Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 year old lab/cattle dog mix (Lex) that I have had about 9 months. He's usually pretty high energy. Last weekend (8/26) we adopted a new cattle dog from a rescue. He's 18 months. This dog (Marcos) was so new that he had just been neutered on 8/23. He has a slight case of light heartworms and has been on medicine for that.

Marcos is very lovable but over the past day or so has been acting a little more tired than we expected out of him.

He had to go back a week ago to get the neuter wound restitched. The dogs have been battling over toys and wresting together for a couple of days. The visit to the vet never slowed him down. We took them on some really long walks over the weekend. I wonder if we over tired him out.

Marcos seems to now be content to let Lex chase the ball in the yard and he will just chill on the side of the yard. In the house he seems to just sit on the dog bed. When you approach him, he rolls over and you can see his belly and pet him. He eats, so he's not acting sick or hurt. Even when he approaches you, he doesn't stand, he just flops over and shows off his belly.

In some regards he's calmed down a little since he got here, maybe was trying too hard to impress us. But I'm a little worried that there's something wrong. Maybe the testosterone wearing off since he's been neutered a while? Lex still loves running around so I don't get it.

Any thoughts?

thanks

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
It could be the new environment, surgery, re-stitching, adjustment to hormones and heartworm medication. It's an awful lot for any dog to go through, so in that sense, if he's having a low-key day, so be it.

BUT (and I have no personal experience with heartworms) my understanding is that with fast kill method, exercise is off limits for at least 4 weeks. Slow kill method (assuming Marcos is on) is still breaking up the worms and sending segments through the bloodstream. For that reason, and the wound being restitched, I would be calling the vet to see what they think.

With everything he's been through, I'd give him a chance to rest, but I'd also be asking my vet lots of questions about signs that you should look out for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's eating well and pooping just fine. He's on the heartworm preventative treatment, yes, I was told it would take a while.

I watching him this evening, I think he's sprained something. He wanted to hop up on the couch but was very tentative about it. The other dog is bigger and they were really going at it with all the wrestling, I'm hoping it's just a strain.

He'll have a quite day in his crate tomorrow, so maybe the rest will do home some good.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
always could check him for Lymes disease. if its plausible in your climate. Lymes disease causes soreness and joint pain. making a young dog act "old" its a lot of times mimics arthritis and then usually progresses from there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I took him to the vet this evening. They felt his rear leg muscle and figured out that's what's bothering him. He's being separated from his buddy since I think he got hurt wrestling. It's sad snce they are separated by a kid gate and they want to play. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts