Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a one year old German shepherd Rottweiler mix who has just recently shown some changes in his behavior. Before we moved he was a friendly dog and he didn't have any issue with other people or dogs coming into our home. Well we suddenly had to move and I'm living back at home with my parents and their 4 other dogs which he has been around before with no issues. Well ever since one of my parents dogs started a fight with him (probably about 4 times she has started it with barking and growling and teeth showing) a few months ago he behavior has changed. He has become a bit more aggressive with new toys and treats and has started two fights where he bit two of my parents dogs (the one that started the fight before and the one that looks just like her) over a toy. This is very unusual behavior for him. I thought things might have been getting better because there has been anymore fights between them but just recently he has nipped at one of my brothers friend and actually bit another one (both times while I was not home) Now since I wasn't home when these happened so I don't know why or how these happened. I know that he's always nervous when my brothers friends come over and I don't know if thats what caused it. He is very protective and he does get anxious when I'm not around. I don't know where this behavior has come from and I'm not sure what to do. I don't want him to have be in a cage all day while I'm not there but I don't need him hurting my brothers friends. Any advice would be helpful. I. have contacted a trainer and waiting to hear back but I just thought I'd get some opinions.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
He is maturing into himself and does not sound like he is the most genetically confident or stable dog. One top of that he has suddenly been tossed into a mix of 4 other dogs who already had a pecking order and this upsets their social system.

Five dogs as a "pack" is a LOT of dogs to handle and manage. This behavior sounds very dog normal for the situation. He sounds defensive (nervous when you are not around but you do not see it so all you have is a description and interpretation from others).

Manage the dog. When friends come over he should be crated. Honestly? When you are not there I would have this dog crated in a place that has little traffic and none of the other 4 dogs (like in your room or the basement).

He has nipped someone. If he bites someone he becomes an instant liability. If you do not euthanize him (after he bites someone.. and he is on the way to doing just that) your parents could lose their home owners insurance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
He is maturing into himself and does not sound like he is the most genetically confident or stable dog. One top of that he has suddenly been tossed into a mix of 4 other dogs who already had a pecking order and this upsets their social system.

Five dogs as a "pack" is a LOT of dogs to handle and manage. This behavior sounds very dog normal for the situation. He sounds defensive (nervous when you are not around but you do not see it so all you have is a description and interpretation from others).

Manage the dog. When friends come over he should be crated. Honestly? When you are not there I would have this dog crated in a place that has little traffic and none of the other 4 dogs (like in your room or the basement).

He has nipped someone. If he bites someone he becomes an instant liability. If you do not euthanize him (after he bites someone.. and he is on the way to doing just that) your parents could lose their home owners insurance.
Well ever since my brother told me him and his friends gave my dog a bath (something that he does not care for) without my permission and that he’s barked at a few of them I’ve asked him to put my dog away when his friends come over but sometimes he just doesn’t listen. That’s why I’m not sure if it’s something his friends have done to him that’s making him act this way or what because like I said this only happens when I’m not home. It only recently started happening so I was hoping to correct this odd behavior before something worse happens.

I will add that he actually prefers to be in my room when I’m not home. He used to be fine downstairs with all the other dogs and my parents but now every time I come home from work my parents tell me that he is in my room because he was waiting at the door and didn’t want to be around them. I don’t know why this has all of a sudden changed.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Well ever since my brother told me him and his friends gave my dog a bath (something that he does not care for) without my permission and that he’s barked at a few of them I’ve asked him to put my dog away when his friends come over but sometimes he just doesn’t listen. That’s why I’m not sure if it’s something his friends have done to him that’s making him act this way or what because like I said this only happens when I’m not home. It only recently started happening so I was hoping to correct this odd behavior before something worse happens.
Crate the dog in your room and lock your room when you are not there.
You cannot control other people.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the fights were over toys, your dog is showing resource guarding behavior towards the other dogs in the home. I would remove all toys/balls/kongs etc. in a home with 5 dogs. Trouble is bound to happen.

The bites to your brothers friends are concerning. Have you asked for details? Dogs do not bite for no reason. There are usually multiple warning signs before a dog bites. If it was over food/toys he may be resource guarding against people as well. Please tell your family to take this seriously before someone is hurt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts