Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

5161 - 5180 of 5373 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Yeah I will have to watch for those, I don't hear of them very often around here tho. My biggest problem is I get so frustrated and embarrassed by him when he starts the barking tantrum and that doesn't help. He can definitely tell when I get upset and then he's really going to be off.. He's a dog that is teaching me a lot though! So different than my last dog too. Boomer was so biddable and handler focused that even when stressed he would give his all. I'm finally getting better about not comparing Roo to my last dog tho and that is making us a much better team! Fingers crossed for a run tomorrow!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yeah I will have to watch for those, I don't hear of them very often around here tho. My biggest problem is I get so frustrated and embarrassed by him when he starts the barking tantrum and that doesn't help. He can definitely tell when I get upset and then he's really going to be off.. He's a dog that is teaching me a lot though! So different than my last dog too. Boomer was so biddable and handler focused that even when stressed he would give his all. I'm finally getting better about not comparing Roo to my last dog tho and that is making us a much better team! Fingers crossed for a run tomorrow!
The comparisons are difficult. I spend a lot of time comparing Ben to Dahlia. Both in the positive and the negative. I mean, Dahlia was slow, methodical, not confident, and tended to stress so far down that she refused to move off the start line. But she wasn't the dog who would lose her head or run off and she gave me lots of time to think on a run. Ben is fast and driven and loves to work but he loses his focus and starts shooting his mouth off pretty easily. He is VERY frustrated by not getting to play with other dogs (dogs are ACE!). At the trial we went to he lost his fool head and started barking at all the other dogs (after someone came WAY too close to us while waiting in line to go out) and the ring gate person actually shouted "This dog is REALLY excited!" to the judge just to let her know why we were delayed in entering. I was sort of mortified.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Yeah I was terrible about comparing mine but only in the bad I guess and that wasn't fair at all and made it hard to bond with Roo. And even though in my head I think like Boomer was so perfect, he did have his issues too that I had to work through.

Roo's trigger is seeing or hearing other high drive dogs work, whether it's agility, herding, rally whatever. I've worked a lot on making him down stay and be calm while I work my pup and that has helped but he's just an exciteable guy lol. He does well with the lower drive dogs in classes but get another aussie or border collie out and he loses it haha. I'm still trying to find a food reward that he finds more exciting than other dogs but he is the pickiest dog about treats!

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
The more trials you go to and the more other dogs you see doing this kind of stuff, the more you'll relax, I think. It's really, really, common amongst the agility dogs - everyone's seen it, most people have lived it, no one thinks much about it. Getting super comfortable with the people and setting and having that 'no one notices or cares' thing sink in helps, a lot. And unsurprisingly as your frustration drops, so will the dog's.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The more trials you go to and the more other dogs you see doing this kind of stuff, the more you'll relax, I think. It's really, really, common amongst the agility dogs - everyone's seen it, most people have lived it, no one thinks much about it. Getting super comfortable with the people and setting and having that 'no one notices or cares' thing sink in helps, a lot. And unsurprisingly as your frustration drops, so will the dog's.
This is so true. Go to even one trial and you will see ALL sorts of things going on. Dogs who are over-excited and have trouble focusing. Dogs who get the zoomies (it once 5 minutes, all the ring crew, the judge, and the handler to catch a Boxer who took off running around the ring). Dogs who get so stressed they leave the ring (one friend's dog ran out of the ring and managed to race out an open DOOR to leave the building). Dogs who stress way down and barely move. Dogs who run off but whose handlers get them back and do good work. Dogs who sniff. Dogs who get running too fast and knock half the bars. Dogs who fly off teeters or A-Frames. And of course, dogs who rock the course. Who might have, the course before or week before or month before, done any of the other stuff.

You'll see fabulous handlers and ones who are really terrible. You'll see totally confident people (or those who are faking it till they make it!) and some who are a ball of stress.

And MOSTLY you'll see people supporting everyone (though that can depend on the venue and the people involved). I do CPE here and people are always supportive. They were even supportive of my poor girl who used to stress way down and refuse to leave the start line. They were super supportive of my crazy out of control little man. Even the judge ran over to hug me and told me what a great job I did getting the little monster back and working with me.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I'm not sure what Katie's agility future will be (or if it will be), but I'm improving. In class last night we learned / practiced reverse wraps, German turns, and whiskey crosses. My instructor and a classmate graciously ran the course as my dog.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Oh, first trials! I remember those days! It really does take awhile for both you and the dogs to get used to. I've seen some pretty terrible and embarrassing stuff.. but most people are so supportive and have been there.. so it is really no big deal. It will definitely get better as time goes on. I mean.. these are dogs! Dogs will be dogs sometimes. :)

We have not done nearly enough trialing this year. Kai got her first AKC STD and JWW titles awhile back. Only entered one other trial.. but my dogs ended up with some kind of mild form of kennel cough or respiratory thing just in time for it. So yeah.. no trial for her. I finally feel like I can get back to CPE now that most people have their Q's for Nationals. We will alternate between one ring AKC trials and CPE trials for the next couple years hopefully. I really hope to be able to trial more this year.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
I am in an odd place with trailing. I am planning on adding a couple of trials for Kylie next year... and trialing Molly less. I'm still not adding out of the local area trials with her, and I'm going to do a while of just entering her one day of those trials instead of both. She just pretty consistently is fried on day 2 so. We'll reassess as we go.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Well the trial today went great for me and Roo! 3 runs and 3 Q's/1st places! He knocked one bar but other than that he was perfect and FAST! After his last course we even hung out inside and watched the last couple dogs with no barking! I'm very happy with him and excited for tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Belle got her AKC Masters Agility title this past weekend!! Woohoo! It was my goal for this year since late summer when I realized it was possible.

Saturday our day started out badly with the van not starting, my bil came to the rescue as my husband was out of town. It is an hour drive to the trial from my place, in good weather. We got 2 inches of snow during the night however and it was still snowing. Roads were snow covered and slippery. So I got to the trial late, the walk through for masters jumpers had ended and they were in the 5 minutes till start clock. I had called a friend that was trialing too however and apparently everyone knew I was coming in late and the judge was like go ahead and walk it a few times. I think I thanked her a bunch of times, not sure I could of done it without walking it. I at least knew the course then but didn't have my crosses in mind at all. I didn't have anyone film me as I was in a tizzy and thought it was going to be bad and not a Q anyway. Well we went out there and even though I so did not get myself in the right places for the best crosses, Belle had her listening ears on and did everything I told her to do and we Q'd! This was the course...

Jumpers Run by rzyg, on Flickr

We then went on to Q in Standard also so we got a DQ for the day! FAST did not go so well though but that's ok.

IMG_8627ffc by rzyg, on Flickr

On Sunday I knew I needed one more Standard Q for our Masters title. We started with Jumpers and I knew right away Belle was just not into the game. She did have some pudding poo the night before so I am thinking she wasn't feeling the best. No Q in Jumpers although only one refusal. I wasn't quite sure if Standard would go any better and it started out pretty similar to Jumpers however knowing how she was acting I was prepared for it and with a lot of work on my part she got everything and we got our Q so got our Masters Title. Pretty proud of my little girl. Now in the back of my mind I am actually thinking a MACH may be possible...could it be?? I had pretty much decided it was never going to happen. We have 2 DQ's and 150 points right now. It will be a long way out yet but it is now possibly possible.

IMG_8911ac by rzyg, on Flickr

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ben FINALLY weaved 4 poles! Like real weaving! Now we work some angles and then we'll add 2 more and maybe just maybe we'll get to 6 poles sometime in the near future. We're cutting it close though as far as time to train as the snow is rolling in soon and then we can't do anything outside for far too long!

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of quitting agility with Molly. I'm just not good at handling her, and Kylie's right there and so easy and our Q rate is terrible and-

I had a lesson today. We buried my grandmother on Friday. I am running on no sleep, the dog has gotten no exercise. She's a hyped up mess. I took the lesson because I needed to get her out do something with her. To say I went with no expectations would be an understatement; I went in with every intention of doing NOTHING.

She chased an invisible toy she thought my instructor threw. She ran HUGE laps with a toy in her mouth. She ran from the hayfield to the course to pee - twice. I laughed at her and did not care, because I didn't have the mental bandwidth and you know what?

Best agility I've ever seen from her. Truly, gorgeous, beautiful, stuff and pure, happy joy.

I fell in love with my dog again and realized (again) just how strongly she responds to my emotional state and how very, very bad pressure is for her. Someday, I hope, that lesson really sticks.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think sometimes the best stuff happens when you're not overly concerned with how it's going to go. Let's YOU relax and amazing how that lets the dog relax!

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
I think sometimes the best stuff happens when you're not overly concerned with how it's going to go. Let's YOU relax and amazing how that lets the dog relax!
Yep. In all honesty, Molly stresses me out when she's really, strongly, 'on'. She's loud and pushy and spinny and impatient and about two thirds frantic and then I tense up and then she's stressing up on top of just plain ready to go and -

It can create Situations. It's gotten better, but I was due a reminder about how important chilling the heck out for her is.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I got video of Ben doing his little 4-pole weave yesterday. <3

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of quitting agility with Molly. I'm just not good at handling her, and Kylie's right there and so easy and our Q rate is terrible and-

I had a lesson today. We buried my grandmother on Friday. I am running on no sleep, the dog has gotten no exercise. She's a hyped up mess. I took the lesson because I needed to get her out do something with her. To say I went with no expectations would be an understatement; I went in with every intention of doing NOTHING.

She chased an invisible toy she thought my instructor threw. She ran HUGE laps with a toy in her mouth. She ran from the hayfield to the course to pee - twice. I laughed at her and did not care, because I didn't have the mental bandwidth and you know what?

Best agility I've ever seen from her. Truly, gorgeous, beautiful, stuff and pure, happy joy.

I fell in love with my dog again and realized (again) just how strongly she responds to my emotional state and how very, very bad pressure is for her. Someday, I hope, that lesson really sticks.
I found this true with Belle too when I lost Maya, she ran really well and I wasn't into it at all. She isn't hyper at the trials at all but does stress which makes me stress which makes us run badly at times. Thankfully now though with Raya there she is much more relaxed and things are falling into place better and we are running better.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Denali had a good weekend! We got QQ #4 this weekend! AKC trial.

Here are the videos I got.
Premier JWW Q
https://www.facebook.com/beyondblond/videos/vb.19228523/10104181586424273/?type=3

Master Standard Q
https://www.facebook.com/beyondblond/videos/vb.19228523/10104184430469783/?type=3

Master JWW (NQ, wrong end of tunnel)
https://www.facebook.com/beyondblond/videos/vb.19228523/10104184433823063/?type=3

Master Standard Q, then got a JWW Q after for QQ #4. Watch her table stop on this one, she barely held on. Good girl!
https://www.facebook.com/beyondblond/videos/10104186174479773/

Speaking of good girls, they get to dig up gopher holes and then get pizza rolls. We have a tradition with AKC trials where she gets one pizza roll per Q, plus one for a QQ.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Open Versatility for Kylie, the last day of the year. Next trial is the end of January, and that puts her in Elite Chances. Start of this year, I wasn't sure she'd ever get out of novice.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts

And yesterday's elite jumpers run. I'm REALLY pleased with this one.

5161 - 5180 of 5373 Posts