Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

4361 - 4380 of 5372 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
So Hank and I are going to two trainers lately. One uses switches and the other hates switches. So confusing. lol

I think I'll probably use them some but USDAA has me wanting to be ahead of the dog as much as possible.

Oh and 'tight' for some turns? Is that a NADAC thing?

·
Registered
17,890 Posts
Tight is a NADAC thing. Some people use it more than I do, but for me it's to indicate 180 degree turn back the way they came. Like the dog comes off the dog walk, takes the hoop, wraps it (but can't go back through it) and then has to take the tunnel in the dogwalk/tunnel discrimination. I have seen a TON of those lately.

And since I suck at descriptions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJoDkAluji0 like 53 seconds - a minute or so there.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The girls and I had a really good agility weekend. We did CPE on Saturday. Zoey Q'd in 3 out of 5 runs, which is the most runs she has done in a long time (since her injury). Skye has a perfect day and Q'd in 5/5 runs! Both girls did some really good stuff. Skye had a really great Jumpers run, my favorite run of the weekend with her. I made a few handling errors but despite that she had so much jump commitment and she totally got the job done like a big girl. It was a run where I finally started to trust her and we started to work together. Super proud of her.

Sunday I had rented time at an indoor horse arena with a friend so we could get in another practice on dirt before Nationals. I was worried that Zoey would be too tired because she was so tired by the end of the day Saturday. But she actually had an awesome practice! The past 2 times we have rented there she has struggled with her weaves, both entries and popping. She didn't miss a single beat on Sunday. She had fast, perfect weaves! And I was even laying them and putting in a lot of lateral distance. She totally rocked. Then she had an awesome class on Monday night!

So, here are my favorite clips from this weekend!

Skye Jumpers run

Zoey, a clip from our practice on Sunday.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
In class today. She was struggling a little with the barrel setup, which is apparently done in NADAC champs but will be coming to [probably only Elite courses] trials. Then after we got it she of course went back onto the A-frame because that's what we'd just been doing haha.

Yes that horrible high pitched screaming and whining is Bobb >.<

·
Registered
17,890 Posts
In class today. She was struggling a little with the barrel setup, which is apparently done in NADAC champs but will be coming to [probably only Elite courses] trials. Then after we got it she of course went back onto the A-frame because that's what we'd just been doing haha.

Yes that horrible high pitched screaming and whining is Bobb >.<
Oh man, those hoops on barrels. They were basically introduced at champs this past October. From what we were told back in January at a judge's briefing is that, yes, they were coming to courses and probably not just elite, either. I haven't seen any yet, but they are on their way. We actually had that Advanced Agility class in part to deal with that, but like I said: I've seen none of it on courses yet, at any level.

What we are seeing right now is a lot more knocked points/faults for taking barrels too wide and a lot more directional barrels where it has to be taken either clockwise or counter clockwise, instead of bidirectional/just go around it. Which was also handled pretty heavily in that 'emergency' advanced class to cope with some of the stuff happening. Being able to switch around the barrel has saved my butt once or twice.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Hank jumped over the barrel the first time he saw one of them. LOL

·
Registered
17,890 Posts
Hank jumped over the barrel the first time he saw one of them. LOL
We had a sheltie do that at our NC trial. Except the 'barrel' is actually a mesh, collapsible composter? And it traumatized itself. Poor dog. (I laughed, anyway)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
There can be a 3rd hoop too, on the back of the barrel from what our instructor was telling us. She was mentioning the faults for doing barrels too wide as well.

·
Registered
17,890 Posts
There can be a 3rd hoop too, on the back of the barrel from what our instructor was telling us. She was mentioning the faults for doing barrels too wide as well.
Yeah, and sometimes you have to hit one hoop and not the other, depending on where they are and direction changes, and sometimes the directional stuff comes into play. That plus '180 around the hoop' makes some of this stuff kind of weird. Not bad, actually kind of fun, but different than even a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
17,890 Posts
Just a couple of pics from the trial photographer. I have many, many more I need to buy but that's going to take a bit.

I'd say our weave stress issues have gone away.

Happy foof.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I wish we had NADAC around here as it looks like fun. I do teach an "around" using a cone, doing it in both directions. We have some jumps in AAC where you have to get the dog to go around them and jump back towards you depending where they are which side you send them around. Kris picked it up really fast but I am still having to work on it more with Lucy.

Lucy (my Shih Tzu x Maltese) and Kris (my Doberman) are so different from each other to train and it is quite hard still to switch from one to the other. We have been doing a lot of twisty-turny courses and I noticed Kris was starting to really slow down waiting to see what I wanted her to do next so I have started just running some straight forward courses like we will hit in Starters and it is getting her speed back. Lucy is very fast and loves all the different ways of doing the obstacles and is much easier to direct. I think they are both going to be fun to trial with, each in their own way. Lucy has done more training and has two Q's so far, one in Jumpers and one in Snooker from last fall.

·
Registered
17,890 Posts
My next trial is middle of next month and a 'games trial' - so no NATCH classes, but 2 rounds of Weavers, Tunnelers, and Touch 'n' Go each day. Not sure what I'm doing with that. Those aren't the classes I care most about but they're definitely fun. Probably will only do 4 each day since it's indoors and Kylie's got limited 'go' inside. Will likely figure out which class is in the middle, not do that one, and carry on.

My focus this summer otherwise is just going to be lessons and working distances/chances stuff. I'd like to get out of novice, there, already. I'm already out everywhere else. Maybe I can knock it out during my 'fall season' trials (all 3 of 'em).

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I am unsuccessfully trying to get my dad to let me take Dutch to classes. I think at the least I may let him practice some jumps. He's REALLY smart and has the best toy drive of any dog we've had in the immediate family. But he's about as coordinated as drunken mastiff so...

I just can imagine the hilarity of it all.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
The girls and I had a really good agility weekend. We did CPE on Saturday. Zoey Q'd in 3 out of 5 runs, which is the most runs she has done in a long time (since her injury). Skye has a perfect day and Q'd in 5/5 runs! Both girls did some really good stuff. Skye had a really great Jumpers run, my favorite run of the weekend with her. I made a few handling errors but despite that she had so much jump commitment and she totally got the job done like a big girl. It was a run where I finally started to trust her and we started to work together. Super proud of her.

Sunday I had rented time at an indoor horse arena with a friend so we could get in another practice on dirt before Nationals. I was worried that Zoey would be too tired because she was so tired by the end of the day Saturday. But she actually had an awesome practice! The past 2 times we have rented there she has struggled with her weaves, both entries and popping. She didn't miss a single beat on Sunday. She had fast, perfect weaves! And I was even laying them and putting in a lot of lateral distance. She totally rocked. Then she had an awesome class on Monday night!

So, here are my favorite clips from this weekend!

Skye Jumpers run

Zoey, a clip from our practice on Sunday.
Beautiful runs! It's almost time for Nationals! I'm very sad that I won't be able to make it but I have friends who will be there. :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Half of what people are saying on this thread, I have no idea what they're talking about haha.
2nd agility class and Haku did even better than first class. We had a different instructor (which still isn't the instructor we should have as she's been having family emergencies) and liked her a lot. She used a bright bowl with a couple treats in it after the obstacles to really get the dog driving through the obstacles and that helped the dogs be really motivated.
Started with weaves. we just had the 2 sides spread apart and we went straight through the middle. She narrowed it a bit as the dogs were getting the idea. Haku did great.
We then moved on to the tunnel. I wasn't sure how Haku would do since he was a bit hesitant last night but he did awesome right from the start. Even when she gave the tunnel a pretty sharp (for a beginner class) he had no hesitation (I think using yarn as his leash helped a lot so he didn't hear his leash chasing after him through the tunnel). Bowl with treats was at the end ( a little ways from the end so they ran out to it)
We then worked on contacts by having a plank on a slight slope then having the bowl right at the bottom so they stopped at the bottom with a couple feet still on the ramp. Haku did great, even jumping up onto the platform that the plank was set on.
Then worked on a few jumps in a row in a straight line. Only once did Haku think to go around one.
I really want to enter the next group of classes but it's not great timing with my puppy, but I may force it to make it work anyways!

·
Registered
17,890 Posts
Honestly, if you can make it work I would. Both because it means you can go on with your little guy without interruption that you may regret later and because you'll learn a lot in general that may be useful with the pup and because he'd probably really, really benefit from some one on one time out in a fun training class with you. That is absolutely why I've done this next agility class with Bug. I mean, yeah, I'll eventually do a trial or three with her, maybe get her a title or two in Intro, but mostly-

It's the one on one time doing fun things, you know?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Right now I really feel like just forcing it to work, but money is also getting a bit tight with some unexpected costs so I'm not sure if I can afford the 240 bucks right now. I will have to keep thinking about it.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Had our first intermediate class on Saturday! There were only two other dogs, a BC and... can't remember, some sort of smaller French breed white dog with long flowy fur.

Had so much fun! We started with a warm up rotating on various conditioning equipment.
Then Luna was introduced to the weave poles, and she did awesome. after a couple mins she was almost going the whole length of the poles with them spaced apart.

We then started working on the a-frame contacts. She did really good standing contacts, and had no fear about jumping up on it. We need to try to work at home on nose targeting on the floor at an angle. I think I'll probably use the stairs.

After that the other teams did a small sequence and we worked on using a toy reward for the tunnel. Luna did awesome, I was so proud of her! She was totally smoking it and getting super excited about the toy. We're moving to me throwing the toy for her to grab instead of trying to meet her at the end to reward- she goes so fast!

Overall I was super proud of her for her first class. We're still learning all the things, but I never felt like we were lacking in ability compared to the other teams- just experience.

This whole thing is just awesome to me. When I first brought her home I would have (and possibly did) laughed at someone suggesting she could do agility- let alone have drive of any kind. Now she's got toy/tug drive out the butt and energy to burn before she gets worn out. Dog is amazing.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Beautiful runs! It's almost time for Nationals! I'm very sad that I won't be able to make it but I have friends who will be there. :)
Thanks! Yes it's almost here I'm so excited!! Bummer you can't make it. 4 legged flix is doing videos so I'm wondering if they will live stream any of it.

Saturday was overall a really good day for both girls!! Zoey's day started a little weird when she refused the A frame in Open FAST, which is her favorite obstacle. her standard run was beautiful until she refused and then jumped off the side of the aframe then refused the dog walk. She had beautiful weaves on the first try!! I had my chiro friend look her over because it's so not like her to refuse the contacts, she loves them. She didn't find anything abnormal so I ran her on JWW and it was lovely! Good pace, perfect weaves and her 2nd Excellent Preferred JWW Q!! Perfect weaves all day in the hardest location for her to trial in. Very proud of her!

Skye had a great day too. She had a nice Novice FAST run in the morning, first Q in that. Perfect teeter and weaves. Then she had a beautiful Open JWW run, seriously flawless! And I had good timing on all my handling! So super happy with that run, and her first open run. Novice standard, first 2/3 of the run was perfect. Then we got a little disconnected and got 3 refusals and a wrong course on like the last 4 obstacles. Very happy with her performance this weekend and again she totally didn't react to the new location.

Zoey ExcP JWW

Skye Open JWW

4361 - 4380 of 5372 Posts