Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

3361 - 3380 of 5373 Posts

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Dangit! Oh well. Everyone needs to be a member of the papillon agility facebook group. :p I think it's invite only but there's always cool videos posted. Makes me want another papillon!

Here's another small vs tall but it's harder to see plus different handlers (and the teeter).

Masher (Pap) vs Pace (BC)

I just think it's neat to see.

NADAC people:

Thinking about entering probably intro in the next NADAC trial in november. I was told you can have 'containerized food' on you is that right?
I think I saw that on BadDog agility *somewhere*, but I can't remember where. I really, really loved it.

NADAC trials now default to containerized, yes. That means you can have the food or toy on your person in the ring if it's in a bag and in your pocket, you just can't indicate to the dog that you have it and it can't be visible or audible. You can't do any rewards within 10 feet of the ring, and you can't leave treats and toys lying around in the open, but basically: Yes. The premium should have information about it, too. There's usually a blurb.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
We have a NADAC trail this weekend. Our first trial in a year! I'm running Denali and also a friend's Havanese. It's sooooooo different running a small dog. Really have to my hands lower for certain things, and be extremely aware of my feet.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Ok so on that note if I am waiting for our turn and feed Hank away from the ring then zip the bag and put it in my pocket we will be fine even if Hank sees me put it in my pocket (away from the ring)?

Just trying to clarify. I'm thinking this may be a good intermediate between me having food in class and practice vs nothing in USDAA/AKC trials.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
We have a NADAC trail this weekend. Our first trial in a year! I'm running Denali and also a friend's Havanese. It's sooooooo different running a small dog. Really have to my hands lower for certain things, and be extremely aware of my feet.
We're trialing this weekend, too! There should be all kinds of fun post-trial posting going on here!

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Ok so on that note if I am waiting for our turn and feed Hank away from the ring then zip the bag and put it in my pocket we will be fine even if Hank sees me put it in my pocket (away from the ring)?

Just trying to clarify. I'm thinking this may be a good intermediate between me having food in class and practice vs nothing in USDAA/AKC trials.
Yep. If you're 10 feet away from the ring feeding him and he sees you putting it in your pocket you are fine. I am usually feeding Kylie for silly tricks just outside the 10 feet (it's typically marked) while we're waiting, then shove her bottle in my pocket and go. You just have to make sure to get him the 10 feet away from the ring after the run to feed him again and not do anything dumb like pat your pocket pointedly and say 'COOOOKIES. I HAVE COOKIES' or such nonsense. (And since I know he's a tugger, you can't do tug into or out of the ring either).

It actually is a pretty good intermediate step, because seriously? The dogs KNOW the food is there.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Yeah once I heard that I was like 'I'M IN!!!' lol

He will totally know I have the food. I can even have his toy if it's in a bag?

At the drop in I would show him his toy before the run then put it away. I'm TRYING to wean him off of the toy a bit because his focus is 10 million times better with the toy in sight at least at the beginning. But it's going to take some steps.

I'm thinking the NADAC trial might be great. We have a UKC show n go in October and TDAA next weekend. I may try TDAA tunnelers with Hank just to get ring experience.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Yeah once I heard that I was like 'I'M IN!!!' lol

He will totally know I have the food. I can even have his toy if it's in a bag?

At the drop in I would show him his toy before the run then put it away. I'm TRYING to wean him off of the toy a bit because his focus is 10 million times better with the toy in sight at least at the beginning. But it's going to take some steps.

I'm thinking the NADAC trial might be great. We have a UKC show n go in October and TDAA next weekend. I may try TDAA tunnelers with Hank just to get ring experience.
You can definitely have a toy if it's in a bag and you can do something to make it invisible while you run with him (like if it's a ball in a baggie in a pocket or whatever), but it can't be in like a bait bag or something. (Wear cargo pants/shorts - tons of spaces to hide things).

It's a really neat thing, I think. Some people hate the no tugging within 10 feet of the ring because it makes the dog wait for their reward and it *does* get confusing if you do it tons at other venues, but for me the trade off of being able to shove the treat/toy in my pocket works out. Not sure how I'd feel about it if I switched up venues. In a way I guess it's sort of a cheat, but NGL? I like it. And it IS good training in the way you're using it, too.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Speaking of tugging and such...

Am I a horrible person to make Hank use the hot pink and purple tug leash?

It was a gift but too big for papillons.

I am kind of excited about NADAC now! We have some work to do. We've been off of classes for 3 weeks. Start back up next monday!

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
I'm going to post this to the training goals thread to, and I do have some better pictures I"ll stick in Molly's thread, but y'all.

Look at the background that Molly's running in front of.

As in: Look at the other people, and the other dogs. I think I might cry.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Had a really good time at the trial last weekend. Had lots of classes with my three dogs. Took me a few classes to get used to running Lucy as she is quite different than Remmy who I am used to but we did get two Q's, one in Starter Standard and a first and one in Starter Snooker, and she was second. My sisters Rat Terrier Q'd in the same two classes. Kris, my Dobe, did alright but sure different than running a small dog. Didn't help that I called her Lucy a couple of times.

Won't have any more trials this year except maybe in November so lots of time to put more training in on Kris. I am going to retire Remmy, he just is not the same dog that I ran before, I think the seizures had something to do with it, he just was not the happy dog he usually is. He has competed so well for me and had his Masters in Standard and was just two Snookers short of getting the Masters in Games. He is only 8 this year but acts older.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Ok.. entering first CPE trial. I am running only standard and jackpot this time around. Does anyone have any Jackpot tips? It will only be level one, but I've only ever played the game in class once. I read the rules but if anyone has a good "how to" video that would be great. I'm not really worried about the jackpot part itself, as Kairi has pretty good distance usually.. but I'm REALLY bad at making up my own course. Haaaa.
Jackpot....depends on if it's a traditional or non traditional course! Practice sends to the table, lots of judges like to end a traditional jackpot with the table. Figure out on average how many obstacles you and your dog can take in 30 seconds and that will help you when figuring out your opening. I usually walk a shorter path and a longer path and also figure out where I want to kind of "hang out" if I'm waiting for the buzzer in a traditional jackpot (ie find a small circle of obstacles near where I want to start my gamble). If it ends up a non traditional jackpot....just go with it lol. Don't let all the people's questions freak you out, if you don't understand something, ask the judge. I personally have found many of the non traditional jackpot courses I have done to be easier than the traditional ones, but some people hate them because they can be confusing. Who is your judge? Oh and have fun! And have your rule book with you! I've been trialing in CPE for like 2 years now and I still have to look at my rule book like every trialto remember something.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Re: New "agility classes" thread

Sorry the lure coursing didn't go as planned. I don't think Nova would have done any better...last night, Nova jumped a bit at the sound of her own fart!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
My little white cocker is deathly afraid of farts, especially her own but if you fart near her she will run away from you too. LOL!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Jackpot....depends on if it's a traditional or non traditional course! Practice sends to the table, lots of judges like to end a traditional jackpot with the table. Figure out on average how many obstacles you and your dog can take in 30 seconds and that will help you when figuring out your opening. I usually walk a shorter path and a longer path and also figure out where I want to kind of "hang out" if I'm waiting for the buzzer in a traditional jackpot (ie find a small circle of obstacles near where I want to start my gamble). If it ends up a non traditional jackpot....just go with it lol. Don't let all the people's questions freak you out, if you don't understand something, ask the judge. I personally have found many of the non traditional jackpot courses I have done to be easier than the traditional ones, but some people hate them because they can be confusing. Who is your judge? Oh and have fun! And have your rule book with you! I've been trialing in CPE for like 2 years now and I still have to look at my rule book like every trialto remember something.
Thank you, I will work on those things! I have a private lesson coming up at the end of Sept, so that will really help too. I will definitely be taking my rule book as I did to my practice trial. It helps it is the same place. I have no idea who judges are. :p

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
I keep wanting to say I'm imagining Molly having issues with BCs, but every time she had any issue in class at all, it was in response to the other BC. She doesn't do that to all BCs, but I have no clue what specifically is setting her off with the ones that do. I can't really observe the other dog - I'm too busy keeping my eyes on Molly.

In other news, agility class was an agility class and Molly was good. She broke a stay at the start line by standing up and half turning toward where the other dogs but she didn't do more than that and refocused on me and our exercise immediately, so I'm calling that a win (though it scared the heck out of the training assistant in the class). Felt pretty nice to hear the instructor giving instructions to the reactive chi, too, if only because it affirms that my instructor really *does* think I handle Molly well.

Agility wise, Molly really did do well. I don't trust her well enough to a blind cross (I think I'd lose her) but we've gained some control over the past couple of weeks. It isn't translating overly well to practices and I'm sure trials would be a disaster right now, but we're getting there. And, hey, she got her switch about 900% better than Kylie does, so there's that.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I was shocked that Lincoln really didnt care about the other dogs at all! I mean sure he went up to see them but as soon as I called him away to work he was like "okay!" and forgot all about them! I am shocked at how focused he is, especially for as young as he is!

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
I am actually going to miss club practice and Molly's class next week. That doesn't upset me nearly as much as it might, since the following week I'm going to have at least a Show 'n Go on Sunday, practice on Monday, and class on Tuesday. May or may not have Kylie's lesson on Saturday, but honestly I think I'm going to give her (and me) that day off.

Trial is this weekend. I am absolutely not even remotely nervous. That may not bode well for doing well, but I can't say I'm sorry. It's kind of nice to be laid back about it. I am excited about the trial photographer and getting some good action shots of Kylie. Am NOT excited about it raining all weekend, but that's what tents and trench coats are for (and I'd STILL rather do the rain than the indoor venue that is 8" of sand that gets _everywhere_.)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I am actually going to miss club practice and Molly's class next week. That doesn't upset me nearly as much as it might, since the following week I'm going to have at least a Show 'n Go on Sunday, practice on Monday, and class on Tuesday. May or may not have Kylie's lesson on Saturday, but honestly I think I'm going to give her (and me) that day off.

Trial is this weekend. I am absolutely not even remotely nervous. That may not bode well for doing well, but I can't say I'm sorry. It's kind of nice to be laid back about it. I am excited about the trial photographer and getting some good action shots of Kylie. Am NOT excited about it raining all weekend, but that's what tents and trench coats are for (and I'd STILL rather do the rain than the indoor venue that is 8" of sand that gets _everywhere_.)
I have a trial the weekend after this weekend and will have had no agility classes for two weeks! No class in town yet as the fair is just gotten over (we rent a fair building) and we are no negotiating the rental fee which has gone up and some weird additions added. Cannot get to the class out of town either. Been working too much to get outside. Hopefully we will do ok.

I must say I do like being inside vs outside but we have rubber mats, no sand!

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
I have a trial the weekend after this weekend and will have had no agility classes for two weeks! No class in town yet as the fair is just gotten over (we rent a fair building) and we are no negotiating the rental fee which has gone up and some weird additions added. Cannot get to the class out of town either. Been working too much to get outside. Hopefully we will do ok.

I must say I do like being inside vs outside but we have rubber mats, no sand!
Let me tell you. Our indoor arena for January? It's a livestock arena. You think outside has distractions. There are literal horses EVERYWHERE and I can only imagine what it smells like to a dog and every time we've been there (we've been doing show 'n goes there) the horses are outside. Then again, our practice field has horses outside it, too, so maybe that's becoming less of an issue. But mostly, it's the sand. Like comes in over your shoes, tracks up into bags, clings to everything. There are bleachers, which is nice and the roof is great.

It's just so, so, gross.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Let me tell you. Our indoor arena for January? It's a livestock arena. You think outside has distractions. There are literal horses EVERYWHERE and I can only imagine what it smells like to a dog and every time we've been there (we've been doing show 'n goes there) the horses are outside. Then again, our practice field has horses outside it, too, so maybe that's becoming less of an issue. But mostly, it's the sand. Like comes in over your shoes, tracks up into bags, clings to everything. There are bleachers, which is nice and the roof is great.

It's just so, so, gross.
I can't quite imagine that. My daughter thinks our trial building is gross cause it is full of dog hair and smells like dog....hmmmm wonder why? LOL! I am thankful for a nice place to trial at. There is one about two+ hours from here that is really nice, never been there but have seen pics. Great lighting too.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I hate the dirt arena that we train on for agility. It's a horse arena (though the horses are long gone) and that dirt gets all over everything. Watson gets it packed into his paws, and then if it's wet outside it turns into mud and he tracks it all over the house. He can be making muddy footprints an hour after we get home. We tried filling up the tub part way, but you have to carry him all the way upstairs and he fights it. And if you don't get it all out he still makes muddy footrprints. I'd much rather train on grass, regular outdoor dirt, or mats.

3361 - 3380 of 5373 Posts