Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My name is Kristen and I'm new here! Our family adopted our first ever dog today and we are so excited but I had a few questions. When I got home my husband was going through the paperwork and we noticed that our dog was tested positive for Whipworm on Feb.8, 2012...They did give us the medicine when we adopted her for her next treatment but I didn't know what whip worm was at the time. Our dog, Nelly, got the first treatment for the Whip worm on Feb. 11, 2012 and they told me to give her the next treatment on March. 3. I am just concerned because I am wondering if she is just going to continue getting it now because she has went to the bathroom in our backyard? My husband has picked up each stool and disposed of it as she has went to the bathroom but I read that eggs can live in the soil for up to 5 years. I also have 3 kids and I want to make sure they aren't going to get this..I have 3 young kids...one of which sucks her thumb :( Please!! Any info would help us! I plan on calling the vet on Monday to talk to them but until then I would like some reassurance!! Thank you! Kristen

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Welcome to DF and congrats on the new addition!

As long as you're picking up after her, it's probably fine. The eggs can live in the soil, but only if the feces are left there. Do not allow the dog to sleep in your bed (or the childrens' beds) at least until she has tested negative for worms. What medicine did they give you? I've had really good luck with Panacur, which can be ordered online with no prescription necessary. It's also effective against several other types of worms.

FYI: Often when a dog has one type of parasite, it's not uncommon to find that it also has others, particularly if it came from a shelter. Due to the volume of dogs that go through shelters and the added stress of being in a shelter, it's nearly impossible to keep parasites under control. Take a sample when you go to the vet (just a full poop bag) and have them test for other types of worms. My shelter mutt had roundworms, tapeworms, fleas, and ringworm, all of which I dealt with in the first month. She's been healthy ever since.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
One of our dogs, Webster, was positive for whip worms when we got him (we didn't know til he took him to the vet the next day). GLM pretty much nailed it -- pick up all feces right away, practice especially good hygiene, get a fecal check in addition to the treatment. Talk to you vet about when to do an extra fecal check -- whipworms are cyclic so you may think you killed them all and you may even get a clean fecal sample, but then a few weeks later they are "back"...meaning they were never actually eradicated in the first place. We did not have that issue with Web -- the initial treatments did the trick.

I had another dog already when we brought home Web so we did a couple fecal checks on her as well but she never did get whipworm -- picking up the stool immediately must've done the trick.

Web was on Panacur as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi! Thank you! she is on the Pranacur and has already had one treatment before we got her. I plan on calling the vet on Monday morning to get her in for the heart guard and another fecal sample. We have been picking up all poo so far and will continue :) Thank you so much again!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Dewormers with fenbenzadole are safe for your dog and broad spectrum to kill a wide range of parasites. Because you have very young children, deworming every month is a good idea.

"Deworming should be done 4 times yearly for low risk dogs and MONTHLY for high risk dogs (those that go to daycares/kennel/off leash parks, travel in higher risk areas, or that have regular contact with children under the age of 5)! A Maritime study done a few years ago showed that 17% of children tested positive for dog roundworm antibodies meaning they had ingested enough eggs from dog feces to elicit an antibody response! Ewww!"

From my friend who is a vet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts