Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help keeping our dog calm when our new baby cries.

We just had our first baby and we already have a 5 yr. old, 40lb Lab/Beagle mix.

When the baby cries, the dog gets stressed out and cries too. If we're holding the baby while she's crying the dog tries jump on our lap or put her front paws on us to get to the baby. It's a struggle to hold the dog back when the baby starts crying. Our dog is athletic and jumps very high so there's nowhere to sit or stand in the house that she can't jump up to.

I'm not sure if she's trying to be aggressive towards the baby or thinks she's helping. Either way, it's not safe. Any suggestions on how to get the dog to be calm and relaxed when the baby cries?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Hmmmm its been awhile, cant remember really (we had 2 Boxers, now that is athletic! in a 3rd floor condo and I had had a C- section, dogs were in the master with us).. I do remember to give the dogs some time to adjust.... Our bed was really high, we just dogs would sit on the floor and stare at baby (they were sOOOOOO curious) , you need to be very careful and not make baby a negative connotation to the dog, like always shooing dog away and reprimanding her for coming close to the baby.. Our dogs got a good dog nice dogs (set them up to succeed by having them sit quietly next to you but not while baby is crying, while baby is quiet first, but up high so you can keep baby safe initially until you are sure of the reaction) and a treat for sitting quietly next to the bed while I nursed or changed Baby....

Also if baby is crying, maybe walk dog (silently no repremanding or fussing) to the next room, give the dog an extra special chewy and dog bed to lay on (tell dog to sit or lie on the dog bed and say Good dog and reward with the special chewy (pigs ear?)-- dog is being removed and distracted and rewarded for removing-- our cranky Boxer eventually was trained to retreat to his dog bed (away from baby, this was when Baby started crawling and poking) and it was ensured that his dog bed was his special retreat no Babies allowed....

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
.... yeah, it's like people getting used to the commotion :) Let them interact - with very close supervision - when the baby is calm and quiet. Keep control over the dog, b/c he might want to play with the baby by pawing. But try to allow him to sniff the baby ... and it's up to you if you want him to lick the baby. A 5 yo Lab mix shouldn't try to hurt a calm baby ... on purpose. However, he may get enthusiastic with licking ... the baby may or may not like it. Reward or praise the dog for appropriate interactions.

Then, try to expose the dog to the cranky side of the baby, incrementally. With guidance, the dog will learn to adapt.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would probably leash the dog while it is around the baby and ask it to sit.

Have you all worked on any kind of impulse control training?

That would freak me out, TBH. I really don't like hyper, frantic, bouncing energy in a dog and certainly not a larger dog.

When I came home from the hospital, my older dog just kind of laid low for about two weeks and when she did finally investigate the baby, it was very low key. She wasn't hyper about it at all. More wary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts