Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I am soooo glad I found this site. I am the new mum to two 4 month old pit-mix rescue puppies. I live in a condo and have realized that my bleeding heart has left me with a handful!

I have never owned a dog, much less two, much less two that have spent pretty much their entire lives living in a cage. Any and all guidance would be most appreciated!

Now, where do I find the potty training section?? Pleeeassseeee!!!:eek:

I should also add that I am a single parent and I am away from home approximately 10 hours a day. The kids provide some help, but I am in some serious need of training/care advice. I want to make this the best experience for all involved, the puppies, my children and myself! :)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Sorry to have to say this, but I think you should find alternate homes for the pups.

Pitties are not a good breed for the first time owner, especially two at the same time, with an owner who is gone 10 hours a day. I also don't think condo life is good for this breed, especially since you are gone so much and likely won't have time to exercise them frequently enough. Training will be challenging too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to have to say this, but I think you should find alternate homes for the pups.

Pitties are not a good breed for the first time owner, especially two at the same time, with an owner who is gone 10 hours a day. I also don't think condo life is good for this breed, especially since you are gone so much and likely won't have time to exercise them frequently enough. Training will be challenging too.
Thanks, but I'd prefer if someone could give advice to the matter at hand. I exercise the dogs for almost three hours a day, an hour in the morning and beyond two hours at night. I'd say that is pretty good, given the hours I keep. I adopted these two babies from a rescue shelter because they were twelve hours away from being put down.

Fact is, no one wants pit bulls. They have a 'rep'. I took a chance and have two wonderful puppies at home now. If someone has advice to help me make this situation work, I'd love to hear it. I want tried and true advice, not opinions, thanks.

PS Did you know that only 1 in 900 pits gets rescued??? What do you think their chances for easy adoption are??? A condo is not perfect, but it is much better than a kennel, and probably much better than the OTHER ALTERNATIVE they faced. And hey, it's not perfect, but I'll tell you this... They know they've been rescued and they are happy. Happiness is touching grass for the first time ever, I've just recently learned that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks, but I'd prefer if someone could give advice to the matter at hand. I exercise the dogs for almost three hours a day, an hour in the morning and beyond two hours at night. I'd say that is pretty good, given the hours I keep. I adopted these two babies from a rescue shelter because they were twelve hours away from being put down.

Fact is, no one wants pit bulls. They have a 'rep'. I took a chance and have two wonderful puppies at home now. If someone has advice to help me make this situation work, I'd love to hear it. I want tried and true advice, not opinions, thanks.

PS Did you know that only 1 in 900 pits gets rescued??? What do you think their chances for easy adoption are??? A condo is not perfect, but it is much better than a kennel, and probably much better than the OTHER ALTERNATIVE they faced. And hey, it's not perfect, but I'll tell you this... They know they've been rescued and they are happy. Happiness is touching grass for the first time ever, I've just recently learned that.
I agree with her, rather than telling her to get rid of them how about someone offer some help? The reality is that she now has them and could use a hand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with her, rather than telling her to get rid of them how about someone offer some help? The reality is that she now has them and could use a hand.
Appreciate that. I'm a bit touchy I know... It has been the equivalent of bringing twin infants home... sans diapers!

On a side note, I've been reading that potty training them would be best achieved by using a crate in my particular situation. Does anyone have experience with this? Should I crate them together or separately (they suffer from extreme anxiety when separated though... Even for short walks!)

I've had these little guys less than a week, I want to train them properly, with very little stress on them. They have certainly been through enough in their lives.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
You said it yourself, the OP needs a hand. How is rehoming not an option when the OP can't grow a third or fourth hand?

I don't know whether the OP can or can not go at this alone, but at face value, the situation is less than ideal, even problematic, making rehoming a viable option that should be considered, because it *is* a humane option.

Unless the OP is willing to hire the services of a dog walker and trainer, and is willing to give up all or part of the circumstances taking them away from the dogs, the "best experience" is not necessarily keeping the dogs in this home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good for you on giving the puppies all the exercise they need and for rescuing two at once. We just adopted one American bulldog mix (possibly with pit) and wish we could have gotten two so he'd have a playmate. Here are a few pointers:
1. Crate them seperately but put the crates next to each other. Our neighbor has two dogs and does that... that way they have their own space and if one has an accident in the crate the other won't be punished by sitting in there with the other dog's accident. Also, they could get aggressive (territorial) with each other over time.

2. Crate train them for potty training. Keep the crate area small (with a divider) and only make it big enough for the puppy to turn and lay down. They usually won't go where they sleep. Keep the crate door open (when they aren't in it so they feel comfortable going in and out)...it makes putting htem in the crate a lot easier.

3. Immediately once you take them out of the crate bring them to the bathroom and before you crate them take them out if they go in the crate. Frequent trips outside will reduce accidents in the house. We got our dog at 3 months and he is 6 months now... he hasn't ever gone in his crate and only had 5-10 pee accidents in the house (no poop accidents).

Good luck with the training!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Congrats on adopting the pitties :) They are great dogs. My pit bull mix is the best dog I've ever owned. She was very easy to potty train. All I had to do was take her outside as often as I possibly could, then give her a tiny treat or bit of kibble whenever she would do her business outside. She quickly learned.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Congratulations on rescuing those dogs -- I had a pit mix once and he was a great dog!....You are very brave to take on two at once! Especially that you've never owned a dog before!

I would crate them being you are not at home for that length of time - but definitely crate them separately -- If you have enough room put them side by side so they can see each other and when they fall asleep they can feel each other through the wire -- it will comfort them. Put a wee-wee pad in the far corner (10 hours is a long time) I would try and secure it so they don't play with it -- also there favorite toy and buy a Kong toy and stuff it --- it's a great toy to keep them occupied.

Just make sure they are exercised and have peed/pooped before you leave them in there all day.

As they get older --- leave them out of the cage longer and longer..

I hope this helps.....:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You said it yourself, the OP needs a hand. How is rehoming not an option when the OP can't grow a third or fourth hand?

I don't know whether the OP can or can not go at this alone, but at face value, the situation is less than ideal, even problematic, making rehoming a viable option that should be considered, because it *is* a humane option.

Unless the OP is willing to hire the services of a dog walker and trainer, and is willing to give up all or part of the circumstances taking them away from the dogs, the "best experience" is not necessarily keeping the dogs in this home.
The 'situation' is called a full-time job. Surely I can't be the only person in this forum that is not fabulously independently wealthy? Pardon moi!

Again, they were rescued 12 hours from certain death because no one was willing to take them. Would euthanasia have been considered *more* humane I wonder? Seriously, even my neighbors won't come up to say hi since I've gotten them, you know... Because they're such vicious animals! 'Rawr!!!'

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
You will be in an untenable situation in weeks.

2 puppies together is almost never a good idea. 2 puppies that are APBT mixes is an even worse idea. If they are the same sex, it will likely end in disaster one day.

You have a breed of dog that needs a LOT of exercise.

No puppy should be left alone for 10 hours at a time. How are you dealing with this? Are they not destroying your residence? Where are they when you are not there? Are you signed up for training class? They both need to attend and be trained individually every day.

At their age they should also have separate crates for napping and sleeping. Littermates who stay together too long can bond too tightly to each other, and have less bonding with humans, leading to training difficulties later.

You have a very tall job ahead of you, and if I were you, I would SERIOUSLY consider rehoming at least ONE of the puppies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Congrats on adopting the pitties :) They are great dogs. My pit bull mix is the best dog I've ever owned. She was very easy to potty train. All I had to do was take her outside as often as I possibly could, then give her a tiny treat or bit of kibble whenever she would do her business outside. She quickly learned.
They do love their rewards, don't they? :)

You will be in an untenable situation in weeks.

2 puppies together is almost never a good idea. 2 puppies that are APBT mixes is an even worse idea. If they are the same sex, it will likely end in disaster one day.

You have a breed of dog that needs a LOT of exercise.

No puppy should be left alone for 10 hours at a time. How are you dealing with this? Are they not destroying your residence? Where are they when you are not there? Are you signed up for training class? They both need to attend and be trained individually every day.

At their age they should also have separate crates for napping and sleeping. Littermates who stay together too long can bond too tightly to each other, and have less bonding with humans, leading to training difficulties later.

You have a very tall job ahead of you, and if I were you, I would SERIOUSLY consider rehoming at least ONE of the puppies.
They are sisters that have spent their entire lives living together in one cage, from shelter to shelter to shelter. I took them both on because they were both to be put down, and the connection between them was quite strong. They have extreme anxiety when separated.

As for re-homing one of the puppies, we will see how things progress. Right now, my desire is to begin setting a strong foundation for them both in a home that is stable and filled with love. It is not perfect, but we are trying our best, and I cannot understand why people think it is so easy to re-home a pit bull.

I really want training advice. I'm smart enough to figure out the dynamics on my own. No put downs intended.

Also, I don't think that the sole fact that they are APBT mix or female is a recipe for disaster. But I will certainly keep an active watch for indicators they would harm one another.

Congratulations on rescuing those dogs -- I had a pit mix once and he was a great dog!....You are very brave to take on two at once! Especially that you've never owned a dog before!

I would crate them being you are not at home for that length of time - but definitely crate them separately -- If you have enough room put them side by side so they can see each other and when they fall asleep they can feel each other through the wire -- it will comfort them. Put a wee-wee pad in the far corner (10 hours is a long time) I would try and secure it so they don't play with it -- also there favorite toy and buy a Kong toy and stuff it --- it's a great toy to keep them occupied.

Just make sure they are exercised and have peed/pooped before you leave them in there all day.

As they get older --- leave them out of the cage longer and longer..

I hope this helps.....:)

I hope so too. Thank you for the advice! I'll work on it!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The 'situation' is called a full-time job. Surely I can't be the only person in this forum that is not fabulously independently wealthy? Pardon moi!
Independently wealthy? LOL Far from it, but puppies (even adults) shouldn't be left for 10 hours at a time (on a regular basis anyway). If you have someone who can let the pups out a couple of times while you are gone, fair enough, but IMO, it should be an adult (or at least an older teenager) who does it. Sure, the kids may be able to handle 4 month old Pitties, but what about as they grow and get stronger? You live in a condo, so I would assume you don't have a fenced in yard where they don't need to be on leash.

Seriously, even my neighbors won't come up to say hi since I've gotten them, you know... Because they're such vicious animals! 'Rawr!!!'
No, I very much doubt that they are vicious animals, but if they are left alone for long periods, and not trained and exercised enough, they could become that way. Having the two of them may also turn into a disaster because the breed is known to be dog aggressive, and it isn't uncommon for even siblings to fight, especially same sex and unaltered.

Honestly, I don't know of a rescue that would adopt out two young Pittie mixes (or any breed for that matter) to someone in your situation. Lack of experience, condo life, single mother with 3 kids to raise also, and gone 10 hour days. I realize you were just trying to help these dogs out, but I can't help thinking that you're going to run into problems by keeping them. Sounds like life keeps you busy enough without trying to raise two pups.

None of this is meant to be offensive, but I have to think that the situation is neither ideal for you, your kids or these dogs.

RedyreRottweilers said:
I second that.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
I don't get the attitude, but if you're looking for pre-approved advice/opinions, you've come to the wrong forum...or internet.

Again, they were rescued 12 hours from certain death because no one was willing to take them. Would euthanasia have been considered *more* humane I wonder? Seriously, even my neighbors won't come up to say hi since I've gotten them, you know... Because they're such vicious animals! 'Rawr!!!'
No I don't know...you haven't provided us with much information to work off of. We get that your angel wings are on order, but I certainly don't get the knee-jerking. How do you intend on addressing the owner-absent dilemma that poses the greatest challenge? The training part is easy. The training when you're not there is virtually impossible without dedicated time...full time job or not.

·
Registered
172 Posts
They do love their rewards, don't they? :)
Yes! I've never seen a dog as responsive to treats as my little pittie girl. She had to go to the vet for her checkup today, and the treats calmed her down as they were giving her her shots.
I love pit bulls and pit bull mixes so much. I've found that mine just wants so please me, so she's not that hard to train at all. She's so eager to do what I want so that I'm happy with her, that she learns commands very quickly, and she also learns not to do certain things, like get into the garbage. If I correct her as soon as she does something wrong, her little ears go back, she whimpers, and tries to "shake" my hand with her paw, as if to apologize.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I don't get the attitude, but if you're looking for pre-approved advice/opinions, you've come to the wrong forum...or internet.

No I don't know...you haven't provided us with much information to work off of. We get that your angel wings are on order, but I certainly don't get the knee-jerking. How do you intend on addressing the owner-absent dilemma that poses the greatest challenge? The training part is easy. The training when you're not there is virtually impossible without dedicated time...full time job or not.

Angel wings aside, I came to this forum looking for possible suggestions about the best way to care for these dogs at my home. The question was never posed - should I re-home them. As for how to address the problem, I'm already trying to interview trainers and have been cutting my day in thirds and going home to walk them, etc. But the reality is, I still work a 10 hour day and am trying to find the best solutions under the circumstances. I want advice for that, not opinions on whether or not to keep the dogs. That is a done deal. So, if anyone has advice to offer based on the circumstances, that's great. I didnt' come here for opinions. I'm looking for tried and true advice from people similarly situated. Is that fairly put or does that ruffle feathers too?

Yes! I've never seen a dog as responsive to treats as my little pittie girl. She had to go to the vet for her checkup today, and the treats calmed her down as they were giving her her shots.
I love pit bulls and pit bull mixes so much. I've found that mine just wants so please me, so she's not that hard to train at all. She's so eager to do what I want so that I'm happy with her, that she learns commands very quickly, and she also learns not to do certain things, like get into the garbage. If I correct her as soon as she does something wrong, her little ears go back, she whimpers, and tries to "shake" my hand with her paw, as if to apologize.
She sounds lovely! I get the eager to please part now, have seen that already with Max and Marlena. Tell me, what do you do to keep her 'stimulated'? I'm certain that simply taking them on runs and walks will not be ultimately stimulating, yeah?

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
I'm looking for tried and true advice from people similarly situated. Is that fairly put or does that ruffle feathers too?
Rehoming is tried and true, and since you don't appreciate this advice I believe you own the ruffled feathers.

I want advice for that, not opinions on whether or not to keep the dogs.
Again, if you're looking for pre-approved advice, the internet is not the best place for this. Everything on the internet is someone's opinion.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
You won't find many people here who have 2 puppies at once.

You do realize that dog aggression is part and parcel of most APBT dogs. You may not see it for 4 years between these 2. If/when you do, one of them will die if you are not well prepared.

I gave my advice.

GO TO TRAINING CLASS. Get separate crates for them and see to it they spend a good amount of time apart.

Train and feed them separately.

I am sure if you do a simple internet search on house training you will find more information than you can read.

And where are these puppies spending 10 hours that you are gone right now?

·
Super Moderator
11,835 Posts
All you get on an Internet forum is opinions. You don't have to accept them, but you don't get to prequalify the kinds that others may offer with sincerity.

·
Registered
172 Posts
She sounds lovely! I get the eager to please part now, have seen that already with Max and Marlena. Tell me, what do you do to keep her 'stimulated'? I'm certain that simply taking them on runs and walks will not be ultimately stimulating, yeah?
I throw her rubber Kong ball a lot. She is addicted to that thing, and can chase it for hours. She brings it outside with her, and even brings it to bed with her. I also play tug with her. She used to have a tug rope, but she chewed it up. I was worried that she would swallow the strings and choke, so I bought her a set of interlocking tug rings instead, which she loves just as much.
I take her on lots of runs and walks, and give her lots of chew toys too. She loves squeaky toys, even though she's such a powerful chewer that they don't usually last long.
One game she loves is dropping her ball in random things like plastic storage tubs, then trying to get them out. When she was a puppy, she would fall into the tubs. It was adorable. Now she'll deliberately put her ball in a place she knows is a challenge to get it back from.
I try to spend as much time playing with her as possible when I'm home. She's very, very affectionate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts