Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,424 Posts
Just ignore her. No need to sleep on the couch. Or look at them. Looking is still attention. Making a loud noise to stop her is still attention. You coming back downstairs to sit on the couch is still attention. Her barking has been rewarded. And it is perfectly normal for a new dog to bark and whine for attention. Its a new home, and they're seeing what the rules are. You've shown her the rules are if she barks and makes a fuss, someone will come out and look at her!

·
Super Moderator
3,424 Posts
So just to clarify, if she is barking and I'm in a room where she can't see me. If I come into a room she can see me but don't even look her direction but do say dishes, would that be rewarding? So I should just stay in a room where she can't see me until she calms down.
It might be. Depends on the dog. "I'm barking, human comes into the room, awesome!" might be a connection the dog makes. Are your crates covered? Try covering them so the dog can't see out at all. You could also try moving the crates into a room where its easier to ignore them, like a spare bedroom, a laundry room, so if you want to do some chores while your dogs are making a fuss you never have to go into 'their room' and they never see you until they quiet themselves.

And no, it's not hopeless. You just have to be very consistent with your expectations.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts