Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Agreed , the problem with mixed breeds/designer breeds is that there are a lot of people out there looking to make a fast $$..
can I ask why you want this particular mix?

Health testing is just not going to be offered so you run risks there and by Bernie I presume either St bernard or benese mountain dog ??? Both these breeds are well known to suffer joint problems so if there are no hip/elbow scores its a huge red flag..

Seriously ditch the designer and either go to a shelter for a nice mongey or find a real decent breeder who will provide you with good information proper health checks and ensure the welfare of both parent and pup ..

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi, The problem is with a mix you never know which parent they will take after... We had Max...his Mother was Bouvier des Flanders and dad was a St bernard.. Max looked like a bouvier but he took after dad so whereas mum was non shedding and only 60 lbs Max took after dad, he shed like a wookie on a bad hair day and he was huge weighing in at around 130lbs and 30 inches tall. By the time Max was six months old he dwarfed his mum..

Max was a rescue only he and his brother were saved the rest of the pups were PTS this to protect mum who was 8 years old and unable to cope with 8 pups and to protect the pups who may have looked cute at 8 weeks but at 8 months were going to be too much for most people to handle. Not my decision and not one I would have made but I didnt get to have a say in that..
Luckily he didnt get joint problems and we hoped that the curse of the Bouvier would pass him by because he was a cross and we took such care but ... at 8 years he developed lymphoma, common among these dogs and we lost him in a few months.

Why different at a rescue? Because by adopting youre not encouraging this trade youre helping to mop up the mess caused by fashion hungry buyers and cash hungry breeders.
If you really like the Bernese but dont have the room have you thought of the smaller Entlebucher mountain dog?

This is Max , not yet fully grown and yes that is a full sized armchair hes sitting on

1 - 2 of 2 Posts