Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently got a 2 year old Malamute/Husky mix in a re-homing situation. I'm currently 17 and living with two parents and a 1 year old Ragdoll cat.

The first time they met was complicated, to say the least. I had to go to class right after the long road trip home and I was not there to supervise the meeting of the two. I gave instructions to my parents on how to introduce them (have them in separate rooms, let them smell each other's scent after they've been in a room, etc.) but they ended up completely ignoring me and made them meet face to face.

My mom's already mentioning re-homing him again... and it hasn't even been 24 hours :'( She really prefers cats over dogs,,,

My dad and I really like him though and he's just a big ol' sweety I don't understand how she doesn't like him.

So today I put Google in his kennel and covered it up, fed him some treats facing away from the cat, and fed some treats to the cat as he was on the stairs staring at Google.

Anyways, my cat Potato did not go downstairs for the first day, but today he actually went down by himself! Right now Google just ignores him but Potato is eyeing him and hisses occasionally.

Would you consider this progress? Should I be doing anything differently? Thanks!

TLDR: Parents made dog meet cat face to face, cat is afraid to go downstairs, but is making progress. Do you have any advice or anything else I should be doing?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Cats hate change and are territorial. You have to expect some hissing and crankiness from most cats. If the dog doesn't bother him he should get over it in a week or so. What does the dog do when he sees the cat? If the dog ignores or is friendly with the cat I'd consider that a huge success! But be careful anyway because some dogs ignore the cat until he runs and then prey drive kicks in, so don't get too complacent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts