Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

61 - 80 of 5379 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
We had our second agility class tonight and actually did some stuff (mostly just contact behavior and obedience). Mia's already done that so was pretty good although her stays were AWFUL all night. She kept popping up every two seconds. She also barked in her crate a bit but eventually settled down which is a plus. One dog started flipping out in his crate and I think that caused Mia to bark. She was also a bit nervous at first and a bit flighty around this one GSD that kept barking but she calmed down. She's never been good in a crate so progress is good...

She wasn't particularly 'on' tonight, but for having months off and a new place with lots of distractions, she did good. My new trainer seemed to be pretty smitten with her. It's kind of funny to me, Mia was being WILD. From the get-go Mia was 'okay are we ready are we ready'? Her focus was superb and intense. Her eyes just didn't leave me at all. She was playing ball hardcore in the middle of all that distraction with gusto. Mia was so enthusiastic and bouncing around and smacking the ground with her feet and screeching in excitement and the trainer loved it. Usually that just annoys people. :lol-sign:

The instructor just kept coming back and telling me 'I just love your dog'. Then she finally said, "I want to steal your dog'. I was actually just saying the other day that even though people on-line have threatened to steal Mia, no one in real life ever has. So there was a first! She was very complimentary of Mia's enthusiasm and intensity. She also liked what work I'd done with Mia before although she did point out a few handling mistakes I was making that I didn't even realize I was doing. :eek:

Now I've just got to harness that enthusiasm that Mia has and make it something productive.

·
Registered
85 Posts
@Nikki - You guys are doing great! Your 2o2o looks good!!
@GottaLuvMutts - Sorry to hear about Kit, but I am glad to hear that she went back on it! Good luck at your trial this weekend!!

I am starting a 6 week 2x2 weave class tonight. I'm hoping Belle does well! She has nice weaves already, but I am just looking to fix them a little.

Our TDAA performance last weekend was a mess! Lol :redface: We Q'd in a game but no Standards. I think we would have Q'd in almost all of them but she missed EVERY single dogwalk contact.:doh:
So we are finally just taking a group private lesson with 2 of my friends and we are working on contacts. I am HOPING we can get some sort of contact performance before CPE Nationals in June... :help:

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Good luck at your trial this weekend, GLM. Hopefully if you're relaxed and with being in a different place her one bad DW exp will get lost in all the good.

Laur -- Glad your class is going well :)

And -- Have fun at Nat'ls in June! A lot of my friends will be there...kinda bummed we only did CPE for a short time as it would have been fun. Ah well. And good luck with the contact thing :) Nice thing about little dogs, though...easier to just kinda manage their contacts if you need to! I'm taking Web out of competition after May to train a proper running contact with him. He had a beautiful 2o2o then I broke it (intentionally) and have just kinda been managing it for a bit. Looking forward to the challenge of training a real running :)

Kim's weave retraining is going well...she's driving in and working out ahead of me. Did 12 for the first time today (well first time since retraining) and she's letting me just stand off to the side as she works them from beginning to end on her own! Definitely the best her weaves have ever been. Will try moving them around a bit, then go back to the drop-in class and try them there...*fingers crossed*

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Good luck at your trial this weekend, GLM. Hopefully if you're relaxed and with being in a different place her one bad DW exp will get lost in all the good.
For better or for worse, the trial is actually at the same facility where we have class and train. I thought that was a good thing (Kit's already comfortable with the place), but given the bad experience on Wed, I'm not so sure. The good news is that Kit is so trusting and confident that she tends to forget bad experiences quickly. I guess we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Even though we're not "training" at the moment, we are going to our "first" trial tomorrow to spectate! I want to start getting her used to the environment well before she will ever have to compete. Wish us luck! I hope she doesn't act like a brat... Though I'm sure she will! That girl lives to embarrass me :p

OH! And Kimma will be published in a local dog magazine next month, in an article about weave training!!! I'm so excited :)

It's Urban Paws, for anyone in the Houston area. It's available online, so once it's out (comes out beginning/middle of next month) I will put up a link!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Yesterday our class played Snooker! I have to tell you, for the first time learning to play, the rules are ridiculously complicated. We all felt like we were brain dead by the end. He put a table right in the middle as a decoy "magnet". It had no value but, oh my goodness, if you even spent a split second being confused as to where you were going next, it was impossible to keep the dogs from jumping on the table. Lots of laughing happened.......

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Results from today's trial:
We had six runs total and Q'ed in two. Not great, but not bad for a newbie. We started the day off with a bang: not only did we Q in our first run (tunnelers), but we came in 1st, one full second ahead of our INSTRUCTOR!!! If y'all are familiar with the OK GO white knuckles video, she was running the big golden who busts thru the tower of plastic pails. She was laughing about it afterwards and they trounced us later in the day, so no big deal, but I was proud. Anyway, here's the video of that run:

We also Q'ed in our second tunnelers run. It was "clean", but sort of a mess. We came in 4th there - really bad considering Kit is faster than pretty much all the 20+ dogs. But hey, a Q is a Q.

Other good things: I was loving Kit's start line stays today. Gorgeous! She held every one of them perfectly. I was ready to yank her off if she didn't (we call it "no stay, no play") but I didn't have to. She also remained focused all day (no sniffing, no greeting ring crew or judge) and seemed into it, even if she was making mistakes. Contacts were also nice.

Other bad things: We need to spend more time working on discriminations. She missed 3 in a row in a TouchNGo run :-(
Also, this is less of a training thing and more of an environmental thing, but the garage door was open (you can sort of see it in the video) and it was such a lovely day that the light was just streaming in. Kit got every set of weaves that was facing away from the light, but blew every one facing into the light. I think tomorrow's weather is supposed to be worse, so maybe they'll close the garage door and I'll Q.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Great run, GLM!!! Kit is looking fantastic! I hope you had a successful day today, too :)

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)

3 more Q's: two in weavers, plus a touchNgo! The weavers runs were both first place (again beating our instructor), but the touch and go was not. It was ugly and we shouldn't have Q'ed but we did anyway. The garage door was down today, and Kit nailed every set of weaves perfectly, confirming my suspicion that it was the light that caused us problems yesterday. We still had big problems with discriminations, so that's definitely something to work on.

Perfect weavers run #1:

Perfect weavers run #2 (loved this course!):

A fugly touchNgo run (but we still Q'ed):

And a heartbreaker of a tunnelers run:

We ended up Q'ing in 5 runs out of 12 for the weekend, and winning second place overall in the large dogs (16'' and up). That's based on Q's, not times. We were, of course, beaten by our instructor, who had a perfect weekend (Q'ed in every run) with her novice dog. When was the last time I told you all how much I love our instructor?

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
Hey guys, I hope you don't mind if I jump in later in the thread...

Frag and I are starting agility classes in June (soonest we could find any!) and I was just looking for some general advice to get prepared/started for the class. We have access to all of the equipment other than the dog walk at the dog park to practice/work on, so I'd like to get started sooner rather than later. I took him out yesterday to do a little stuff with the clicker and we ran a few small sequences really well, but I don't want to do too much without knowing what I'm doing so that I don't mess him up. I don't know a ton about agility training or competing, so I'm going to be needing a lot of help. What sort of things should I work on first? Should I be using the ball/clicker, or will this engage him too much with ME?

Also, for contact obstacles (is that even what they're called? Teeter, a-frame I'm talking, maybe dogwalk?) it's required that all four feet are on the yellow area going up AND down, correct? For those of you with long-bodied dogs, how do you train/shape that? While getts Frag used to the A-Frame, I realized even walking slowly down (or up) it's a long stretch from him being all the way on the yellow, and I believe these are all regulation sized/painted, so the yellow area should be the correct amount of space.

We had six runs total and Q'ed in two. Not great, but not bad for a newbie. We started the day off with a bang: not only did we Q in our first run (tunnelers), but we came in 1st, one full second ahead of our INSTRUCTOR!!! If y'all are familiar with the OK GO white knuckles video, she was running the big golden who busts thru the tower of plastic pails. She was laughing about it afterwards and they trounced us later in the day, so no big deal, but I was proud. Anyway, here's the video of that run:

We also Q'ed in our second tunnelers run. It was "clean", but sort of a mess. We came in 4th there - really bad considering Kit is faster than pretty much all the 20+ dogs. But hey, a Q is a Q.

Other good things: I was loving Kit's start line stays today. Gorgeous! She held every one of them perfectly. I was ready to yank her off if she didn't (we call it "no stay, no play") but I didn't have to. She also remained focused all day (no sniffing, no greeting ring crew or judge) and seemed into it, even if she was making mistakes. Contacts were also nice.

Other bad things: We need to spend more time working on discriminations. She missed 3 in a row in a TouchNGo run :-(
Also, this is less of a training thing and more of an environmental thing, but the garage door was open (you can sort of see it in the video) and it was such a lovely day that the light was just streaming in. Kit got every set of weaves that was facing away from the light, but blew every one facing into the light. I think tomorrow's weather is supposed to be worse, so maybe they'll close the garage door and I'll Q.
I just wanted to comment on this video and tell you that you look really happy and it was very fun to watch you enjoying her so much out there. :)

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
They do not need all four feet on the contact, just one has to touch it but most people prefer the 2 on 2 off at the bottom. In other words the back feet stay on the contact and the front feet are on the ground. A good way to teach it is at the bottom of stairs. The thing with Agility is if you plan on competing, you can teach your dog lots of bad habits if you do not know what you are doing and it is harder to correct them than to do it right in the first place.

I love doing Agility and so do my dogs, it is a great fun sport.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Also, for contact obstacles (is that even what they're called? Teeter, a-frame I'm talking, maybe dogwalk?)
Yup!

it's required that all four feet are on the yellow area going up AND down, correct?
All four feet aren't required...technically just need a touch (even a single paw is fine). Whether they are required to touch both up and down depends on the venue and the obstacle. So UKC agility requires a straight entry and touching both the up and down contacts. AKC doesn't judge the up contact on the dogwalk, so only the down contact counts. Not sure on most of the other venues...which do you plan to train for?

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
All four feet aren't required...technically just need a touch (even a single paw is fine). Whether they are required to touch both up and down depends on the venue and the obstacle. So UKC agility requires a straight entry and touching both the up and down contacts. AKC doesn't judge the up contact on the dogwalk, so only the down contact counts. Not sure on most of the other venues...which do you plan to train for?
Probably AKC if anything. We're starting just as a hobby and to see if he has the skill/desire TO compete. If we did, it would probably be AKC because they're easier to find.

Thanks for clearing that up though, I was under the impression all four had to be on and I was like, "How on earth will this dog fit on this space while he's running?" but that makes much more sense.

@Kyllo- yes, I have heard it is very easy to mess up a dog on agility and hard to correct it, that's why after one session working with Frag I decided to come her to get some tips/idea before ruining him. :D

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Start some target training. I like to use the 4" x 4" white tiles from home improvement stores. Get him really jazzed about hitting his target (just practice around the house) and then name it (spot, target, touch, whatever you want). When you're sure he's got it, put it at the end of a contact obstacle. He should do the obstacle and target the tile, which is perfect 2o2o contact performance. Months later, when he's got this down, just take a away the tile.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'm beginning to get a bit frustrated with Harleigh. She's been absolutely PERFECT with her 2o2o on the a-frame for quite a few classes/weeks, then all the sudden Monday (25th) at class she decided she didn't want to do the 2o2o for the a-frame... no matter what. She knows the 2o2o and does it perfectly with every other contact obstacle, but she goes through stages on the a-frame where she just doesn't want to do the 2o2o for some reason (I have no clue why though).

I'm hoping it was just "one of those days" on the a-frame for her. We've moved up a level, so next week we'll be "sharing" instructors. For 1/2 the time we'll get our original instructor (who we've been with since beginning agility training) and then for the other 1/2 we'll be getting what my instructor likes to call "the mastermind", so I'm really hoping Harleigh doesn't decide to show her butt :rolleyes: haha If not, I don't know what I'm going to do with her... we've tried everything out there!

In other news. Here is a video from last class. This was one of our tougher (for us newbies!) sequences and Harleigh did amazing (even though I messed up, lol)! I was so proud of her... :D

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
Start some target training. I like to use the 4" x 4" white tiles from home improvement stores. Get him really jazzed about hitting his target (just practice around the house) and then name it (spot, target, touch, whatever you want). When you're sure he's got it, put it at the end of a contact obstacle. He should do the obstacle and target the tile, which is perfect 2o2o contact performance. Months later, when he's got this down, just take a away the tile.
Ah, good idea. So, it's just one tile being targetted by one paw, and the idea is that his other paw would follow suit and be 2o2o? Do you think it'd help if I paint it yellow to match the contact area on obstacles, or not?

I'm also completely over-analyzing this 2o2o business, and need to read up on it with diagrams. I'm picturing so many ways that this could be interpretted! :(

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Denali has her evaluation on Thursday, then we're back in the game! She can be skittish of strangers so hopefully that won't prevent her from joining. She won't bite or anything but if a stranger walks up to her she backs away and doesn't want them to touch her. I'm excited to start back up after about 6 weeks off. I built poles so we've been working those, but nothing else. I'm ready to start stepping it up and getting her ready for trials!

We've been jumping 16" but I know she can do more and get up to her 20-24" she'll need to do (excuse bad quality, it's a screenshot from a video)

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Ah, good idea. So, it's just one tile being targetted by one paw, and the idea is that his other paw would follow suit and be 2o2o? Do you think it'd help if I paint it yellow to match the contact area on obstacles, or not?

I'm also completely over-analyzing this 2o2o business, and need to read up on it with diagrams. I'm picturing so many ways that this could be interpretted! :(
The tile would go on the ground, about 6 - 12 inches away from the contact obstacle for a big dog (maybe less for a small dog). The color of the tile doesn't matter, cause it doesn't go on the contact obstacle, anyway. The rule for competitions is that the dog has to get a foot somewhere (anywhere) in the contact zone. 2o2o is just one easy way to teach that. I wouldn't worry about whether the dog is targeting with one or both paws. Some people (I'm thinking MMM on here?) even have their dogs target with their nose instead of paw(s). The purpose is just to slow the dog down enough to get a foot somewhere in the contact zone. In the early stages of training, the dog should come to a dead stop at the end of the contact obstacle, and then wait for a release cue. When you see highly competitive/experienced folks run in trials, though, often the whole thing is more fluid so that the contact still happens, but without wasting a lot of time.

61 - 80 of 5379 Posts