Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got this sweet 7 week old 3 days ago and she had some injuries that the breeder attributed to her siblings, as she was the runt and apparently "picked on".

At the vet yesterday for her initial wellness exam the vet didn't question the breeders explanation regarding the injuries on her face being from sibling "rough housing" but thought it could possibly be ringworm.

Today it seems the sores have spread and, judging from various photos online, looks very similar to ringworm. I called the breeder and informed her of the potential ringworm and asked if I should go to a vet. Her advice was to not go back to the vet and to use "MicroTek", a primarily horse based skin shampoo that, according to her, works excellent.

Here are some close up photos of the affected areas. Any advice on how you would handle this? Does this look like ringworm?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Well I'm all for finding stuff that works at home without an unnecessary vet visit..... however, her little face looks awful.

Why didn't the vet treat it while you were there?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Go back to the vet. Poor baby :(
Agreed. I'd do what the vet tells you to in regards to treatment. Unless it's infected, a sore from playing with a littermate shouldn't look near that bad. My puppy has tiny scratches and scabs from his littermates, but nothing even close to that severe.

Also, 6.5 weeks old is on the very young side to be taking a puppy home. Are you saying that she had these sores when you got her and that the breeder assumed they were injuries from siblings and didn't take her to the vet to have them checked before sending her home with you? Some of the things you're saying about this breeder are really concerning me.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Why didn't the vet give you something for ringworm while you were there? Honestly, I've got less and less respect for vets these days. I used to be all about taking my pets at the first sign of problems. But after several misdiagnoses over the years, a couple of which might have significantly contributed to the deaths of beloved pets, I'm more for trusting my own judgement and trying out my own remedies these days. Ringworm looks awful but isn't a big deal, in the long run. If it were my pup I'd be angry at the breeder for sending a pup home with a skin infection. But then I'd get over it, buy an OTC cream to treat the ringworm, and take care of it. My opinion--why pay for anther vet visit when you're pretty sure you know what it is? Especially since the vet should've given you something when you were there to begin with?

Be careful--ringworm is contagious and you CAN catch it. Wash your hands thoroughly after touching the pup until it's gone.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Why didn't the vet give you something for ringworm while you were there? Honestly, I've got less and less respect for vets these days. I used to be all about taking my pets at the first sign of problems. But after several misdiagnoses over the years, a couple of which might have significantly contributed to the deaths of beloved pets, I'm more for trusting my own judgement and trying out my own remedies these days. Ringworm looks awful but isn't a big deal, in the long run. If it were my pup I'd be angry at the breeder for sending a pup home with a skin infection. But then I'd get over it, buy an OTC cream to treat the ringworm, and take care of it. My opinion--why pay for anther vet visit when you're pretty sure you know what it is? Especially since the vet should've given you something when you were there to begin with?

Be careful--ringworm is contagious and you CAN catch it. Wash your hands thoroughly after touching the pup until it's gone.
I have to agree with you on this.

That was also my first question, why wasn't it treated at the first vet visit.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Just want to emphasize the contagious part--be careful about contact, because you don't want to pick up the fungus yourself. Also limit where the pup is allowed to sleep. You might want to have her sleep on a towel for now and launder it, with bleach, every day. I believe the spores could reinfect her if they're not eliminated. There IS a pill that can be given to pets with severe infections, but you may be able to knock it out simply with an OTC anti-fungal that your local pharmacist can help you pick out. But be aware that, if it's not going away with a cream/ointment/shampoo, you might want to attack it internally (with a pill), and you would need another vet visit for that.

Beautiful puppy, by the way!

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Just want to emphasize the contagious part--be careful about contact, because you don't want to pick up the fungus yourself. Also limit where the pup is allowed to sleep. You might want to have her sleep on a towel for now and launder it, with bleach, every day. I believe the spores could reinfect her if they're not eliminated. There IS a pill that can be given to pets with severe infections, but you may be able to knock it out simply with an OTC anti-fungal that your local pharmacist can help you pick out. But be aware that, if it's not going away with a cream/ointment/shampoo, you might want to attack it internally (with a pill), and you would need another vet visit for that.

Beautiful puppy, by the way!
Good advice here, but be careful with bleach on the blankets - it's a good option for removal of ringworm, but my breeder bleached the blankets her litter slept on and several of the puppies developed rashes as a reaction to the bleach. Because your pup already has one skin condition going on, it would be difficult to tell if the ringworm was being treated if your puppy is covered in red marks and sores from a bleach allergy.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
We don't know that the vet didn't offer diagnostics or treatment for ringworm. :)
Indeed - I'm way more concerned about what happened with the breeder (the puppy being sent to the new owner with potential ringworm and the very nonchalant "don't go back to the vet, just use shampoo"). That, combined with the fact that the puppy was sold at 6.5 weeks, just makes me uneasy.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Indeed - I'm way more concerned about what happened with the breeder (the puppy being sent to the new owner with potential ringworm and the very nonchalant "don't go back to the vet, just use shampoo"). That, combined with the fact that the puppy was sold at 6.5 weeks, just makes me uneasy.
I think she said on her other thread that she brought her home at 7 weeks due to the breeder was going to be out of town, but typically keeps until 8 weeks.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I think she said on her other thread that she brought her home at 7 weeks due to the breeder was going to be out of town, but typically keeps until 8 weeks.
Ah, okay... Still makes me kind of uneasy that a breeder would release a litter of puppies at 6.5 weeks because they didn't want to cancel vacation plans. Even if it was an emergency, I think the health and socialization of a litter should come above just about all else.

Ah well, what's done is done, now OP just has to clear up this ringworm, be careful not to contract it, and then enjoy her adorable new family addition :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ack, my post just got erased!

To re sum this up:

Vet took breeders word for it but did note some of the stuff in her ears indicated ringworm. She said to put neosporin on the affected areas of her face. This was a vet at Banfield and I was not impressed. We found a new local vet we are going to try for her next round of vaccinations.

When we picked her up from the breeder she had ointment on the affected areas of her face and the breeder stated it was from her siblings beating her up because they were so much bigger than her.

In hindsight we probably should have ran the other direction when she wanted to let these little ones go at 6.5 weeks but we were enamored with this little girl.

I emailed the breeder and expressed my disappointment/concerns. She ended up refunding me $100 to offset medical costs, which was appreciated. She reccomended a product called "Micro-Tek", an anti fungal shampoo/spray used on horses/cats/dogs/puppies that is supposed to be very effective. We ordered some and had it over nighted to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully it knocks the issue out!

Thanks for all the insight everyone. I'll be sure and report back with her progress!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts