Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I live in Brooklyn, in a very, very dog friendly building (there are tons of dogs, and even a grooming room) and got a puppy about a week ago. As puppies are wont to do, she has cried periodically at night. In preparation for this, we left a note on our door saying that she was a new puppy and may be a bit noisy at first, but that we're working on getting her acclimated. The crying in and of itself has ranged; some nights she whines for a few minutes and stops, others she doesn't cry at all. Last night, however, was really bad and we had no idea what to do to help (she eliminated, ate, played, etc).

This morning, the note we left was flipped around with this written on it, "Shrieking and yelping is not okay, you guys need to figure something out." It wasn't signed, but t am reasonably assuming this came from our neighbor in 7B, who complained in the past about noise when I dog-sat for my boss a few months ago (the dog was also a puppy).

I totally get where she's coming from--the barking is truly maddening. But, she is a 3 month old puppy and she's only been here a week. We're doing our best to crate train her. Of course the barking sucks; I also want to sleep. I'm dearly hoping our efforts are enough and that with time she gets better. It is just as frustrating and upsetting to me and my boyfriend as it is to anyone else who can hear it. On top of it all, this woman has a dog so her lack of empathy in this scenario is a bit disappointing.

Having a puppy is a fun but stressful time-- there's a lot to be mindful of and take care of, especially in the first week. Now having the added stress of knowing that our neighbor is going to write a note or knock on my door as frequently as the dog barks is helpful neither in solving the problem nor fostering a healthy neighbor relationship.

I personally think my neighbor is a bit rude in her approach, but the barking is very disruptive and I don't blame her for being annoyed. I've tried putting toys in there, a Kong with peanut butter, covering the crate, keeping white noise on (tv/radio), tiring her out before bed, making sure she eliminates before going in, etc... but sometime all of that feels useless, because she still barks.

Ultimately, what I really need is some advice as to how to best get my puppy to stop barking at night. And maybe some advice on how to best handle this neighbor so it doesn't turn into all-out war :/

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've been through this. What I didn't do, but I would advise you to do, is to actually talk to your neighbor. Ask if she would like to meet the puppy, and since she has a dog, ask if she has any tips for you. People love being asked for advise.

As for the crying at night, is the crate in the bedroom with you? If not, perhaps you can relocate it temporarily until she gets used to being in it.

Edited to add: yes the resentment can definitely escalate, which is why I suggest trying to make amends with the neighbor, even if she was initially rude.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Definitely been there. I agree with fergusmom, and wanted to add, puppies sometimes need more comfort than others. Some sleep next to the crate the first few nights and gradually move a way as they settle faster. When the puppy finally improves, bake some cookies or something to thank them for their patience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We actually moved the crate into our room for the last 2 nights, and it has helped tremendously. Way less or even no crying at all, and she's stopped soiling the crate (another fun puppy thing we've been working on). The neighbor has so far not said anything else--hoping puppy's quiet streak continues!

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
If the quiet continues for 2 -3 days, then I suggest that you bake some cookies or a pie - right now, swallow your pride, go over and apologize in person and give her the cookies, thank her and just let her rant... It will be useful to have a friend later on..

·
Registered
878 Posts
Totally agree with hanksimon. It will be much more difficult for her to complain if you've taken cookies or similar, and if she does then you know she's totally unreasonable!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts