Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we adopted a 2 year old spaniel mix. He's been jumpy and its fairly obvious his last home was less than kind to him.

Today my daugther walked by him. He was sleeping and she either stepped on his paw or startled him. He jumped up growling and barking at bit her on the foot. Fortuantely she was wearing a shoe and wasnt injured.

We've had the dog for 5 days. I know the dog is still adjusting. I'm just really worried. My wife and I are also at work during the day and a babysitter watches our kids. I'm just worried about getting a phone call at work that one of our kids was bit by this dog. The animal shelter said we could return him if we thought he would hurt our kids. I just dont know what to do.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Tell your kids to leave the dog alone.

If it was an accident a lot of dogs snap from things like that.

Just make sure your baby sitter doesn't let the kids bug the dog or leave them alone together.

A lot of dogs don't like people/children in their face, or hugs around the neck, not every dog will tolerate it, and it's not fare to put them through it, if some little kid ran up to you and got in your face you wouldn't like it.

So make sure the kids give the dog space.

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
Give the dog a crate with his bed in it. Instruct the children and the sitter that NO ONE bothers the dog when he is in his crate. You don't even have to put a door on it if you don't want to but hopefully he'll learn quickly to sleep there and, when he does, no one will bother him. Give him treats in there, encourage him to use it, etc.

Almost all dogs will snap if they're badly startled, especially in a new environment. It's instinct. Don't you jump if you're startled? Same thing.

I wouldn't blame the dog for this at all. I had a dog when my kids were very young and they were constantly monitored around the dog AND the dog had his crate to go to for a nap. They were NEVER allowed to even TOUCH the dog if he was in his crate. That was his "quiet place", even if his head was hung out the door on the floor while he was napping! :D

Give this dog a chance but keep him AND the kids safe from each other until he is completely comfortable in his new home.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
How old are the children?
Have they been taught doggy manners yet?

Give the pup a chance, but if it escalates at all...you can't risk the kid's saftey.
I think though that MinPin is right, and the dog was just startled.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Biting is a normal dog behavior. Many people think that a dog that would ever bite a person is 'defective' or in some way... but ALL dogs will bite if pushed too far -- only each dog has it's own 'limit' of what they will tolerate until they do. The concept that 'My dog bit someone once... that means it will now always be dangerous!' is false.

Calm, confident, socialized dogs have a much higher tolerance limit than a scared, new, abused dog. Through training and by respecting your dog's limits and not expecting it to tolerate more than it can bear, you can control and improve this issue. Observe your dog, learn about dog body language, and find out what things make him uncomfortable or touchy. Going to a trainer would also be a good way to build his confidence and to bond with him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading the posts we had a family meeting and decided that we will be keeping the dog. We went out and bought a nice new kennel for the dog. We made it a family affair and took the dog as well. We let him pick out a few new toys and we all had a great time.

So today begins day one of crate training : )

·
Registered
45 Posts
After reading the posts we had a family meeting and decided that we will be keeping the dog. We went out and bought a nice new kennel for the dog. We made it a family affair and took the dog as well. We let him pick out a few new toys and we all had a great time.

So today begins day one of crate training : )
Good luck! Hope it goes well. I personally dont think I could adopt a dog that was a adult because I do have small kids and you dont know if they ever been raised with them, how they might react, etc. Startling a dog could make him bark or growl, but biting, i dont know. If my kid was small I would be nervous with that. Keep a eye on him and if he continues to do that, I would take him back. You cant risk the chance of anything happening to your kids when your there or not there. Hopefully he will adjust and come around and get use to everyone. Just watch him when he's around the kids. And make sure the kids know how to treat him and what to do and not to do. good luck.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Actually, even if a dog is raised around children doesn't mean they are going to let kids hang all over them, or not react when stepped on..It's not fare for the dog if you let children hang all over them, even if they can tolerate it.

Every dog has its limits.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Actually, even if a dog is raised around children doesn't mean they are going to let kids hang all over them, or not react when stepped on..It's not fare for the dog if you let children hang all over them, even if they can tolerate it.

Every dog has its limits.
Who said his kids or mine get to HANG all over the dogs??? Not me, didnt read the end of my part where i said something like make sure the kids know how to treat the dogs. Yeah, im sure a dog will react by barking or growling when stepped on, i have two big dogs that got in my way sometimes and i on accident step on thier paws, they let out a bark or growl. I understand that. My kids do not hang all over any dogs other than giving them hugs. I dont trust every dog out there, even if its my own(to a extent), you dont bug a dog all the time. But I was telling him to keep a eye on the dog, cause its a strange dog he doesnt know and he has kids around.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Some dogs are aggressive and cannot be changed, and those dogs are better off returned to the shelter.

This dog is new to your house, still adjusting, probably afraid, and on top of that it was ASLEEP at the time it was probably stepped on. There's a lot going on in that dog mind and it was probably disoriented too because of the strange surroundings and it being asleep at the time.

This one incident is not nearly enough to even think about classifying the dog as dangerous and as a "biter", in fact even though it "bit" that could mean anything..even just a warning "mouthing" on her shoe, you don't even know how much pressure was applied, if it was a real bite or just a sort of "warning" from the dog who probably felt defensive at the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts