Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Center for Canine Behavior Studies is conducting a big new (two-year) study called the Animal Ownership Interaction Study:

In order to elucidate the positive and negative aspects of owners’ interaction with their dogs, investigators Dodman & Serpell propose the largest owner-dog personality-behavior study ever conducted with a view to establishing once and for all how owner personality and psychological status affects a pet’s behavior. From the results of this study, Dodman & Serpell expect to be able to help owners understand the influence they are having on their pet’s behavior and to be able to modify their interactions with their dog in a positive way.

Dodman & Serpell believe the study will also help predict which owner personality types are most compatible with a particular dog that they plan to adopt, thereby helping ensure a harmonious pairing, owner satisfaction, and the adopted dog thus having a home for life.
You can read more about it and sign up here, and when you do, you get a free Dognition assessment as well. I registered Casper for the study (because he's the one with more behavioral issues!) and Crystal for the Dognition thing so we could do the fun games.

Here's an article about the study. They're expecting to get more than 5,000 participants from all over the world. It would be cool if a bunch of us were from DF!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I did it! I love studies.

Does anyone know how you get the free Dognition thing if you already have a membership? I paid for Watson so I have an account but I'd like to use the free one for Hazel and I'm not seeing how to do that.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I completed the survey. It's largely about the owners mental status than about your dog. FYI. Should be interesting what they come up with in the next 2 years.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
So cool! I used Ryker for the survey and Panzer for the Dognition.

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
I signed up, too. Molly for the survey, Kylie for dognition.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Dognition is kind of a canine personality test. They give you activities to do, and based on your dog's score they bucket them into different core personality types. They also ask a fair number of questions about the amount of training your dog has, stuff you do with them, etc. It's for a research project at Duke. There are some PBS documentaries about it, and ireth0 started a thread about it a while ago if you want more info. I've done most of it with Watson and it was fun, but my husband and I are way too critical and poked a lot of holes in the way some of the tests are run or scored, which made it less fun.

Anyone with an existing account get it to add a new free dog? I still can't figure it out. It will only give me the free thing if I sign in with a new email.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Dognition is kind of a canine personality test. They give you activities to do, and based on your dog's score they bucket them into different core personality types. They also ask a fair number of questions about the amount of training your dog has, stuff you do with them, etc. It's for a research project at Duke. There are some PBS documentaries about it, and ireth0 started a thread about it a while ago if you want more info. I've done most of it with Watson and it was fun, but my husband and I are way too critical and poked a lot of holes in the way some of the tests are run or scored, which made it less fun.

Anyone with an existing account get it to add a new free dog? I still can't figure it out. It will only give me the free thing if I sign in with a new email.
This could be a really fun thing for the BF and I to do until we poke the same holes in the scores!!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Can you make a new email address to sign up with?

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Can you make a new email address to sign up with?
I could use my husband's email or something, I'd much rather have both dogs on the same account.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
The Center for Canine Behavior Studies is conducting a big new (two-year) study called the Animal Ownership Interaction Study:

You can read more about it and sign up here, and when you do, you get a free Dognition assessment as well. I registered Casper for the study (because he's the one with more behavioral issues!) and Crystal for the Dognition thing so we could do the fun games.

Here's an article about the study. They're expecting to get more than 5,000 participants from all over the world. It would be cool if a bunch of us were from DF!
I am doing it!!!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'll do it when the e-mail gets to me about the whole thing!
I'm actually pretty excited about it!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I've never done the Dognition thing before, how well do you think it will work with puppies?

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I've never done the Dognition thing before, how well do you think it will work with puppies?
I was just going to say I don't know how well it would work with puppies. Several of the exercises involve the dog paying attention to what you're doing for several seconds and then being allowed to respond, I could easily see a puppy not having the attention span and just bounding around willy-nilly which would skew your results for sure.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I was just going to say I don't know how well it would work with puppies. Several of the exercises involve the dog paying attention to what you're doing for several seconds and then being allowed to respond, I could easily see a puppy not having the attention span and just bounding around willy-nilly which would skew your results for sure.
Panzer is more attentive than the 2 grown hounds so maybe it wouldn't make a difference in my case lol

1 - 20 of 90 Posts