Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

5301 - 5320 of 5377 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I am hoping for that 'come together about 7' thing with Molly :p Kylie came together about 5, and at 6.5 she's very, very consistent. Like we don't even train agility anymore - odd trip through the weaves but that's about it. Just show up at trials and if i remember the course Q. It's weird. (If I cared about elite chances she'd need more, but I don't)
Next trial the weekend after Christmas. It's a horse barn. There are pigeons. Kylie will be fine. Border things are going to chase birds.
Interesting about Kylie and the age it came together...hoping it does with Belle but she is stressy so it may not. I do know it has helped with training more often lately as I wanted to make sure Raya was ready for trialing, so we were training more, like twice a week in October. Belle does really love it, just stresses when we go in the ring and start.

I have never trialed in a barn or outside or on dirt floors...not sure how we would do. Raya is not a sniffy dog though at all. We go in the ring and she is ready to run that course...

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
Interesting about Kylie and the age it came together...hoping it does with Belle but she is stressy so it may not. I do know it has helped with training more often lately as I wanted to make sure Raya was ready for trialing, so we were training more, like twice a week in October. Belle does really love it, just stresses when we go in the ring and start.

I have never trialed in a barn or outside or on dirt floors...not sure how we would do. Raya is not a sniffy dog though at all. We go in the ring and she is ready to run that course...
Yeah, my issue isn't sniffing. I may get some with Kiran at first, but once he knows what we're doing he's good to go. The others don't sniff. But the physical damn birds being in the ring is just asking a LOT, LOL. But I only have 'outside' or 'on dirt in a barn' as options for our trials, so they don't know anything else.

Also I have consistently found less is more with Kylie. It's just what it is. If I try to 'work' something, or train much, her enthusiasm drops and her stress goes up. So even when *I* am doing agility 2-3 times a week, she's doing ONE, MAX. And usually more like 'twice a month'. Or 'never'.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Lucy is coming up seven next year and I think is running better all the time. Of course, it probably helps that my handling has gotten so much better. We practice (my sister with her Rat Terrier and a friend who is also a judge, with her Papillons) two times a week. We do give them time off during the winter when it gets too cold in the unheated arena as we have no trials till next March. We video a lot of our training and video all our runs at the trials which helps too.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Denali got QQ #9 today! Her first run in Standard I am extra proud of her for dealing with the judge, who was in a tight spot right between the teeter and the A-frame. We work really hard on stuff like that in class by having our classmates be the "Scary axe murderer jump setters and judges" and over time they have gradually gotten more invasive, "rude", and close to her, staring her down, shadowing her the entire run, doing the table count right next to us, and similar.
Good girl Nali!

https://www.facebook.com/beyondblond/posts/10104918794453473

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Denali got QQ #9 today! Her first run in Standard I am extra proud of her for dealing with the judge, who was in a tight spot right between the teeter and the A-frame. We work really hard on stuff like that in class by having our classmates be the "Scary axe murderer jump setters and judges" and over time they have gradually gotten more invasive, "rude", and close to her, staring her down, shadowing her the entire run, doing the table count right next to us, and similar.
Good girl Nali!

https://www.facebook.com/beyondblond/posts/10104918794453473
Nice runs! We are only on DQ #6....

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
just checking in! Baby dog will crazily be old enough to compete in Akc next month but I think we are aiming for May ish to try the trial thing. She’s super fun. Picking up everything except rear crosses fast and I’m gonna need rear crosses with her lol.

Hank is also very fun and enjoying classes still. So glad I got him. He’s been great practice for a speedy dog.

Glad to’see’ everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
just checking in! Baby dog will crazily be old enough to compete in Akc next month but I think we are aiming for May ish to try the trial thing. She’s super fun. Picking up everything except rear crosses fast and I’m gonna need rear crosses with her lol.

Hank is also very fun and enjoying classes still. So glad I got him. He’s been great practice for a speedy dog.

Glad to’see’ everyone!
Been away so long didn't realize you got another dog. Good luck when you start trialing with him!! Do you trial with Hank or just train for fun?

Raya is so much fun to work with...she just loves it soo much. Belle loves it too but is stressy...

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Yeah the new kid is Fable. She’s a 15 month old BC.

Hank and I trial in things other than agility but he runs in agility class. Less stressful for both of us this way!

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
Molly got her open jumpers title today and is up to elite for tomorrow.

But.

This run.

This open chances run.

Is the best run I believe I've ever had with her and it made, and makes me so stupid happy. Discriminations and contacts at a distance? She's got this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um400lbC1MQ

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
End tally for the weekend:

Molly got Open Jumpers and Open Regular Titles, and qualified in Elite Jumpers (+ a chances Q)
Kylie got the rest of her NATCh points in Jumpers, + a couple of T'n'G Qs.
Kiran got Qs in Tunnelers and Weavers, and learned how to do discriminations on the fly (Trial by fire :p)

Kiran and Kylie ran about half as many courses as Molly (and no regular) so they all had a pretty good weekend.

Kiran's looking more like a freaking mess than he did in October, but it's a good thing. He's lost the perfectionistic 'obedience agility' thing and figured out it's a fun game, so he's going much faster. He just still has almost no experience himself, and I certainly don't know a lot about running him yet (timing, pressure sensitivity, level of obstacle commitment, etc).

Kylie continues to be a rock star and my favorite.

Going to take January and focus primarily on Kiran in lessons since he and Kylie have a trial at the end of January and beginning of March, and Molly's off until late March.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Molly got her open jumpers title today and is up to elite for tomorrow.

But.

This run.

This open chances run.

Is the best run I believe I've ever had with her and it made, and makes me so stupid happy. Discriminations and contacts at a distance? She's got this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um400lbC1MQ

Awseome run! Love your distance. We have a trial coming up in two weeks...cannot wait!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Molly looks great! Good luck dogsule at your upcoming trial.

Goal for 2019 is to actually get out there and enter Renegade in trials. Agility skills wise, he is waaaaaaaay past ready to start trialing. Now he just needs to gain experience and exposure to trial pressures and performing in new locations.

We went to one trial last year and he did fabulously. He was rather slow compared to class as he stressed more. He definitely has a pattern of stressing in new locations. But he stayed with me at all times and did not run out of the ring which is a huge improvement from the only other trial we've ever done (that I entered way before he was ready). We only got one Q but the other 3 runs we did at the trial were great. We only missed out on the other Qs because of 1-2 knocked bars in every other run.

Our general agility goals other than trialing is to work on not knocking bars and to get much more independent stopped contacts. I currently have to be right there for him to decide he wants to stop. Also, to get over my own silly fears about trialing.

I finally made the leap and signed Rio up for classes. I was hesitant because of how much of a mess Renegade was in foundations classes but they are two entirely different dogs and I still need to reconcile that notion in my head. It has been fabulous for him. We finished Foundations 1 and resume Foundations 2 next week. He is a rockstar and is really excelling and loving it. Rio has turned on to the game being fun so much faster than I expected. He absolutely loves it and is so much better behaved at home when he is actively going to classes.

He is having a bit of reactivity/weirdness when he first sees other dogs but recovers quickly and we're working on it outside of class as well. He is so speedy and is going to be utterly different from running Renegade. Ren isn't slow and runs fairly quickly but is an 85lb GSD and so is much slower than my little 33lb squirt of a BC.

Looking forward to what this year will bring in agility for both of them!!

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avFBCrE7nNg

I realized I didn't post the rest of her runs, so have that.

I had a friend tell me that every time you get a new dog, it is like starting almost over and she's not wrong. the changes in timing and handling are enormous, but it is so much fun.

And, yeah, the getting over the fear and competing is the hard part. Once you get into a groove and know people and locations and what to expect it gets so, so much easier.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
So we had a trial this past weekend. Went Saturday and Sunday. Both Belle and Raya had three runs each day. Belle was very sniffy and not into it on Saturday and totally not into it on Sunday. She did Q both days in T2B without any refusals but was not her normal self. I have no clue what is up with her.....this isn't out of the ordinary though. She is over the top exited to go and be there but once we step into the ring another dog shows up. We are trying to go back to treating way more often in class verses running a whole course before treats come. Hopefully this will help some. Otherwise I don't know what to do.

Raya on the other hand was nice and fast all weekend. HOWEVER...I got a huge reality check on Saturday when my up to this point very focused dog...turned into a judge visiting, start line stay breaking, table jumping off, weave breaking, off course jump taking little dog. She totally surprised me. She ran well in T2B that day except for one refusal and one turn the wrong way (both which make no sense by where I was and what she did) and got a Q but when we started Standard omg....I think a different dog was with me. She has never even looked at a judge before let alone go jump on one. Her weaves have been spectacularly solid and she wouldn't do them without cutting out in the middle and running and taking another jump, would not stay on the dang table, again never an issue before. When we were up for Jumpers I had no clue what she would do but was going to try to keep her in line better. I messed up a tunnel entrance (totally my fault) so we weren't going to Q but when she cut out of the weaves again I very firmly said her name and very firmly told her to come here. She listened well and did the weaves perfectly and the rest of the course too. So Sunday we are up for T2B, she did break her start line stay but if you watch the video, it wasn't bad, she stood up anticipating my release but didn't take off, rest of the run was clean so I was like ok...we are good! Open Standard was up and she was perfect for the whole thing....minus the table which she went up and over, I got her back on and she jumped back off. Ugh! Then came Open Jumpers, she broke her start line stay worse than in T2B but due to sniffing something and then pulled out of the weaves (however I do believe this was my fault as I was thinking about my front cross at the end at the point she pulled out), we went back and she did them fine, so we got our Q. This was her title run, so she now has her Open Jumpers Title. She has had seven runs in AKC Jumpers at trials so far and two titles, seven runs in Standard and only one title. One thing I was happy about this weekend was all her contacts (minus the table) were solid. She had a few slow downs before them at other trials as I think she had a bit of confusion discriminating against what she was going on like dog walk vs teeter but we had been working on that and it showed. She was also running better I think as was I. I felt my front crosses were much better than I usually do. Anyway, worked with Raya on the table last night in class and will be rewarding that for a bit, she never jumped off last night either. Also did a send with her last night that was like 20 ft! I haven't done FAST with her as I didn't think we had much of a send. lol. Oh and blind crosses, worked on them last night and she read them perfectly. Belle was wonderful at class last night too, ran like normal...no not wanting to be there thing but that doesn't usually happen at class either.

So here are Raya's T2B run and her Open Jumpers runs from Sunday....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ2daZ6EFo8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFxcE14Qi8A

and her cute little mug shot with her ribbons from the weekend.
2019-01-22_09-48-38 by rzyg, on Flickr

I also realized Belle only needs 4 more Q's in T2B to get her title and only 3 more points. She has done really well with T2B for some reason.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Nice run! How did you get it to embed like that in this thread? I tried several ways and it just wouldn't.
I clicked the little icon on the top of the text box that looks like film (between the quote icon and the photo icon) and then just copy and pasted the YouTube link in there.

5301 - 5320 of 5377 Posts