Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

New Dog Behavior Study (we should all participate!)

5K views 89 replies 21 participants last post by  OwnedbyACDs 
#1 · (Edited)
The Center for Canine Behavior Studies is conducting a big new (two-year) study called the Animal Ownership Interaction Study:

In order to elucidate the positive and negative aspects of owners’ interaction with their dogs, investigators Dodman & Serpell propose the largest owner-dog personality-behavior study ever conducted with a view to establishing once and for all how owner personality and psychological status affects a pet’s behavior. From the results of this study, Dodman & Serpell expect to be able to help owners understand the influence they are having on their pet’s behavior and to be able to modify their interactions with their dog in a positive way.

Dodman & Serpell believe the study will also help predict which owner personality types are most compatible with a particular dog that they plan to adopt, thereby helping ensure a harmonious pairing, owner satisfaction, and the adopted dog thus having a home for life.
You can read more about it and sign up here, and when you do, you get a free Dognition assessment as well. I registered Casper for the study (because he's the one with more behavioral issues!) and Crystal for the Dognition thing so we could do the fun games.

Here's an article about the study. They're expecting to get more than 5,000 participants from all over the world. It would be cool if a bunch of us were from DF!

#3 ·
I did it! I love studies.

Does anyone know how you get the free Dognition thing if you already have a membership? I paid for Watson so I have an account but I'd like to use the free one for Hazel and I'm not seeing how to do that.

#7 ·
I signed up, too. Molly for the survey, Kylie for dognition.

#9 ·
Dognition is kind of a canine personality test. They give you activities to do, and based on your dog's score they bucket them into different core personality types. They also ask a fair number of questions about the amount of training your dog has, stuff you do with them, etc. It's for a research project at Duke. There are some PBS documentaries about it, and ireth0 started a thread about it a while ago if you want more info. I've done most of it with Watson and it was fun, but my husband and I are way too critical and poked a lot of holes in the way some of the tests are run or scored, which made it less fun.

Anyone with an existing account get it to add a new free dog? I still can't figure it out. It will only give me the free thing if I sign in with a new email.

#15 ·
The Center for Canine Behavior Studies is conducting a big new (two-year) study called the Animal Ownership Interaction Study:

You can read more about it and sign up here, and when you do, you get a free Dognition assessment as well. I registered Casper for the study (because he's the one with more behavioral issues!) and Crystal for the Dognition thing so we could do the fun games.

Here's an article about the study. They're expecting to get more than 5,000 participants from all over the world. It would be cool if a bunch of us were from DF!
I am doing it!!!

#16 ·
I'll do it when the e-mail gets to me about the whole thing!
I'm actually pretty excited about it!

#19 ·
I was just going to say I don't know how well it would work with puppies. Several of the exercises involve the dog paying attention to what you're doing for several seconds and then being allowed to respond, I could easily see a puppy not having the attention span and just bounding around willy-nilly which would skew your results for sure.

#21 ·
I just went to sign up and it said the study is temporarily suspended...anyone else have this happen?

#23 ·
Are you all getting your confirmation e-mails from the first step, instantaneously?
I inputted my e-mail three+ hours ago and it says the instructions have been sent, but I haven't gotten anything.

#25 ·
I got my email instantly. Maybe check the spam folder?

And I agree with those who said it would not work well on puppies. Maybe a 6 month old? Partially because some things require more attention span, and partially because I'm not sure puppies would have developed as much as individuals he if you did it super early.

#31 ·
I changed e-mails and it came to my work e-mail instantaneously. I checked all my folders on my Hotmail and it still didn't show up so I gave up on that.
Am excited to work on Dognition tonight!

#35 ·
I wonder if they're getting more interest in the study than they expected! I heard of it via Facebook (I think Victoria Stilwell shared the link), so it's making the rounds.

#37 · (Edited)
I said a lot of "sometimes" too!

I'm attempting to play the Dognition games, however the videos take 12 years to load. It's a minute and twenty four second video explaining to me that I'm supposed to say the word "Yellow" and I've been waiting 10 minutes for it to load.

Edit to Add: It has now been a full hour and I can't get through the first video yet. I have refreshed the page and restarted my computer. No difference.
However, I CAN still watch Netflix and youtube videos without buffering. *rolls eyes*

Edit #2
Did the test without watching the videos. Took me like 2 hours to do by myself. It said it would take about the same time as the average walk. By the end we were bother super tired.

She got the "Charmer" personality type and I think the most interesting piece of information I got was that she chooses her memory before my help. I point to the wrong cup, she remembers me putting it in the other one. She 100% ignores my pointing and goes to the correct cup. Among other things.

#39 · (Edited)

Shae got socialite for Dognition. Wanted to share the full results, but the URL has my very uncommon last name in it. She wasn't a fan of the memory section and by the end of the "point to the empty cup" game, she had enough of being wrong and went to go sniff the wrong cup yet again only to take off with it because playing with cups is more fun than not getting a treat. For the delayed memory, she didn't forget the location of the treat so much as she just stopped caring about it while waiting and her being released meant she wanted to come see me. But yeah, way different results there for her than the average dog. Would love to see what others get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.