Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Chinese Crested Rescue Puppy (Puppy Mill Born and Rescued by Petfinder) since September 2008, with birthdate January 2008. I suffered a stroke in June 2008 and he has been my constant "Lapbaby" and "Love Companion" since he came to me. He had many, many awful habits to overcome when he arrived, the worst of which was urinating and pooping in his crate and not minding one bit that he was laying in it and even eating in there afterward, if we ever had to leave him for any length of time. After much discussion about how NASTY that was, and encouragement for him to use puppy pads (I was unable to walk to take him out during the day while we were home by ourselves, so puppy pads were our only choice.), he now regularly uses the puppy pads to urinate, but still refuses to poop on them. That is not the story here, but if you have ANY suggestions as to how I can solve that problem, I would truly appreciate it. He always poops within a foot radius of his puppy pad container, but refuses to poop in there. He has NEVER, not one time done so and I have tried all I know to try. EVERYTHING that I have read has been tried with no luck, so suggestions are very, very welcome.

NOW, to the DANGEROUS behavior that he started yesterday. He has always been in the house with me as I am recuperating from my stroke. He is taken for a walk outside, every day that the weather permits, and is played with inside, down a pretty long hallway, so that he has quite a long way to run and fetch his toy to bring back to Mommy. He has NEVER tried to go out the door when it was opened. That is until yesterday. I started out the door and before I could close it, he popped out and ran toward my chocolate lab that stays outside. Our Boston Terrier, that stays both inside and out, was inside at the time. He starts toward the Lab, greets him with his sweet hello, and darts toward the driveway, toward the road and mailbox where he and I walk every day. I calmly say, "Come", and he looks back and keeps going. I panic, he runs in the yard, hubby comes running and finally, after much, "I will be still until Daddy gets to me and then I will run just far enough away that he can't catch me" kind of behavior- my hubby finally succeeds in catching him. He hands him to me and I scold him thoroughly, and take him inside and in his kennel for a time out. I have always found that it usually only takes one time out in his kennel for him to stop the behavior he was put in there for. TODAY, SAME THING but this time, he RUNS ACROSS THE ROAD, me screaming and trying not to chase him, but terrified that a car would make him "Road Kill". I could not stand the thought. We finally catch him, quite a few minutes later, in our neighbor's yard across the street.

My question is - "How can I see that this doesn't happen again?" I cannot bear the thought of him getting killed because of this. I thought I was being very careful as I went out the door today, to make certain that he didn't follow or dart out, but he did. PLEASE help. I will do ANYTHING I need to do to see that this does not happen. He is normally the most well-behaved, sweet-natured little boy that ever was. He and I are training together for him to be able to go with me as a service dog because of him being able to realize when my health issues get to a dangerous place. He has been on two trips with me and has been wonderful both times. He MUST obey if he is to be allowed to travel with me and keep training with our trainer. HELP!!! I want this stopped now and also want it stopped before we start meeting with our new trainer. Can anyone help me solve my problem? This dog is the joy of my life and means the world to me because of how he helps me with my illnesses and is able to know when I am going to be very, very ill and need outside help. I must solve this problem so that our working together will not be disrupted.

Thank you,
bargainmom08

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Don't scold your dog when he's caught, if he comes to you or put him in his crate as punishment. He has no earthly idea why you are reprimanding him, all he knows is that he was picked up and yelled at. That's a good way to get him to associate being in your presence as a negative thing. He hasn't been trained to stay in the yard, so you can't reprimand him for something he hasn't learned.
Second - where is this dogs leash? That's a sure fire way to get this behavior under control. Get a 20 foot lead, that way he has enough room to run around, but not run off. ;)

Boundary training takes time and something your trainer can help you with.

Here is a good training article to help you with bolting out the door.
http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2001/doorways.htm

Another thing you want to train is recall. http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2002/recall.htm

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Short term,
My question is - "How can I see that this doesn't happen again?" I cannot bear the thought of him getting killed because of this. I thought I was being very careful as I went out the door today, to make certain that he didn't follow or dart out, but he did. PLEASE help.
You thought you were being carefull but with health problems you have had your reflexes no matter how careful you are will not match dog's. Instead of putting dog in crate for running outside which as Box21 has already covered does nothing to solve the bolting problem. Please put dog in crate before opening any door. This at the very least should cut down on some of the accidents. Then work with trainer to solve problem. Unless your dog has a remote control that opens doors this at least should help you. The problem is you have a lifelong habit of just walking to door and opening it. I would hang a big sign on door (both sides) that says "WHERE'S THE DOG" and act accordingly.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I think I mis-read the OP whole post. :rolleyes: I thought the dog was running off when let outside AND bolting out the door. Further proof that I don't need to be on the forum before I have coffee!! I apologize for being a doofus.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
As others have covered, do not punish your dog for coming back to you (or letting himself be caught). It will only teach him not to be caught next time... "I'm running around having fun, but if they catch me I'll get scolded and put in a time-out."

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I think I mis-read the OP whole post. :rolleyes: I thought the dog was running off when let outside AND bolting out the door. Further proof that I don't need to be on the forum before I have coffee!! I apologize for being a doofus.
Well as a fellow doofus I accept your apology, I can't speak for rest of forum though to those of them that know you well it might be a hard sell.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew that I was doing the wrong thing by putting him in his crate when we caught him and also knew scolding him wasn't the correct thing, BUT being terrified and crying, I overreacted. Since my stroke, my emotions aren't controlled well when it comes to the crying easily thing. Having said this, my question is, what should I have done when I caught him?? If I had not been upset, I still would not have know what to do.

I LOVE the reply about putting a sign on the door to remind myself that he might dart out. This would be especially helpful with my "Stroke" brain.

The person who responded about him being on a leash - He has NEVER been outdoors without being on a leash. NOT ONCE, NOT EVER, NOR WILL HE EVER BE. Remember, this is my baby. (I think you also said that you had misunderstood that part about my post. I did all caps above to try and emphasize that I am responsible and don't just let him have free reign around the yard.) But, I do not have one of the leashes like you mentioned and suggested. I have just a regular nylon one with a halter collar. Chinese Cresteds are not supposed to wear regular collars because their skin is so sensitive that a regular collar will tear their skin up and make sores. I have to be very careful with his skin. I will check on this when I get paid and have some money to buy it.

Again, thank ALL of you so very much for your answers. One thing I did not see as an answer is how you taught your dog to come to you the instant you call him. Razz does have a problem with that and always has. 99% of the time it is not a problem because he does not leave my side. When he is always with me, I do not need him to come when called. So, how do I get him to come, immdiately, no matter what - the instant I call him. There has got to be a great way to teach this effectively.

Thank you all. Happy doggy day to you.
bargainmom08 :):):)

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I LOVE the reply about putting a sign on the door to remind myself that he might dart out. This would be especially helpful with my "Stroke" brain.
Trust me on this it has nothing to do with "Stroke" brain but more with muscle/brain memory. I am a cancer survivor and am familiar with the emotion problems while going through chemo etc. Opening and shutting doors are something automatic that we don't always think about just do it. They have bright colored tape that can be put on door eye level or by door knob whatever it takes to stop problem completely. Then you have time to work on come or stay work etc.

I am negative type trainer but somebody will get on as I don't think (at least I didn't) you wanted training program just a quick way to help you with dog.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
There is a very inexpensive booklet you can get from www.dogwise.com called "Really Reliable Recall." It is a step by step book on how to put a recall on your dog so he comes no matter what. This is not for every day recall work, but a speicial word used on rare occiasions when coming when called really really REALLY counts.. such as the dog heading for a busy road etc.

I recommend you get this booklet and follow the instructions.

I would also suggest you get a book called "The Complete Idiots Guide to Positive Dog Training" by Pamela Dennison. It is a step by step book on dog training using rewards etc. It is a great little book and will give you and your dog(s) something fun to do while you recover from your illness. This book is also not expensive and you may be able to get it used for either Barnes and Noble or Amazon.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I knew that I was doing the wrong thing by putting him in his crate when we caught him and also knew scolding him wasn't the correct thing, BUT being terrified and crying, I overreacted. Since my stroke, my emotions aren't controlled well when it comes to the crying easily thing. Having said this, my question is, what should I have done when I caught him?? If I had not been upset, I still would not have know what to do.
Some would say that you should actually reward the dog with praise, to reinforce that being back with you is a good thing, even though he was very slow about it. Personally I would just be quiet, not look at the dog and take him straight home. He would not be crated. Basically, I would not react.

Again, thank ALL of you so very much for your answers. One thing I did not see as an answer is how you taught your dog to come to you the instant you call him. Razz does have a problem with that and always has. 99% of the time it is not a problem because he does not leave my side. When he is always with me, I do not need him to come when called. So, how do I get him to come, immdiately, no matter what - the instant I call him. There has got to be a great way to teach this effectively.

Thank you all. Happy doggy day to you.
bargainmom08 :):):)
Teaching an instant recall that is 100% effective in all situations is VERY difficult. It is an ongoing process that takes a long time to teach. Some dogs never get it. You need to practice the "come" command - practice, practice, practice. Practice in a low-distraction environment, like your living room. When he's mastered it in your living room, then you can try in your yard with him leashed. When he's mastered it there, move up to an area that is slightly more distracting. Be VERY gradual. "Really Reliable Recall" is supposed to be very good. This thread may also help:
http://www.dogforums.com/3-dog-training-forum/48024-problems-off-lead.html

·
Registered
129 Posts
My parent's SCWT used to rush the door when it was opened and then run around outside like it was a fun game. After we taught her STAY we would increase the stays to the point where we could walk out of the room and open/close the front door. We also practiced stays right in front of the door. It has helped enormously!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think everyone else covered the recall thing, here goes something for the pooping. I know you said that he doesn't have a problem pooping in the crate, but this might still work.

Use a baby gate and gate off an area like the end of a hallway where you can fit the training pads and the crate. Ideally you would have just a little section with no extra room besides just crate and pad. Leave the door open to the crate and let the dog stay in the crate for awhile (or whenever you leave). Hopefully the dog will prefer to not poop in the crate just enough to walk out and poop on the pad since those are the only two options. Worth a try! What will it be. . .the crate or the pad? We will see. . .;)

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
One thing I did not see as an answer is how you taught your dog to come to you the instant you call him. Razz does have a problem with that and always has. 99% of the time it is not a problem because he does not leave my side. When he is always with me, I do not need him to come when called. So, how do I get him to come, immdiately, no matter what - the instant I call him. There has got to be a great way to teach this effectively.

Practice, practice, practice! Elena's link to the really reliable recall is excellent. I have a word I use when it's a situation where there is danger (French word for Poodle, which is caniche), and then one for every day. To practice recall, I use a long line, begin when the dog is hungry, and have garlic chicken or something equally yummy that the dog loves. I start out in the house (in every room of the house), then in the back yard, then the front yard, then at the park, adding distractions to proof the dog.

Again, practice, practice, practice!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
100% wit hthe recall training!!! you need to be sure the dog knows it's ALWAYS better to come when you call him NO MATTER WHAT he's doing. I'd even add a whistle in the mix for emergency recall! Be sure to use REALLY high value rewards for this training and taper them off once the command is learned (fade the lure)!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts