Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

5141 - 5160 of 5378 Posts

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
While waiting for Kiran to get old enough for our club's foundation classes AND them to come around again (so either late December or April, depending) Kiran's been doing some flyball drop ins with a friend's team. I have to say, for foundation skills and just working around other dogs in a busy environment? This is pretty gold. Weird as heck for me, but GOLD.

Kylie has also gone once and will again and while, again, really not ideal - even one practice/lesson was really good for her confidence and independence.

Agility is still definitely my sport, and I don't think tournaments are an environment I can hack, but I'd totally let these people borrow my dog (Well Kiran, no one's borrowing Kylie) if they needed to. Mostly though - surprisingly useful training for agility.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My standard poodle is now the a-hole dog racing around, not listening, shutting down, etc that everybody hates, no one more than me. We are going back to one obstacle click-treat/toy, one obstacle click-treat-toy

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
My standard poodle is now the a-hole dog racing around, not listening, shutting down, etc that everybody hates, no one more than me. We are going back to one obstacle click-treat/toy, one obstacle click-treat-toy
OMG, are you sure you don't have my standard poodle? I'm seriously thinking about giving up on agility because it's incredibly frustrating and demoralizing. Freaking dog never begs for food at home - two weeks ago in class she would not leave the instructor alone because she had wheat thins. Ugh. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Emmybear _ How'd it go?
I totally meant to update here ages ago, not more than a month and a half later!!:redface:
Life has just been unbelievably busy since then.

The trial was fun and a major learning experience. Only one 5 point q from the whole weekend but I didn’t go into it expecting them so that was fine. We had a bunch of near q’s though and runs where certain things were just great. He nailed his contacts all weekend(he’s totally blowing them off right now but that’s a story for a different post). He got distracted a bunch and went to visit ring crew but came back to me and did stuff. I was incredibly proud of that.

The first day was cold and rainy an we both loved it. We had a bunch of runs that were great except for a few things. We had a Touch and go run which was perfect except he decided to turn around at the top and come back down the a frame to sniff for no discernible reason. Maybe stress, but he finished the rest of the run perfectly. There were a couple incidences of him skipping the last obstacle to run to his leash. That was partially because the leash runner put the leash directly in front of the last obstacle not very far from it. It was no big deal, just let me know it’s something I need to work on.

Overall, we had no q’s on Saturday but I was really proud of him. For our first trial, he did great. He did things with me , didn’t stress too much, and was able to settle in his covered crate all day and chill out between runs. Very minimal barking when I left him.

The second day was a different story. I know know I should have stuck with just one day. We may have been fine if it had been as cool as the first day but it was about 20 degrees hotter and we were both tired. He was kind of off from the beginning. We had a couple runs that didn’t really stand out. They weren’t great but weren’t awful either. He was just tired and hot I think. Then he discovered he could run out of the ring. Since he hadn’t all weekend, I wasn’t prepared for it and it terrified me. I was so worried he would offend some dog and they would start a fight and he would get hurt. I should of just requested the gated shut and had a training run or just been done for the day but I didn’t want to end on that note.

He ran out of the ring again near the end of the run and the judge very politely informed me that we’d be excused from the trial if it happened again. I completely understood, it’s a huge safety concern after all. However, it was hot and Renegade had scared me by running out again and I got a bit emotional and cried a bit. It was super embarrassing but everyone there was incredibly supportive and kind. Someone even gave me a hug. I was ready to be done for the day but was encouraged to just go out and do 1 or 2 obstacles, throw a party and leave the ring. I went out there, went to take his collar/leash combo off and he was not having it. Not sure why he didn’t want it off but I walked out, scratched that run and just chillled and played with him for a while. By the time the next run for us came around, he seemed a lot calmer and happier so I decided we would try again.

That was when we ended up with our first q. It was only a 5 point q but after it being a long day, I was seriously proud. He got a second wind, went out and played with me and we got a q. The only runs left of the day were tunnelers. We did them because he absolutely loves tunnels so I thought he’d enjoy them. He did great except blowing off the last tunnel for both runs to run to his leash. We’d never used his Rush To Tug martingale leash in class before and I think it was just too exciting for him at the trial.

At first I was discouraged by how things went on Sunday but then later I watched the videos of some of our runs. They weren’t awful, especially for how hot and tired we were. Really, things went awesome!! At not even 2 yet, he’s still very much a disctractable baby dog. We also had only been doing agility for about 5 months by the time we trialed. And we were only rarely doing full courses by that point.

Overall, I’m thrilled with how it went and am truly glad I entered it. He really did fantastic for how green we both are. I’m going to wait a while to enter another trial for a while so we can work on the things that we need to and get better. Also, work on more impulse control, obedience, and get him neutered. The trial was a huge asset in identifying problem areas that don’t really show up in class.

Everybody there at the trial was so incredibly nice and supportive, a bunch of them gave me advice at various times. Even the judge stopped us to tell us that if we just keep working hard, we’ll make a really great team someday. I also got to video a NATCH 16 run(I think it was 16, might of been 7). It was really awesome.

I also got recruited to go try UpDog at Finny Farm because I was playing frisbee with him at the trial. We haven’t had a chance to go yet because of car issues but we definitely will. I love agility, but he is truly insane for a disc.

I just really can’t express what an experience the trial was for me in so many ways. He made mistakes, I made more mistakes, but it was really fulfilling and enlightening.

*Sorry for the ridiculously long dissertation of a post I just typed out. If anyone even reacts half of it, kudos to you haha.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
I read it all and that sounds like a really, really, *Really* excellent first trial!

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
NADAC is undergoing some rule changes as Sharon is no longer participating in the running of it - she's handed it over to Chris and Amanda. One of the changes is that any rule change that requires you to alter your training or would be 'negative' will be put into practice 6 months after being announced. The other is that the handbook is being kept up to date. The YPS requirement changes have also been part of this.

Tonight's change?

1-) Bypassing the last obstacle is no longer a 20pt fault - or any more fault than bypassing any other obstacle. You lose time, but do not get other faults. You can fix it and Q. It's just like any other 'refusal' in NADAC (which doesn't call refusals)

2-) Startline stay/training : Once you have left your dog you can not cross BACK across the plane of the first obstacle. If you do, you are eliminated. But as long as you don't cross back across the plane of that first obstacle you *CAN* go back.

...I'm liking all of this stuff. Just for pure consistency.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I really love that change with regards to the last obstacle. We had quite a few runs at the trial that were otherwise decent where he just ran on by the last obstacle and I wished I could’ve fixed it just like the other obstacles. It was mainly when the last obstacles were hoops which he sometimes still ignores.
I need to make a couple hoops or buy them to practice with at home. And make more jumps and stick in the ground weave poles while I’m at it.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
I really love that change with regards to the last obstacle. We had quite a few runs at the trial that were otherwise decent where he just ran on by the last obstacle and I wished I could’ve fixed it just like the other obstacles. It was mainly when the last obstacles were hoops which he sometimes still ignores.
I need to make a couple hoops or buy them to practice with at home. And make more jumps and stick in the ground weave poles while I’m at it.
I've never really understood the last obstacle being 'special' in that you weren't allowed to fix it, when refusals weren't called/things anywhere else in the venue. I suspect it had something to do with Sharon's ideas about dogs being in control in and out of the ring and dogs not dashing out the gate or to grab leashes and tug, but frankly keeping the tug rules and 'don't leave the ring' rules in place cover that just fine and I'm glad Amanda and Chris have changed that. I've lost Qs to it in the past and really? It disproportionally punishes new handlers and green dogs and I particularly hate it for that (as well as it just plain being inconsistent and dumb).

The startline thing is largely irrelevant to me, but it's hugely helpful for a lot of people I know. Not because the dog the dog won't stay, but because sometimes the dogs won't GO, LOL. So you have to step back and get your dog off the line? Qs gone. Also particularly problematic if they're doing a huge lead-out. I get not wanting to spend 93 years because people spend forever positioning and going back to their dog to make sure it stays but 'even one step back' was just frustrating and dumb and kind of really got in people's way - and willingness to run in NADAC.

Honestly, Chris and Amanda are just more organized and reasonable and I"m happier than I was with a lot of Sharon's rapid fire COURSE changes and criteria changes with little to no notice.

(I used to have a yard. Now I mostly have agility equipment :p Stuff's addictive).

Trial this weekend. I'm looking forward to it but eyeing the weather. One day warmish and rain the other freezing and cloudy with chances of some SNOW? Hokay. (Also no one's gotten nearly enough training lately and I have no idea what's going to happen with this but should be interesting!)

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Today's trial was at a public park we often use. We usually have spectators, there, and about 98% of them are awesome and the biggest thing going on is asking people to move back from the fence a little. Lots of kids, lots of people asking questions, some people interested in doing it with their dogs, the usual and almost all of them are fairly respectful.

Then there's the other 2%. Or not even.

last year, a woman showed up with 2 off leash labs, running along a fence we had crates against, scaring the crap/starting fence fights with dogs IN those crates. Pitched a fit when told to leash her dogs. She was back this year. Same dogs, still off leash, only the fit she threw was bigger. I am STILL angry and it's been hours.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
" NADAC will start including more technical aspects to many courses, along with open flowing aspects as well." From one of the heads of NADAC. I have no complaints but I do have a tongue in cheek 'you could have told us before we saw said technical challenges on course, in a trial!

I don't even know HOW to describe what showed up on my regular courses this weekend beyond 'hard' and 'lots and lots of potential off courses and discriminations everywhere' - and I DON"T mean contact/tunnel discriminations! I mean 'call off an obstacle 2 feet away at an odd, often sharp angle to get the correct obstacle.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Oh and Molly got her first open regular Q (only open dog to have a clean run on that course) and an elite tunneler's Q and 2nd (this is important to me because running 16", it's a big class with a lot of very good dogs). Kylie got a regular Q in spite of suddenly technical courses and she also got a second open chances Q. We're getting this distance thing.

Other things happened/were better, but those are the big ones.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
NADAC trial last weekend. Kaytu has been in classes only 6 months but I entered her in a few runs for fun.

First time at a trial, first time in a horse arena, first time running on dirt. Weird rocky start, she did the "husky arc" out and I didn't want to lose her to the smells so called her in and we did the last jump. As far as I'm concerned that was a fantastic first ever trial run in such a different, busy environment. This is a huge trial.
Jumpers - https://www.facebook.com/beyondblond/videos/vb.19228523/10104118871141203/?type=3

I didn't get her TnG run recorded but she did the first jump, did husky arc around the next 3 obstacles, I got her back and she did everything else, did awesome.

Tunnelers! We were over on SCT by 10 seconds (over by 26 seconds the first round) but SHE DID IT ALL. Woohooo!!!
https://www.facebook.com/beyondblond/videos/vb.19228523/10104122565647383/?type=3

Then we have my amazing Denali. She got two Elite TnG Qs, her Novice Barrelers title plus a Q, her Elite Regular title, and her Open Tunnelers title plus a Q. She ran SO HAPPY and nailed her Regular weaves. This course we didn't Q on either time, but I just love how happy she was.
https://www.facebook.com/beyondblond/videos/vb.19228523/10104127573511583/?type=3

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
NADAC course maps don't show up online very often, so here - have one.

Marked with my final handling decisions (with Kylie) after a lesson of breaking it down and trying different stuff. Not the decisions I made in trial, and we practiced all sorts of things but with Kylie? What's marked ended up being the best option for us - smoother, faster, and frankly a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Haven't been here in awhile. Belle and I are still doing agility and since getting a new puppy (Raya) this summer I have discovered something. Belle is much more relaxed at trials now with Raya along. I have been taking Raya with to trials since the week after we got her at 9 weeks. She has been totally fine with all the noise, dogs and people at the trials so far. Belle and I have even gotten our first double Q as she finally got out of Excellent Jumpers and into Masters Jumpers. She has two more Q's to go in the standard class to get her Masters Agility Title. She is running much better now with a pal along, who knew?? Raya is now 6 months and has just started our beginning agility classes and is doing great! Unfortunately we don't have foundation classes around here so I just have to go to what we have. I have a tunnel at home so she was very familiar with the tunnel and going through jumps without the bars up. We did a puppy sort of class this past August which was a combination of socialization/rally/obedience and agility she did very well with it. So at our beginners class she has been introduced to the A frame, she went up and over, no fear. Also the dogwalk, up over and across, again no fear. In the class it was just an introduction to them, it was up to the individual dogs how far they would go. Monday night she saw the teeter for the first time. My trainer doesn't like to start with the teetered lowered, she feels they need to see it as it is, how they will do it. Belle was terrified of the teeter for quite some time so I really wanted to start with it lower but seeing Raya seemed to be a more confident dog I just went with it. So first we just were going to have her put her feet on the end and treat, then let it up a bit so she could put her feet on the end and bang it slightly. Well she just went up and to the middle right off the bat so we let her weight lower the other end down and guided it down, no bang. She was only slightly leery of the fact that it moved when she walked to the middle. She really wasn't afraid of it at all and we ended up letting her up and over it several times, only letting it bang midly. I cannot believe she can be so calm about the teeter after the way Belle was, Belle still has a love/hate relationship with that thing! I am so hoping she will stay this nice accepting dog with all that is agility and will enjoy it. So far she has not been a sniffy dog at class (one to go off sniffing everything like Belle was) but I can see she will be a tunnel sucker for a bit. lol!

My agility girls...
IMG_2613ac by rzyg, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I don't post here much but I finally took Roo to a trial recently. He's been ready in classes for awhile but he tends to lose his mind when other dogs run so I was nervous about trialing. We went to an ASCA trial and although he didn't Q I was overall happy enough with him in that we met our goal that he didn't pee on anything or completely take off on me. He got too over aroused beforehand like I expected when waiting his turn so he was a little wild on the course and knocked bars, blew past a couple jumps and missed his weaves entry but he called back to me each time and I was able to redirect him back easily. His last run was almost perfect if he hadn't noticed my mom in the crowd at the last jump and veered toward her instead of taking the jump. I was also really happy with how nice and helpful everyone at the trial was about his barking while waiting in line. That is my main worry about getting him out to trials.. This weekend we are attempting our second trial, it is CPE so I'm hoping it will be a nice easy course for us and we are first in running order so hopefully that will help with keeping him focused!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Awesome! Congrats on getting out there and keeping him focused enough to run with you. I have a dog who sounds a LOT like yours. He is very excited about other dogs and will sometimes start barking and not stop when he can't run over and play with them. We went to our first trial this past weekend (CPE) and he DID take off, but I was able to get him back! And like you, no Q's, but he worked with me and did some really nice work when we were out there.

Good luck this weekend!

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Went to a trial last weekend. Lucy ran really well, just one mistake in a couple of classes so no Q's in them but did get a Q in Advanced Standard. The best thing though was that the two judges choose the happiest dog and handler and Lucy and I won it. It gives us free entries in their next trial which won't be until next March. With very limited trialing, Lucy is in Advanced in all her classes and just needs one more Q in Advanced Standard and Advanced Snooker and 2 Q's in Gamblers and Jumpers to move into Masters.

We train every Wednesday and Saturday although will miss some now that the weather is getting colder. We do train unless it is -10C (about 25F) as the arena is not heated.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Crysania, yes that is exactly how Roo is! He's slowly improving I think, but it is so hard to get his brain back once he gets into that excited barking mode. He is an awesome dog when he's focused though so hopefully getting him out to new places more will help. My plan is to do one trial a month for now. Unfortunately my classes will be ending in December and won't start up again until March. I'm hoping I can find somewhere else to take them for the winter.. on another note, my newer pup turned 1 in September and we've started really training for agility. I think she will be ready to trial next spring and she's turning out to be a fun little dog!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Haha yup -- our dogs sound so much alike! Ben is AMAZING when he's on. And he's gotten better at refocusing on me (I mean, he ran off all crazy-faced but came back and worked at the trial!). But still, it's a work in progress. And very different from my previous dog who stressed WAY down and so wouldn't move if things stressed her out.

Check out "show 'n' goes" and "fun matches" too. Some places will have fun matches that are trial-like but allow toys and/or treats in the ring. You can get out, do a bunch of stuff...run a course, work on contacts, work on focus, whatever you want, for a couple minutes in a trial-like atmosphere. Usually you can sign up for a few runs, so it's SUPER helpful. We don't have many here, which sucks, but I know some places have a lot of them!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Went to a trial last weekend. Lucy ran really well, just one mistake in a couple of classes so no Q's in them but did get a Q in Advanced Standard. The best thing though was that the two judges choose the happiest dog and handler and Lucy and I won it. It gives us free entries in their next trial which won't be until next March. With very limited trialing, Lucy is in Advanced in all her classes and just needs one more Q in Advanced Standard and Advanced Snooker and 2 Q's in Gamblers and Jumpers to move into Masters.

We train every Wednesday and Saturday although will miss some now that the weather is getting colder. We do train unless it is -10C (about 25F) as the arena is not heated.
IMO an award for "the happiest dog and handler" is better than any Q!! Great job!

We train in an unheated barn too, so classes get canceled when it starts to get cold (here we usually give up around 15F to 20F, though my instructor used to have it when it was even colder...we're getting to be more wimpy in our old age! lol). She has a small heated building, but really we can only do little foundation things in there. We also get a LOT of cancellations due to the snow.

5141 - 5160 of 5378 Posts