Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've been clicker training Biscuit since we got here, including in the obedience classes we did a couple months back, and it's been working great. I love the clicker!

The clicker we had been using looks like http://www.amazon.com/StarMark-Clicker-Dog-Training-System/dp/B000FMDIL6"]this , but recently the button fell off so I bought a couple of new ones. The new ones I bought are the Karen Pryor ones, which look like this. The new ones click more quietly and generally sound different from the old one. I've clicker-trained dogs before but all the clickers I've ever had have sounded the same until these new ones.

My question is, and this might be the world's dumbest dog training question, but do I need to re-prime the clicker since the marker sound has changed? Or can I just continue using it as normal and Biscuit will get that it means the same thing? Maybe I should semi-prime it, like use it for some really basic commands?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Hey, I have that StarMark clicker. Love that thing. Love how LOUD it is. I lost the i-Click one (I ordered that one with the StarMark since I've heard people swear by both) due a recent situation (where the StarMark one survived in tact). Both replaced a standard box-type clicker that I wore out.

For Wally and I, there was no need to 're-charge' the clicker. I might would try it with some well-known/basic behaviors first, just to let him hear the sound of it, but I think he'll catch on to the concept. Everything is still the same, so the marker training concepts you've put in his head will likely carry over without a hitch. Wally seems sound sensitive, but he had no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear, thanks! I did love how loud the Starmark clicker was, especially for outdoor things. I might still get another one to attach to the leash. The iClick ones seem too quiet to be heard on a busy city street.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Yeah, sometimes the iClick sound got lost in the sounds of a lot of kids playing outside (on top of trying to train around kids so that he can work on focusing on the task around distractions, but then kids forever wanting to pet him LOL). I pretty much use it as an "indoor" clicker when I can keep things quieter. Even then, the StarMark one just seemed to "catch" him more. Maybe it sounds more unique to him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts