Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and my sister have wanted a dog for a while now, but there is a pretty big problem; both our parents...and our granny are scared of dogs. Of course, they aren't so scared that they won't pet them and feed them and what not, but still, dogs are certainly not their favorite animal.
So i need
1)A dog that DOES NOT scratch or bite when it's older; as a puppy I guess it's okay, but once it gets older furniture and people should not be scratched or bitten.
2)Doesn't bark too much
3)I'm in high school, so I'll need a dog who can chill for a couple of hours while a finish my homework and other things I have to do. Of course, I'll be able to play with it, feed it, and walk it everyday, but still, I can't have a dog who needs constant attention.

And that's about it. Size doesn't matter too much as long as it doesn't look too scary. My house is big and we live in the suburbs with lots of parks.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I wouldn't get a dog at this time. Given not all your family members would be 'thrilled' with the idea, it's probably best to wait until you're out on your own :)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
What about dogs scare your family? I think its going to be incredibly important to figure this out. What is the fear based on?

Also, you will need the consent of your family in order to get a dog, so its imperative they are on board.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
If they're afraid of dogs, I would recommend going somewhere with your family (maybe a dog event) and getting to know some well behaved dogs.
If your parents are like my mom in that "I like looking at dogs from afar but I'd rather not own one," then maybe you should hold off until you're on your own like others have said.
I also adopted my first dog when I was in high school (when he was a puppy), and for 3 years when I was in college my folks had to watch him. Despite what my mom said about owning dogs, she's actually great at taking care of MY dog. And this is definitely something we planned for before making such a big decision.

You're at a very dynamic point in your life and that has its tradeoffs. Now that I'm in my final year of college I am FINALLY able to live with my dog again, but I go to school 800 miles away from home and I am definitely unable to travel as much. If you think this is the right time to get a dog, I hope your entire family is on board, that you guys talk about who's dog this is and who will be responsible for it over the next 10-14 years. Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Look into fostering an older dog, if it works out you can adopt, if it doesn't, you're at least helping even if it's only for a few months.

Puppies are a 15 year commitment, don't know NOT to jump up or chew/bite etc. and are much more busy. An older dog usually is more laid back, calm and quiet and would likely fit in with the family much better, if you do end up leaving them behind to go to school or something, it's less work for your parents if they can look after an older, calmer dog that only needs a walk around the block instead of a ten mile jog.

Lana

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
So me and my sister have wanted a dog for a while now, but there is a pretty big problem; both our parents...and our granny are scared of dogs. Of course, they aren't so scared that they won't pet them and feed them and what not, but still, dogs are certainly not their favorite animal.
So i need
1)A dog that DOES NOT scratch or bite when it's older; as a puppy I guess it's okay, but once it gets older furniture and people should not be scratched or bitten.
2)Doesn't bark too much
3)I'm in high school, so I'll need a dog who can chill for a couple of hours while a finish my homework and other things I have to do. Of course, I'll be able to play with it, feed it, and walk it everyday, but still, I can't have a dog who needs constant attention.

And that's about it. Size doesn't matter too much as long as it doesn't look too scary. My house is big and we live in the suburbs with lots of parks.
Are you going to go to college or into the military after high school? If so, do not get a dog, you don't want to leave it with your parents who are scared of dogs while you are away.

for you requirements:
1) A dog that does not scratch or bite when its older is impossible. Training can prevent bites, but dogs have nails and they can accidentally scratch just by stepping on your feet, or jumping up if you don't train it not to. But the biggest point here is TRAINING. Any dog can not bite or jump but it has to be trained to do so. If you don't train it, you will end up with a big mouthy dog who jumps with their sharp nails.

2) This is another training thing. Yes, some breeds bark less naturally, but if you don't train it, it really doesn't matter what breed you get. Barking also depends on the individual dog as well.

3) See my first sentence before we got into the points. Also, puppies need lots of attention, if you insist on getting a dog, get a dog, not a puppy. And all dogs will require training, this isn't a one month training and then it will be perfect for the rest of its life, constant lifelong training is required.

A dog is not right for a family with not everyone on board. If you cant get everyone in your family wanting a dog (wanting it, not just going along with it) then a cat may be more appropriate, or a fish, fish don't bite or scratch but cats do.

If you must get a dog I would stick with a small breed and an adult dog.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't recommend anyone in high school getting a pet...chances are you'll be moving away to college in a few years, and dogs aren't allowed in dorm rooms. Unless your parents are OK with taking care of the dog for years and years while you're away...I just wouldn't get one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts