Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted a new dog to help my current dog with her isolation anxiety and help divert some of her attention seeking from me (I can only play tug for an hour). Last night, my current dog slept at her trainer's while I got the new dog used to the house and to me. I slept on the couch near her crate and she did great, making very little noise. When I first got her, she was pretty timid but by the end of today she was letting me pet her and was making great eye contact. So around 5p, I took her to the trainers to introduce her to my current dog. They got on great and played very well. I brought them home and fed them in their crates (a few feet apart in the family room). Then took them outside to potty and play. I took my current dog first and the new dog barked and whined while she waited for me to come get her. She was quite worked up that it took a while for to settle enough to let her out (her previous owner required this if her as well and before meeting my current dog she was great at this). Once out they both did great. The new dog did try to seek my attention a few times but it wasn't bad. They played hard and when I brought them back in, about an hour before bedtime, they passed out in their crates which gave me time to shower. At bedtime, I took each one outside individually to go potty. Whichever one was left behind barked while the other was out. I took the current dog first, based on my trainer's recommendation. Once they were both back in, I gave them both treats, turned out the lights and went upstairs to get ready for bed (as is my usual routine). My current dog went straight to sleep, the new dog started barking non-stop. I made a loud noise to stop her, which worked, and went down and sat on the couch for a little completely ignoring them. After they both sounded like they were asleep, I went back upstairs, within minutes the new dog was barking again. I made a loud noise, she stopped and I gave her some melatonin, set up a fan for white noise and waited on the couch reading until she fell asleep. She was out for about 2 hours then started barking again. Again I made a loud noise, this time she only paused in her barking but I took that pause and went downstairs. I took the new dog to potty, which made my current dog wake and start barking. Then I took my current dog potty. I gave them no attention except occasionally looking at them. The new dog kept trying to get my attention before peeing. They both peed when I took them. I decided to go back to bed. The new dog barked for an hour after that and I just ignored her. She slept for an hour, then barked again for 45 minutes while I ignored her.

I'm guessing I probably should have slept on the couch again tonight but at her previous living arrangement, which was a good one, she slept in a family room full of other dogs, each in their crates. The previous owners would rotate who got to sleep with them but as they had so many dogs she only got to sleep with them once a month. That's why I thought she would be fine sleeping in the same room with my current dog for company.

Should stay the course I have set tonight if her sleeping in the family room or should I sleep on the couch, moving the couch further and further away from her crate over the next week? There is no way on earth she is going to be allowed to sleep in my room.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Just ignore her. No need to sleep on the couch. Or look at them. Looking is still attention. Making a loud noise to stop her is still attention. You coming back downstairs to sit on the couch is still attention. Her barking has been rewarded. And it is perfectly normal for a new dog to bark and whine for attention. Its a new home, and they're seeing what the rules are. You've shown her the rules are if she barks and makes a fuss, someone will come out and look at her!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn. I was worried that was the case. The second time I was scared she needed to use the restroom. I don't know her potty habits yet. This morning though, when I came downstairs she had had explosive diarrhea in the night so the previous owner thought that was the issue. She said the new dog never barked like that in the night at her house. I'm glad you agree I get to sleep in my bed. I think I'm going to grab my ear plugs just in case.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So just to clarify, if she is barking and I'm in a room where she can't see me. If I come into a room she can see me but don't even look her direction but do say dishes, would that be rewarding? So I should just stay in a room where she can't see me until she calms down.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it a hopeless cause now that she has learned the rule is someone will come pay attention to her if she barks/whines/makes a fuss?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
So just to clarify, if she is barking and I'm in a room where she can't see me. If I come into a room she can see me but don't even look her direction but do say dishes, would that be rewarding? So I should just stay in a room where she can't see me until she calms down.
It might be. Depends on the dog. "I'm barking, human comes into the room, awesome!" might be a connection the dog makes. Are your crates covered? Try covering them so the dog can't see out at all. You could also try moving the crates into a room where its easier to ignore them, like a spare bedroom, a laundry room, so if you want to do some chores while your dogs are making a fuss you never have to go into 'their room' and they never see you until they quiet themselves.

And no, it's not hopeless. You just have to be very consistent with your expectations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts