Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently received a Husky from a family member. They say he is 9 months old but gosh he is big. We know that we are now is 4th family. The first family he was with the man was disabled and really couldn't handle a dog of that size so he gave him to one of his family members who had other dogs so HE gave him to my SIL and her family. We took him because they are not responsible pet owners and he would be better off anywhere but there. Anywho........the reason I am a little nervous is that I have a 1 year old and today she was crawling around and crawled on his feet and he growled at her so I put him in his crate. He seems a little temperamental but then again he is new to our household and doesn't know us yet. I really am not familiar with the breed as I have only had and have German Shepherds. I really don't know how to begin with behavior issues because I really don't know his story and I can't really believe what my SIL tells me. Any advice would be appreciated greatly. :)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Probably the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to never let the dog near the child alone. If you cannot be with the child, then the dog needs to be somewhere else, whether it's out in a fenced yard or crated, or tethered to you. It will take some time for him to get used to the child, and you need to be there at all times. With the child in your lap, if you feel it is safe, you can let the dog come up and sit with you, and get used to the smell of the baby. But keep an extremely close eye.

·
Banned
182 Posts
For G's sakes either get your act together or get rid of the dog ASAP . Its not far from a growl to a bite, and he's big enough to do serious permanent damage to a one year old.

My honest advice, on reading your post again: get rid of the dog. You obviously don't feel right about this dog and your ability with it so it should not be in a house with your one year old. There's lots of other dogs to save, if that is your thing, later when you are better prepared. Safety first.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In dog language the growl is a warning. Most likely after so many houses, he is trying to est. his order and rank in your pack. Unfortnately, Your baby is at the bottom. Seek professional advice from a qualified trainer/behaviorist before this gets worse. He may be better off in a home without young children, unless you have a professional working to correct the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
He might be better off in a family without young children. You could go through training, etc, but if it were me and a dog growled at my toddler, I would NEVER put my toddler near that dog again. It's putting your baby in serious danger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts