Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
That's what I'm talking about, if you start a debate with jesi she throws those pup pictures at you and then you melt and she always wins. It just ain't fair.:D
Epic.

It's true, the secret to my success is the cuteness.

Going off what dogstar said about the leashes, I attach carabeaners (sp?) to the end of all my leashes so that I can easily hook it to my belt, a table, etc. It helps a lot.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
I don't care if she takes my advice or not, honestly. I told her there was lots of good advice on here.

I'm not sure what my questioning the idea of getting a dog when no one is working proves except concern for the dog's well being. If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a dog. But as I already said, she explained why and I see no problem with it. I do think you should have money set aside, but oh well. Not sure how that impacts the other part of my post.

Pretty sure the thread isn't about me, guys. It's about the dog. If you have a problem with my "attitude", report it. The moderators have no problem editing and deleting my posts.
OKAY, i have to say she explained she'd be starting work again.

Also I'm not working and i got a puppy but i also have an awesome vet who charges close to nothing for emergencies, spaying/neutering and shots. For one vet visit my vet charged me only $17.00 that was for office visit, ear mite treatment, nail clipping.

Just because someone isnt making a bunch of money doesnt mean that they dont care about their pets. I hear that so often it gets ridiculus..

***also on a side note: im a veteran, so im not completely penniless)****

NOW back to the original POST

While it may seem impractical, she does give you good advice. BUT you have to follow with what you can. I go with the leash at all times. Dont let them outside together alone, should be under direct supervision. My rottie loved many of the fosters that came in my home but many of them didnt like him. For example: I had a 18 month old male(neutered) eskie come in to my home, he was bossy, aggressive and very assertive with my rottie, doing pretty much what your beagle is doing. I did the separate thing. My rottie had run of the yard, the eskie was tethered either to me or to the porch, i was present. They never shared a room for over 5 months(i had the eskie for almost a year). SLowly the eskie calmed down, somewhat, and no longer tried to boss Mojo. I've got to say try whatever works for you. DO NOT give up it will work out over time doesnt happen over night

JAY:D

The reason I felt it necessary to sleep near the beagle is that he was clawing his crate so frantically, I was afraid he'd catch a claw in the wires and tear it. Our older dog tore a claw once, which required surgery to repair, and I didn't want this dog to do the same thing. I also didn't want to add to his separation anxiety by traumatizing him, after he was "leashed on" to us all day, by then banishing him to another room. He is doing better now, however.
i've had dogs that do this. What i found that worked for me was when he/she was quiet, didnt dig,bark whine, i'd reward that behavior(i do the same thing when getting a dog used to confinement in any room using a gate). I also put a dark blanket over the crate too, it made the dogs i had more comfy.

I wish you luck with this but it will pass he is new to you and you to him, he just needs time to adjust it may take weeks or months but it will eventually happen.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Cracker is so happy to see everyone getting along again! Good list of things to keep in mind, Hardy's mum!

**shuffles around looking for Miss C's puppy pic...just to assess it's reactionary strength!*

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Awwwwwwweeee

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Awwwwwww!!!!!

Okay, but seriously, why won't this work? I click on the "photo" icon above, enter the url of the photo, and nothing.

Okay, I tried adding a photo to my sig.

Testing. Let's see if this works. I hope so!

No, it didn't. ARGH!!! Oh well, nevermind.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Some hosting places won't let you hotlink. Upload the photo to tinypic.com

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Even the photo I uploaded to my signature from my PC isn't showing up. I'm using Firefox and wonder if this a Firefox/Explorer issue. The website for work won't let me access certain things with Firefox.

So, I'll just put my other dog, Teddy, on my avatar so you can see him. He is such a handsome fellow!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
That is very strange.... I can't see them at all!!! All I see on the post are the words.

Oh well... at least you can see them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I just wanted to post an update for anyone who might be reading this. The dogs get along fine now. The beagle still nips at the husky when he's excited, but not as often, and I can distract him by throwing a ball. He LOVES to play fetch. I think he just feels more at home now, and I have learned to tire him out with fetch or a walk every morning and evening.

One of the other things that helped was giving him melatonin once a day, which helps keep him calmer. I don't give it to him all the time, but there are days when he's like an ADHD child or something, literally bouncing off the walls. When that occurs, a 3 mg melatonin tablet works wonders. My vet approved this, by the way.

Also, the beagle hates water. He was attacking (chasing and nipping) another dog that was visiting us, and I started shooting him with a supersized water gun every time he got near her, and that was very effective as a deterrent, as well.

Another thing that seems to have helped is that I took a two-week trip to visit family, and took the new dog with me. I think he really enjoyed the bonding, and I think the old dog felt like he had some time to re-establish his territory at home. I was a little concerned about the reunion, but our older dog was so happy to see us he couldn't stop smiling! God bless his little canine heart. And he's more assertive now, even taking toys away from the beagle at times.

So, it seems to be working out.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Glad to see things are working out now.

I also have a dog (english bully) who hates water. I sprayed him every time he humped my other dog and he has not done it for 2 years. If he's doing something naughty I can make a spray sound "Pssshhh" and he stops what he's doing.

Thank goodness the older dog is happy...that is what saddened me the most about this thread.....our loyal old pups deserve to live their golden years in peace.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts