Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my Terrier Mix Gino from the ACCT on Monday. His owner dropped him off at the ACCT and left without any explanation on why. He's a real sweet dog he let's people pet him. I'm really happy that he isn't snappy around children like most small breeds are. I haven't heard him bark yet, he's a real laid back dog. He likes being walk and he likes to sit on my lap.
Yesterday at 5am he scared me because he was hacking, sneezing, and shaking. We took him back to the ACCT and found out he had kennel cough and they gave us antibiotics he has to take for 10 days.
He also wasn't eating from his bowl so they told us to give him wet food so he could smell it but he doesn't eat that either. We were feeding him Science Diet and that's what the ACCT was feeding him. They said he has food issues, he ate a beef jerky treat and my mom hand fed him sausage i don't want to give him human food. I also read that Science Diet wasn't the best.

Do you have any recommendations on how to get him to eat dog food from his bowl?
Is it the dog food? Could it be the ceramic bowl? Or is that he think he will get human food and refuse to eat dog food? Should I feed him somewhere that no one is around?

Thank You for your responses,
Latoya

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does he eat from your hand? I only have limited experience with my puppy (that I just got as well) and she didn't drink from her bowl. I actually had to cup the water in my hand and put it in front of her nose before she starts licking it up. I had my hand close to the bowl though. Now she drinks fine from it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He won't eat kibble out of my hand but he ate chopped hot dogs out of my hand. I just put wet food out and he won't even look at it. He does drink water out of his bowl by hisself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dog is starting to eat a little. I left him in a room by himself and he ate a little bit of wet food. I don't think he likes to eat from a bowl so i but it on a foam plate. Maybe it's he has a fear of bowls. I'm glad he finally ate, i just got to take baby steps with him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's eating the wet food, he's not eating the dry food. The shelter was giving him Science Diet and he turns away from it. Maybe I need to change the dry to something else but I don't know what kind is best for him. So I will try out some other dry food.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Congrats on the new addition!

A healthy dog won't starve itself. The general protocol for feeding a dog who is being picky is to use the "tough love" method. Some human food is ok for treats (hot dog pieces, meats that are not heavily seasoned, apples, green beans, etc.) but not ok for full on meals.

I agree that Science Diet isn't a great food. I would find a new food to switch him to. This website has some good suggestions and explains why the foods are rated the way they are (dogfoodadvisor.com). A five star food is considered the best on this website. I usually shoot for the 4-5 star range. Some, like Taste of the Wild, isn't all that expensive.

Tough love:
Fill the dog's bowl with the food he gets for that meal. Set it down and walk away. Come back in 20 minutes and if he hasn't touched it or is not currently eating it, pick it up and put it away. When his next meal time comes you repeat. Set it down and walk away. Don't add stuff, don't encourage him. He should eat when there is food or he doesn't get fed. After a day or two he should start eating from his bowl. Don't worry either, a healthy dog will not starve itself if food is being offered.

Personally, I would switch to a better food. You mix a couple kibbles of the new food with the Science Diet and offer it to him. Then, over time, gradually add more of the new kibble until he is eating just the new kibble. Doing it this way helps prevent stomach upset. A lot of better foods are more rich though, so you might need to cut the amount of food he eats if you switch to a better food.

Until he eats from his bowl I wouldn't add anything to it that you don't plan on adding for every meal. Once you start down that path the dog learns that the longer he holds out the better things he gets. So for a day or two use the tough love method and don't feed him other treats and he should start to eat from his bowl.

Edit: I thought it was in your original post but I don't see it now, how old is he? You don't really want to do this with a young puppy. A young puppy not eating for a day or two is a little different than an adult not eating for a day to two.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Our corgi is currently a picky eater. I personally think it's the food they used at the store. Our Dachshund is on Blue Buffalo Puppy and she LOVES to get kibble pieces of that. Our vet recommended adding fat free beef broth to the kibble and it worked with the Dachshund and has worked for the Corgi. Now we are just adding some of the Blue Buffalo kibble to hers and she eats most of what is given.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Our vet recommended adding fat free beef broth to the kibble and it worked with the Dachshund and has worked for the Corgi.
The only thing I would be concerned with is the salt content in broth. I don't know what kind you get, but the salt content in broth can be really high so you might want to dilute it if you choose to use this method. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The only thing I would be concerned with is the salt content in broth. I don't know what kind you get, but the salt content in broth can be really high so you might want to dilute it if you choose to use this method. Just my opinion though.
I agree, we already had the broth and it was lower in sodium. I used a very little amount just to get the aroma of it.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
1. Stick with Science Diet until he has been with you a couple of weeks. He may be a little anxious and tentative, because he's moved around. Plus he has kennel cough, which is like a cold, so he's a little off his game. Note, his personality may change - much more energetic, when he is healthy and used to you.
2. If you don't have broth, you can try ketchup :) Warm a cup of water and stir in a tablespoon of ketchup. Then, place a tablespoon or two of that warm liquid on his food.
3. After he's healthy and eating OK, you can gradually switch to a better food. The standard recommendation is to read the first five ingredients, looking for a type of meat, meat meal (like chicken meal), vegetable, rice. You don't want corn, wheat, soy, byproduct, or digest. I don't believe that these things will injure the dog, but he'll have a longer life without them... Not really semantics.... It's like eating sugar or high fructose corn syrup... A little won't hurt you, but it seems that you live longer, if you eliminate them.
4. I like Costco Kirkland, Purina Pro Beyond, and Purina Pro for nutrition vs. cost - in that order... But then, I also eat sugar. :)
5. When you're ready to switch foods, let us know and we'll have better suggestions...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Edit: I thought it was in your original post but I don't see it now, how old is he? You don't really want to do this with a young puppy. A young puppy not eating for a day or two is a little different than an adult not eating for a day to two.
He's 2. He's starting to eat the wet food but turns away from the dry. I also think he will only eat when no one's around because yesterday i left him alone and he ate some of the food and he wouldn't eat the first couple because every one was watching him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts