Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I adopted a 2yr old female dog, 30lbs, a month ago. She came from a kennel/farmette out of state and has made huge adjustments to condo life in a short time. I don't think she was walked much, and is somewhat nervous on leash, tho already much better. She didn't pee until 48 hours after we got her, and we walked her every 2-3 hours as we didn't know she was housebroken. Hours later she looked nervous/circling and I realized she was wanted to poop. Scooped her up to run out back (tiny gravel courtyard area) and she did. Lots of praise! Continued program of walking every 3 hours. Lots of sniffing, but no potty. After another 20 hours of not going, I took her out back and she peed/pooped. Praise-praise.

My thought is she is so nervous about being on leash, so doesn't want to potty with it on. But since she will potty in tiny enclosed 'yard', I put her leash on in there to start the transition. After a few days she would potty out back with leash. I now walk her around the neighborhood or park first to see if she'll go. We have gone on 1-3 mi walks! But she waits until we get home to potty out back. Should I not offer her that option and more before the routine is truly ingrained? Should I not worry about it since she's only been here 5 weeks? She's been so easy and good and I don't want to make going potty a stress issue since she's been through a lot of upheaval. Will she eventually just decide on her own to potty on a walk? Thank you for any suggestions!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts