Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I will be a proud owner of a border collie puppy in two weeks and am getting set up at home with everything from bowls to crate to toys and grooming supplies.

I plan to groom my self from home and want to start off early so the puppy can get used to it and learn to behave whilst on the grooming table and whilst the drier is going.

please can you lovely lot advise the best tools and the best place to buy? I've heard a bit about a company called hub international but the website is awful to use. she is a long coat collie and will be shown so need the best advise to keep the coat in the best condition for the show ring.

thank you

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Depending on her coat (BCs can be smooth coated, or with a thick double coat) if she is smooth, a good bristle brush and maybe a slicker brush might be all you need.

I have miniature american shepherds, which have a coat like an aussie, I have a slicker brush, a regular human bristle brush, and an undercoat rake. NEVER use anything like a furminator, and NEVER shave your dog! It does NOT make them cooler!!!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Ask your breeder what she suggests. Border collies aren't supposed to look trimmed so anything done needs to be natural looking. Keeping the coat cleaned out, clean and shiny is the goal with long hair that is the wrong texture removed.

I suspect you will also need a metal pin brush because they don't remove fur as much as slickers do and a greyhound comb for line combing.
There is likely to be a small amount of trimming so a pair of thinning shears and some tool for the bottoms of the feet. I just use straight scissors but that doesn't give a clean look to the pads, small trimmers are generally used.
Many feathered dogs end up with excess undercoat on the legs. I use a grooming stone on Bucky as he isn't ready to allow me to pluck it off but fingers or a stripping knife work better and leave a cleaner look. Your pup may or may not end up needing this done. I pluck out the soft long hair behind the ears, many use thinning shears there.
To trim nails either nail clippers and a file to smooth sharp/rough edges or a dremel to do it all. Nail care is extremely important, long nails can ruin the feet and dog cannot even stand properly. Start this training early!
Mouth care, how are you planning to keep teeth in good order? Also needs to be started when pup is very small.
Various shampoos, conditioners and such for best coat quality. You need a spray to use when grooming so not to break hair, just water actually works fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for your responses and advise. where is the best place to buy grooming products. I want to get her used to grooming as soon as we get her and will get her used to being groomed, handled, feet being touched, mouth and teeth being looked at so she will be used to it in the show ring.

its all very exciting at the moment but an very overwhelmed with the stuff to provide and what is the first things to do and when.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Tropi-clean makes a good line (which can be found at any petsmart or petco, and even some walmarts). STAY AWAY from any Hartz products, as they are very bad for dogs and have caused many dogs to get sick and even die.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
My brushes and comb are Chris Christensen stuff, thinning shears are Gator from Geib. Completely not necessary to buy high end stuff like the brushes but you do need to spend money on thinning shears. I bought online from Pet Edge and Groomer's Mall as well as Amazon. Dremel came from Home Depot many years ago, I have a 2 speed cordless that has held up beautifully. Don't get a tool designed for dogs they aren't powerful enough. Or go to a dog show, usually there are loads of vendors selling wonderful stuff. You want rounded tips to the comb and brush tines so they won't scratch skin and no balls on the tips of the pin brush's pins. Try any contenders on your skin.

Really, ask your breeder, if she shows her dogs then she has good stuff and knows what works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts