17,895 Posts

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
Molly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjadwIRkE7o

Kiran
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vquuNg-fusY
(and apparently I can only embed once, so.)

Molly was pretty much on the edge of totally out of control all weekend - but the trial was not a disaster. She got 2 out of 3 Qs yesterday, and my very favorite one was the NQ (the chances/2nd run in the video). We're not talking about Saturday with her :p But it was funny!

Kiran got 4 out of 6 for the weekend - and his novice regular title, first time running regular in a trial AND we skipped Intro! He's gaining confidence pretty fast, and I'm proud of him.

Kylie - is taking a while to process video for because she got 6 Qs and her NQs were tiny handler errors. Dog's awesome, guys :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvYzri7Ujyg Kylie video.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Okay, I finally uploaded his vid to YouTube! Like I said earlier, we had a little hiccup where he missed the jump because I pushed him out a bit too far, but luckily he didn't take that next jump and the rest of the run was clean! He was pretty tired, as that was his last run of the day, so he's kind of dragging his butt, but he got 2nd in his class!

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
Okay, I finally uploaded his vid to YouTube! Like I said earlier, we had a little hiccup where he missed the jump because I pushed him out a bit too far, but luckily he didn't take that next jump and the rest of the run was clean! He was pretty tired, as that was his last run of the day, so he's kind of dragging his butt, but he got 2nd in his class!

Whoa. GO RALPHIE GO! That is SPECTACULAR!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I loved watching everyone's runs! Great job Ralphie! You guys did really good. Congrats. :)

Of your 3 CptJack I love watching Kylie run the most. I swear she gets even more enthusiastic each video you put up. Just pure happiness. Congrats on a great weekend.

I have no video of my runs this weekend because I have no friends in AKC to record me. But we got our AX (Excellent Standard) and also a Q in Excellent JWW. It was a good weekend.

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
I loved watching everyone's runs! Great job Ralphie! You guys did really good. Congrats. :)

Of your 3 CptJack I love watching Kylie run the most. I swear she gets even more enthusiastic each video you put up. Just pure happiness. Congrats on a great weekend.

I have no video of my runs this weekend because I have no friends in AKC to record me. But we got our AX (Excellent Standard) and also a Q in Excellent JWW. It was a good weekend.
I have fun with all of them, but. Kylie's my favorite to run, for exactly the reason you said.

Molly is having a good time, but she's not *playing*. At least, as far as she's concerned she's not playing. She's INTENSE, but she's intensely deadly serious about this shit. She's also super hard to handle - huge space bubble, huge stride, wide turn, fast as blazes, hair trigger responsiveness, and easily frustrated.

Kiran does not quite grock that all those individual exercises fit together in a whole game yet. He is happy enough but he has no clue what's going on, overall. He just doesn't have the full course experience under his belt. Right now it's basically just... obedience agility. He reminds me a lot of Kylie when she was starting, but we'll see where it goes, overall. And by that I mean in another year or two.

Kylie though, man, Kylie. I mean, I could analyze her agility to death but the long and short of it is - we've been doing this long enough to get each other, she's forgiving and honest, but mostly? She's playing a *game* with me and that's why she likes it. She's bouncy and wiggly and waggly and yappy and happy to play it. It's just pure, absolutely, PLAYING. If she were human, she'd be a sugared up little kid running around an amusement park. And I absolutely freaking LOVE it.

(Premature post, but AWESOME weekend! You guys are moving along in AKC! )

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Love watching all these runs!! Great job everyone. I still cannot get over the outside trials. I have never been to one, most of the ones around here are all inside.

It has been awhile since I have been here. Belle and I are still plugging along and trying to get that MACH. We will have our points long before we have enough double Q's. We struggle with getting the DQ's. We have 5 DQ's (need 20) and 383 points (need 750).

My biggest news is this weekend I start trialing with my newest! My little Raya is now 18 months and will start Novice AKC agility. She is so much more confident and focused than Belle. I know if we don't do well this weekend, it will be my fault, not hers! She is doing awesome!! We started weave training (2x2 method) this past June and she had twelve weaves down pat by Sept. I am so excited and nervous to trial with her! I will let you know how we do!!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
So my newest little girl had a great agility debut! Me...well I was so over the top nervous it wasn't funny. You would think this being my second dog it wouldn't be so bad but nope...spaghetti legs...my friends thought I was going to hyperventilate. lol! Raya is so much more confident and focused than Belle ever has been. Of course being such a young dog, there were some things I hadn't thought about being an issue that did come into play in one of our runs. We did two runs Saturday and two on Sunday. Both AKC Novice Standard and Jumpers. Saturday she Q'd in both, Sunday she got her Jumpers but not standard...she flew off the teeter. For some reason she had a bit of teeter/dog walk discrimination issue on Sunday that didn't really show on Saturday so we need to work on this for the next trial. Saturday she didn't read rear crosses as well but did them, Sunday she had them down just fine. Also on Sunday in that standard run there was an ascending double...she hadn't seen one before (I don't recall her doing one on Saturday) any way as per her typical response when she hadn't seen something before, she went by it. Jumped it fine when brought back around though and we had already NQ'd due to the teeter fly off. I will post a video of one of her runs....of course the handler was so nervous and seems very herky jerky....lol! I thought she did great for a novice dog, first time trialing.

This is her first ever Novice Jumpers run...

https://youtu.be/AffkEDQ_eGg

For some reason I cannot get it to embed in here...can someone explain how to do that. I thought I had it down but I guess not. Thanks....

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
So my newest little girl had a great agility debut! Me...well I was so over the top nervous it wasn't funny. You would think this being my second dog it wouldn't be so bad but nope...spaghetti legs...my friends thought I was going to hyperventilate. lol! Raya is so much more confident and focused than Belle ever has been. Of course being such a young dog, there were some things I hadn't thought about being an issue that did come into play in one of our runs. We did two runs Saturday and two on Sunday. Both AKC Novice Standard and Jumpers. Saturday she Q'd in both, Sunday she got her Jumpers but not standard...she flew off the teeter. For some reason she had a bit of teeter/dog walk discrimination issue on Sunday that didn't really show on Saturday so we need to work on this for the next trial. Saturday she didn't read rear crosses as well but did them, Sunday she had them down just fine. Also on Sunday in that standard run there was an ascending double...she hadn't seen one before (I don't recall her doing one on Saturday) any way as per her typical response when she hadn't seen something before, she went by it. Jumped it fine when brought back around though and we had already NQ'd due to the teeter fly off. I will post a video of one of her runs....of course the handler was so nervous and seems very herky jerky....lol! I thought she did great for a novice dog, first time trialing.

This is her first ever Novice Jumpers run...

https://youtu.be/AffkEDQ_eGg

For some reason I cannot get it to embed in here...can someone explain how to do that. I thought I had it down but I guess not. Thanks....
I think she did wonderful for her first ever run! It only gets better from there! She's just a baby dog, so a few of those "fly off the end of the obstacles" are kind of normal, I feel!

And I sometimes can't get things to embed, too, but the link works fine. It's kind of a crap shoot.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I think she did wonderful for her first ever run! It only gets better from there! She's just a baby dog, so a few of those "fly off the end of the obstacles" are kind of normal, I feel!

And I sometimes can't get things to embed, too, but the link works fine. It's kind of a crap shoot.
Thank you! I have really tried to proof her for anything she may have encountered. She has been coming to the trials with Belle and I since she was 10 weeks old (she is 18 month now) so she was used to the noises and stuff at the trial site. I also took her to train at that facility twice last month just so she got on different equipment and I was really glad I did because she did see their equipment as different from ours...it is different colored ours being blue and yellow, theirs is red/yellow. Although the trial equipment there is different from the training equipment so it was different stuff but having trained at two different places I think made her get it that even though it looked and probably smelled different it was the same. I also had people walking around the ring when I would train, acting as bar setters and judges. She was always so focused on doing the course though that she never paid them any mind at all and thankfully is not a sniffy dog. I am much more confident in her than I was in Belle but Belle is a stressy dog whereas Raya is not. Belle still has issues and Sunday they came into play. She hates tunnel starts and all three runs on Sunday were tunnel starts..ugh! First one was good, happy dog we Q'd. Second one was like ok I will do this again and we Q'd. Third one was nope, don't want to do it and we were disconnected the whole run and of course did not Q but didn't NQ until the 5th to the last obstacle...ugh.

That being said we trial again Thanksgiving weekend...I cannot wait!!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
So we had our second two day trial this past weekend. I am so amazed how focused Raya is out there! Both days we did Jumpers, Standard and T2B. The first T2B course was harder than any other one I have seen before this and I really wasn't sure how Raya would do....she surpassed my expectations, had one refusal but they don't count and the rest was perfectly clean. I will post the video but many dogs missed the weave entrance since it was such an odd angle from the jump before it. She Q'd in six out of six runs for the weekend and also earned her Novice Agility and Novice Agility Jumpers titles. Had one refusal in her first Open Jumpers but again was perfectly clean for the rest. She runs differently than Belle and needs more info than I give her at times but so far she comes back to me quickly if I send her wrong.

20181125_171101ffc by rzyg, on Flickr

Her T2B run on Saturday....
https://youtu.be/SR_Ewv0H8kU

Belle had a good day on Saturday with a DQ but Sunday I had to pull her as she was up all night with the diarrhea and did not feel well Sunday.
Here is her Jumpers run from Sat...

https://youtu.be/NdLEDBwqQ8g

This coming Saturday I am taking Raya to a new place about 2 hours from me to trial. Never been there before as Belle stresses at new places. I am taking Belle along but not running her. Hopefully Raya will be ok in a new place and new equipment. If she is I will trial there again the end of Dec.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
So we went to a new place this past weekend, just for one day. Two runs for Raya, Open Jumpers and Open Standard. While running the Excellent/Masters dogs the teeter broke and they had to get a replacement. The replacement teeter was not the typical board, it was much thicker and slanted in at the ends, I thought I heard someone say something about hydraulics so it doesn't bang as bad. Anyhow Raya would not go over it, got on it fine but only went half way to the pivot point and jumped off, tried three times and nope she wasn't doing it so we went on with the course. Then they also, their triple had these odd wings, they were weird looking and Raya went around that jump too. That is the one issues she has, is that she sees different equipment as maybe not being the same thing, I know with experience this will get better. In Open Jumpers I did a two jump lead out (could never do that with Belle) and we had an almost perfect run, one refusal so we still Q'd. My fault as she was not in the right spot for me to do a rear where I wanted and I attempted it anyway and nearly tripped over her. Oops. She even went over the weird looking triple without a problem in Jumpers too. So she has one more leg in Open jumpers left and then she will be in Excellent! Belle did totally fine there and wasn't stressed so I could have run her also, will if we go again. I may not go the end of this month though as driving home was not fun in a winter storm. Too iffy around here to drive where I don't know the roads.

2018-12-03_12-19-10 by rzyg, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Nice runs dogsule! And congrats on recent trials. Trials are always ups and downs. New places are always... interesting.

So we played "dog switch" in our class. What I learned from dog switch: My dog is incredibly hard to handle. I mean, I always kinda knew that because Ember is pretty easy to steer minus her crazy fastness but.. wow. After running a smooth dog that's no nonsense and all focus.. I'm less worried about some of me and Kai's issues we are working on. We work really hard on things but I'm seeing more and more lately how truly hard tempered and difficult my girl is in some areas. She's not the kind of dog you can just direct. She takes perfect acceleration and deceleration in order to keep her where she's needed. She turns like a boat. You cannot disconnect, ever. You have to be a step ahead of her at all times, no hesitation. She also needs jazzed for some things, not a word for others. Yeesh. It's really a challenge and honestly a lot of fun. I'm glad I ended up with a difficult dog because I've learned so much through her. I appreciate our efforts so much more now.

Also I feel terrible for the less seasoned handler that got stuck trying to work my heathen. She had fun anyway.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Thank you! Raya is really loving it. Belle enjoys it too but has her stress issues. You are lucky your dog will run with others. Belle has a select few that can run her if needed but for the most part she wants me to run her. American Cockers are pretty much one person dogs. Not sure about Raya if anyone else could run her, never tried yet.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
So we played "dog switch" in our class.
I love when we do that in class! It's always eye-opening. With Denali for the longest time we had to be calm because trying to jazz her up would make her more nervous, in a frantic kind of way. We'd just get zoomies and refusals. This year, at 8 years old, we did a dog swap and my classmate running her has a more energetic run style and Denali LOVED it. Funny enough, same classmate ran Kaytu several months later. Kaytu has really, really struggled with obstacle focus so I tend to not run very fast because we miss everything. I have to babysit. Apparently not anymore, she ran fast and was getting almost everything. Ever since I've been running as fast as I can and she's running so much better.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Kai will only run for people if they have cookies. If they struggle with handling her, she will get frustrated/anxious and come back to me. She ran very well for a world team handler who had no hesitations. Aka, she only runs well for the experienced and confident (I lack both at times but I mean in strangers, not me! :p). The handler who ran her the other day had a few hiccups and I had to send her back to the girl a couple times.

Jazzing up and being chill/silent is always a fun thing to have figure out with individual dogs. I hear that many dogs really start to pull together around 7ish years old.. so maybe that's why Kaytu is doing better! No idea how true it is of course. :)

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
Molly will run for absolutely anyone, including people she'd take the face off if they tried to pet her. She's the same with disc and it's very weird, though clearly I try to limit her running to people she knows well enough to be okay with. She used to run back to me, but these days she's much more into the game, so anything that ends up on the table is fine. Kylie will run for people who have cookies, and that's about it. Kiran won't even freaking sit for my husband unless I'm right there AND there's a reward he wants in his face.

I am hoping for that 'come together about 7' thing with Molly :p Kylie came together about 5, and at 6.5 she's very, very consistent. Like we don't even train agility anymore - odd trip through the weaves but that's about it. Just show up at trials and if i remember the course Q. It's weird. (If I cared about elite chances she'd need more, but I don't)

Next trial the weekend after Christmas. It's a horse barn. There are pigeons. Kylie will be fine. Border things are going to chase birds.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Jazzing up and being chill/silent is always a fun thing to have figure out with individual dogs. I hear that many dogs really start to pull together around 7ish years old.. so maybe that's why Kaytu is doing better! No idea how true it is of course. :)
7 huh....Belle is 5, hoping that 7 may be the magic number. If Raya continues to be as good as she has been and keeps learning more as we go, she may pass Belle right up!!

I really swear Raya watched Belle so closely when Belle was out on the floor that she sort of knew what she was supposed to do. I mean she took the wrong end of the tunnel at the trial on Saturday but on Monday night at class we did back sides which I haven't really done with Raya before at least not that I told her to go around like I do with Belle. Well I did on Monday night and the stinker went around the backside just like I told her to. I mean maybe I had the right positioning and everything giving her the cue on time but sometimes she seems to know things I haven't taught her. She really did always watch Belle when we were practicing or trialing. She's not perfect, she does make mistakes mostly due to me being in the wrong place, but she is really good for such a green dog.

Edited to add...before going in the ring I just do chill things to make sure she is stretched enough for Raya, whereas Belle I try to jazz up.

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
OH! The jazzing up thing:

If it's not end of the weekend and Kylie's not actively trying to take a nap, I ramp no one up. Kylie and Kiran get weirded out/worried and stressed. Molly gets even higher and has no brain. Maybe someday I'll have a dog it works for, but right now not so much.

5281 - 5300 of 5377 Posts