Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 5378 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice videos, Lexipup! Welcome to the forum.

There's a lot you can do with a 10 month old dog to start agility training. Certainly you can work on targeting (I use a bathroom tile), which will help later when you get to contact performance work. You can also do plenty of flatwork and obedience drills (no equipment). For example, the heel work looks great in your second video - what happens if you take the leash off? I also liked the "stay". Proof it by pairing it with a piece of equipment and teasing the dog to make her break. A ball or other toy can also help with this. At this age, tunnels and hoops are great obstacles, but I'd worry more about fundamentals right now and leave the equipment for later.

I'm the resident disc dogger 'round these parts, so lemme know if you have questions. Here's a video of my dog Kit at a discdog club demo recently:

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate any help I can get.

If I take the leash off, sometimes she pays attention and sometimes she doesn't. She hates to heel...a lot--so I try to do really short sessions (like 3 minutes a couple times a day...more than that and she starts ignoring me). Help on heelwork would be fantastic! Also help on targeting. I tried clicker training for the first three or four months of her life and she really doesn't seem to "get it," for such a smart dog. Any suggestions on how to train targeting without the clicker? (And yes, I really, really tried the clicker. I'm aware of how awesome it is and how it encourages the dog to think for herself. But she learns a lot faster without it).

Her stay rocks--I can jump around with a squeaky ball and run and yell and she stays put. I've put a lot of work into her stay--I just didn't include it in that particular video.

As for the obstacles--we were just at the dog park for the day (I live two hours from it) and she ran over and did them first. I just couldn't resist (even though I know that one day will probably ruin her forever). But hey, we had a good time. :)

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Ugh we don't start back up for yet another week! I'm literally dying, haven't had a class since december. :(

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Last night wasn't a eureka class, but it wasn't horrible either. Tag befriended an older kid (around 12-13?) and figured out he really, really likes kids :) He was SUPER happy to be there, and very talkative. Not barky, just lots of yawn-squeaks and making his excited little growly-noise as he sprung straight up in the air. We worked a few serpentines intregrated into a course design, and some back-crosses (getting better). Tag had a stupid moment at one point, we did 2 jumps followed by a 180 degree turn into the weaves. Tag decided he'd rather go visit than weave, and rudely ran up to a GSP. The GSP gave an appropriate growl-snark and Tag backed off and decided now he'd rather weave than visit. Next time around, he totally ignored the dog. I gave him a really ugly approach the to A-frame and slammed on the brakes, and he did too before he ran off the side. (The A-frame was after a jump that was about 90 degrees away. I had to step out a step further and give him a better approach). The A-frame was also more steep than he was used to, and he did a running contact, backed up about 4 steps and did his 2o2o, staring at me intently.
Funny time. When we were getting done with our 2nd to last run, the trainer and the other students were horsing around. I leashed Tag up and the trainer started making a high pitched barky-yip noise (why, I don't know. I missed the convo!) Tag shot to the end of the leash, stood straight as an arrow on his hind legs and stared at her. He exploded with a screech, and then proceeded to leap 4 feet into the air every 1.2 seconds, as the class roared laughing. He continued leaping, growly-chatting at them all, and I was ready to lose my mind. We were laughing SO hard. It was a riot :) After class Tag ran over to the trainer and kissed her like "do NOT swallow any more canaries, you scared me!!!!" It was a fun class.
Apparently after the next class was over, one of the girls and the trainer let their dogs play off leash. They took a video and posted it on youtube and sent it to me. The dogs were chasing eachother, zoomies style, into the tunnel, out of the tunnel, back in the tunnel, out of the tunnel. About 10 times in a row. The trainer was laughing and started talking. When Tag heard her voice, he woke up out of a sound sleep and stared at the speakers, tail waving 1,000mph. He *LOVES* the trainer. It was pretty cute ;)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
While on our off-leash walk in the woods today I think I came up with an idea to help Cherokee slow down on the A-frame so he won't miss the contact. In case you don't know, he had a perfect running contact but recently he has started getting CLOSE to jumping off and missing the contact (he doesn't miss the contact but it seems like he could if he doesn't slow down). In the woods, when he is running on the trail ahead of me and I want him to stop, I use the command WAIT. He usually takes a few steps to slow down to a stop and he waits for my next signal. I am thinking, if I say WAIT as he goes over the top of the A-frame, he may do the same as he does in the woods and slow himself down to a stop. Do you think it's crazy for me to think this may work? is it worth a try? I really don't want to train a 2 on 2 off at this point if I don't have to.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
While on our off-leash walk in the woods today I think I came up with an idea to help Cherokee slow down on the A-frame so he won't miss the contact. In case you don't know, he had a perfect running contact but recently he has started getting CLOSE to jumping off and missing the contact (he doesn't miss the contact but it seems like he could if he doesn't slow down). In the woods, when he is running on the trail ahead of me and I want him to stop, I use the command WAIT. He usually takes a few steps to slow down to a stop and he waits for my next signal. I am thinking, if I say WAIT as he goes over the top of the A-frame, he may do the same as he does in the woods and slow himself down to a stop. Do you think it's crazy for me to think this may work? is it worth a try? I really don't want to train a 2 on 2 off at this point if I don't have to.

You'd have to know your dog -- I've seen people do this sort of thing before and if they have a soft dog it usually adds confusion or a slight negative to the down contact and the dog either slows way in advance and creeps or starts intentionally leaping the contact zone to avoid the "stress area." I mean I have seen it work as a management technique for some people but more often than not it either causes problems or works temporarily then, with time, is ignored as noise.

Taking Kim & Web to a local drop-in agility class tonight :)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
If you plan on competing, MMM, be very careful about relying on a word like wait for Cherokee to hit his contact.. their hearing starts to go at trials with all of the confusion/excitement on course :p

People I know use a hoop at the bottom of the A-Frame or a PVC box around the contact area to maintain performance of a running contact.

Class doesn't start until the 19th for me. Ugh!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Last night's class was fun. We learned the rules for NADAC hoopers and ran it a couple of times (each time doing different tests). We get to do this in trial in about ~3 weeks! Kit has a giant "bubble" around her, and if I step into that space, she responds, often going AROUND a hoop instead of thru it. I'm learning to give her some space.

·
Registered
85 Posts
@MegaMuttMom - how did you teach running contacts?? I am trying to teach Belle running contacts at home until my trainer has a running contact class..

So far I have been using Silvia Trkman's running contact method. We have only been doing it for a few days and so far I have seen some small improvements. I also have looked into the 'Hit it!' board.. They are a little expensive, but for the amount I have spent on trials where we have missed contacts I am not too concerned with the price lol. Anyone have any experience with this? And as MissMutt mentioned I may look into the PVC box/ Rachel Sander method with the running A-frame after we get down somewhat of a running dogwalk... I have all the ideas now I just need to find something that works. :p

For class this week we worked on some double-box/handling exercises and we focused a lot on rear crosses. I was surprised how well Belle did seeing as I rarely attempt rear crosses! Next week I think I may sign up for a 2x2 weave class.. I really want to reteach Belle's weaves just so we get better entrances, drive, and no popping out at the 10th pole anymore! (even though Belle's weaves are already pretty good!)

So looks like a little less trialing and a little more training.. I think it will really pay off in the end.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Cool, happy to see this thread a live.

Been busy around here and other than once a week in a class I haven't been working much with Who in agility but what we have been doing I have been very happy with her. Been far to busy and training in the Recallers course that I am taking online with Susan Garrett. Btw, it is excellent :)

I have Who entered in a fun match this weekend but the goal isn't to actually run her but just do some training in the ring (piece work/sequences) and get her use to more strange equipment in a different place.

My ol boy Petie has been recovered from a dislocated toe for a few months and he has been coming out of his skin wanting to play. He has also had his nose seriously out of joint because of all the training I have been doing with the youngster. So while he had to on the some down time I did a lot of shaping games with him.
We also went to a trial last month, one run for the ol man to keep him happy and he Q'd. We have another trial for him next weekend, needless to say the ol man is thrilled and still flying.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
@MegaMuttMom - how did you teach running contacts?? I am trying to teach Belle running contacts at home until my trainer has a running contact class..
We used our finger as a target and slowed down the dog on the downside by following our target. The only time he now kind of comes close to jumping off is if I have to run away from the A-frame in order to go around a tunnel and it pulls him off towards me. He really watches and follows my body closely so it's really easy to pull him off track if I am not super aware of myself or do something to compensate for my body facing away from him. The upside to this is he is magnificent when I use false turns. They put on his breaks and redirect him fabulously.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
thanks MMM

The poles are split because I wanted to work extra weave entrances...Kim had trouble last trial with her weaves entrances and NQ'd some otherwise beautiful runs as a result, which was a bit heartbreaking. Web debuts in Excellent shortly, though tbh he's been very consistent with his weaves anyway and not using the retry try allotted in Open for the most part.

Mira's first evah trial is in a month (just one entry, JWW) so I thought I should probably start actually sequencing with her lol...the all-white jumps were made a few days ago to give me more flexibility...this is her 2nd time doing sequences with more than say 4 obstacles. However there was a lot of earlier single jump work over the last few months...she's a big dog so I wanted to make sure she really understood jumping and turning over the jump...she seems to be figuring out how to translate all this knowledge to a sequence without wasting too much yardage but we'll see how that works out in the excitement of a trial situation hehe...should be exciting!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Me & Harleigh are having so much fun. We've been doing "real" weaving (we still have guides) for the past few weeks and it is slowly becoming one of Harleigh's favorite obstacles. Her favorite is still the chute & tunnel though. :)

We have a love/hate relationship with the A-frame it seems. She had been rock solid with her 2o2o for quite a few weeks, but then last class she didn't do so well. I think I might have been saying her contact word too late though - we'll see how she does this next week to see if it was a fluke or not.

And last class she was not holding her stays very well at all o_O She is usually really good at that, it was just an overall "off" night for her (& me!) But we still had fun :D

We're doing a lot of sequences and besides me messing up most of the time, we're doing pretty good... I guess. LOL Here are a few videos.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Mira is so fast! Wow!

Mia's first class was yesterday. Mostly orientation. We're starting back with foundations on her with a competitive trainer. I am stoked to get started, I can already tell a BIG difference between the quality of this trainer and my past trainers. She's trained lots of teams to their MACHs and nationals (even one national champion). I really feel this is where Mia and I need to be, even if we are starting back with the basics, it'll be a good review for Mia and really helpful to work through some issues we've had that past trainers haven't really been able to help with. The biggest problem is Mia has always been very drivey and very intense compared to the other dogs and I feel like this trainer will have a better idea how to specialize training for Mia individually. Plus she's trained toy breeds before (unlike the past trainers, Mia was always the smallest). Very professional so far and very informative. I really feel good about this switch. :D

So yes, already am seeing the benefits of a trainer that really truly knows what they're doing. Definitely take the time to find a GOOD trainer. The crazy part is it's cheaper than the last place I was taking classes at.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Funny moment at class last night. Tag has an auto-down on the table. I sent him to the table and started counting out 5 seconds. I moved out to be where I needed to be, and he decided to follow. I repeated "TABLE" and he backed up to the table, felt around the air with his back feet (eyes riveted on mine) and backed UP onto the table and did his down. It was really pretty comical :p

I was really proud of his weaves. We had some hard sequences last night. I sent him into the weave poles and he missed his entry...he got about 1 step into the weaves, BACKED out of them, found his entry, and then weaved. I didn't say a word as he was doing this, and boy was I proud!!!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Yeah I'm kind of wondering...if she's that fast in the yard...how fast will she be at trials???? Guess I'll find out next month lol

Laur I am very jealous of your new class -- it sounds awesome.

LazyG -- That's cute lol. Mira and Web will do that sort of thing...Kim not so much...she'll turn around.

In other news I am retraining Kim's weaves (one could say, I am actually laying a proper foundation finally) from the ground up...already seeing an improvement in desire/confidence so here's hoping. Taking it slowly.

As a result, however, she is not going to the drop-in class tonight. It's an Exc-level (must be in AKC Exc or equivalent to play) class that's doing an Int'l-style JWW course tonight...and I got the okay to bring Mira :) So tonight will be Mira's first-ever agility class lol. I'm going to treat it like a trial just to see how she does and prep for next month...it's a new place so will be a good test. I'll try to get vid for entertainment value ;)

21 - 40 of 5378 Posts