Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I found a chihuahua/beagle mix on my school's playground about two month's ago, I did all the things to find her family (including the shelter) and no one claimed her, so she came home with me. She is understandably nervous (although has been getting better) but recently when other dogs are sniffing her (at the vet/on walks/etc.) she will turn around a yip/nip at them. She hasn't actually made contact with teeth, it seems more like a warning. She also doesn't do this around dogs that she knows (i.e. is fine around my friends' dogs).

Since she was a stray, I don't really know her history, is there a way to train her to not do this? Or will I just need to watch her around other dogs forever?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Do NOT allow other dogs to touch, sniff, make friends with, come up to and contact your dog. EVER. Period. ESPECIALLY at the vet (where the other dog may be ill!!).

Advocate for your dog. Be her advocate by keeping yourself between the other strange dog and your dog. NEVER allow your dog to greet any other dog on leash (even dogs she knows.). Dogs on leash are forced to meet Face 2 Face which dogs find rude. NEVER allow other dogs to come up and sniff your dog (and return the favor by not allowing your dog to this either).

I have to tell you that if I was sitting somewhere with someone else and another human came into my personal space and touched me I would get testy as well!

I have a saying, "I do not CARE if your dog is 'friendly.' I AM NOT and I BITE." Ha!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Every dog owner should be watching their dog around other dogs forever. There are dogs that are ok with most interactions, on leash, off leash, strangers, kids...but this is not always the case. I'm guessing your dog has been on a leash when these snaps have occurred. You have to remember that she is trapped on the leash and she knows it, even if you think she had a long enough leash to move away from the other dog. Many dogs feel more defensive on leash. Imho it is less about training her to accept this and more about management. There is no reason why she has to accept this. You want her to, but ask yourself why. If she can move through a busy area without problem as long as no one goes up her butt, she is doing well. If however, she is lunging and barking at other dogs just because they pass by, that is an issue and you can work on it. There is a sticky at the top of this page with helpful resources. I have found "Fiesty Fido" helpful. It is on Amazon as kindle or hard copy. One other thing to consider is that it always works better to teach a dog to do something incompatible with the behavior you don't like than it is to teach them not to do something. She may never be ok with a dog up her bum, but you can teach her what to do if that happens, like focus on you. That being said, she has a right to her personal space.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts