Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying something new, which of course means making stuff for Sam. As if he's not spoiled already, haha.

Whole thing's a single piece of paracord, with almost no strain being taken by the knotted ends. We took it out for a try today.

Works pretty good!

There'll be more to come, once Sam's new ID tags I ordered arrive.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That looks awesome! I’ve been super into sewing cute martingale collars recently. I’d love to try something in paracord at some point. Did you make up the design yourself or find it online?

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A little bit of both! I did most of it using a youtube tutorial, but there the whole thing was that flat Solomon's knot you see on the lead part. I find round handles easier on my hands, so I switched the handle part to that snake knot you see instead.

It was really fast and easy to learn, though. And it's great to be able to work up a nice-looking finished product as a complete amateur.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally got the ID tags I ordered today!

Confession time, Sam figured out he could jump over the wall by his potty area a couple weeks back. And then over the planter we set up to block the exit. Thankfully we back up to a school, not a road, but after a couple chases (yes, I know his recall needs work) and a couple asthma attacks, I decided he needs an ID collar as well as his microchip. Just in case. Especially since he doesn't go out to potty in his harness.

This isn't meant to hook a leash to, hence the lack of any kind of ring. It'd be too thin on his neck anyway. But at least now he's got a phone number on him.

And yes, we have blocked off the exit even more thoroughly, now.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finished a doozy today. Double-ended lead:

My hands are killing me. We did break it in, but I didn't get any in-use photos. I'll get some soon!

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! I'm working largely off YouTube tutorials right now, so I can't claim the design at all, but I'm really proud of the results. I'm hoping to find paracord needles soon, which will make some of the physically hard parts easier. Hopefully.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love these! I'm definitely going to be ordering materials soon!

I go running with Mouse and have his leash attached to a hip belt, but all the leashes I have now aren't the ideal length, so this way I can make one that is perfect.

P.s. I hadn't seen Sam besides in your profile pic, but he's adorable. I love how much personality you can see even in just pictures!

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The customizability is great. My next big project is going to be a harness, because finding one that fits nicely and has all of the attachment points I want is tricky (darn deep chest!). Will probably fiddle around with some smaller non-dog related projects first, though.

And thanks! He really is a charmer. Even with the frustration reactivity, he's such a good fit for us, and we were lucky to find him.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It looks like it works really well! I actually picked up some paracord and I keep thinking I am going to sit down to work on a running leash, but we are working on building a climbing wall in our backyard, so instead I am keep getting asked to lift and hold things in place!

Seeing Sam's little poof on top of his head makes me giggle and is giving me a chance to smile in my otherwise not so fun work day!

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking good, AddieCrow! How's the solomon's knot on your hands? I find a rounded handle more comfortable, personally, but I like it for the lead part of my rainbow leash. Though I should have made it tighter, whoops.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looking good, AddieCrow! How's the solomon's knot on your hands? I find a rounded handle more comfortable, personally, but I like it for the lead part of my rainbow leash. Though I should have made it tighter, whoops.
Thank you ? and I havnt tried to do a rounded handle after the "normal" braid for the leash part. Most of the time when I use a leash with dexter I just fold it and hold on to the leash like that or I use the handle I made thats on his vest, so it's hard to say for me how rough it is on my hands haha. I am working on trying different styles tho, I love the rounded blue one you posted.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That one is mostly crown knots. Really nice finished product, but getting each one super tight a million times while juggling the super long working ends was. Intense. If I do it again, I may stick to a shorter lead.

It's actually a dark green and light grey in person!

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still dog related, I swear!

These are marker sticks. They're used for a kind of SAR sport over here called rundering, but I don't know what the english language equivalent is - if there even is one. The dog is sent out to find people in the surrounding terrain, then returns with a marker stick if it finds something, and finally leads the handler back. At first the "lost" helper holds the marker and gives it to the dog, but later the dog wears the marker and only grabs it if they find something.

This was a request by my MiL, who's doing rundering with her male Leonberger puppy Monsen. The short ones I miscalculated the amount of cord I needed, but I made her one 15cm and one 20cm to see which she liked better.

We're keeping the short ones. Sam thinks they're chew toys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts