Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:decision:

Some of you may remember me talking about Labs- last week I had finally narrowed down the breeder search and was seriously deciding if it might be the right time to put a deposit on one of the pups.

and then I got on facebook.

Somehow first thing on my news feed was this tiny little corgi looking dog- at one of the animal controls (within an hour of my house). The short description was that she had been dropped off, had a litter, and was now looking for a home. It was urgent- she had already been at the shelter for a month and was probably not going to have more than another few days.

Normally I don't cave with dogs- of all the puppies we've fostered over the past 8 years, we've only adopted the service dog that flunked out. Something compelled me to drive down to the rescue and tell them to hold her until today when I could get her to my parents house (I'm in college and can't have dogs where I live this year, but next year we can have breeds under 40 lbs, so I had been looking at dogs that might fufill this in case I wanted to bring them up for a weekend or something.)

So many dogs at the shelter were brought in that she was moved to a crate in one of their volunteers houses- but she is fostering quite a few other dogs and seemed to have it suprisingly under control for a litter of puppies and about five other dogs- I was impressed.

So in short- dog (we need a name) was dropped off at the shelter on 1/17. She gave birth on 1/20. Her milk began to dry up and they tried to use surrogate mothers, but the last of the puppies passed away about a week ago. I then saw her at the shelter on Monday, she was moved to a crate in the garage tuesday, and has been crated pretty much all week.

She's so scared. I know it takes adult dogs a month or two to settle in, and I'm just the type that panics when there's no need to.

Im exhausted, but I was hoping I might get some pointers for tomorrow. I couldnt get my vet to squeeze in an entire wellness visit but we are going to get her bloodwork done to check for heartworms.

-Her stomach is super gurgly. like LOUD gassy noises. She was on cheap purina, we feed Kirkland (I know, not excellent but better than purina) and I was wondering if I should give her puppy or adult. She's a good weight now, but does she need the extra puppy food even though theres no more puppies? Her teats are still big. Should I do rice and chicken with some nutrical for a few days and then switch over to dry? She's just been so many places and so stressed out I'm wondering whats best.

-How long would you normally wait from the date of whelping to spay her? Our two dogs are neutered, but I really dont want her to go into heat again. I didn't want to do it at the shelter because her teats are still big- about when do they return back to normal and would making a spay appointment for the end of March be too soon?

I know this was all of a sudden but something was gnawing at me and I had to get her out of there. Normally I feel like I know exactly what to do with my fosters, but the pregnancy and after effects I know nothing about.

If anyone else wants to throw in anything that'd be great! I'm just tired right now and she really wants to sleep next to me. I normally dont let our dogs on the bed, but I think (hopefully?) it might help her to just feel more secure.

In general- what can I do to help this very rocky transition. I'll put up better pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thank you for adopting a rescue. You rock!

:decision:
...does she need the extra puppy food even though theres no more puppies?
Not if she is a good weight. Kirkland foods are not bad if she does well on one of them.

:Should I do rice and chicken with some nutrical for a few days and then switch over to dry?
Does she have the runs? If not you could just try a very gradual change to the new food.

How long would you normally wait from the date of whelping to spay her?
That will be your vet's call. My vet wouldn't spay my cats until their milk glands were fully dry. I can't remember how long we waited after my dog had her puppies 12 years ago.

If you don't want the dog on your bed, don't start now. Be calm, relaxed, quiet and consistent. You can do it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts