Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't said a danged thing here, because I was trying to make a decision about it, (because, hi, Kylie wasn't planned and is young, we can only have three dogs - and this makes three- and because I was still trying to decide if I was holding out for that springer next year) and then because I wasn't entirely sure it wasn't going to fall through.

But, since I'm posting here, it obviously didn't fall through.

Meet Bug - name subject to change. She's a four year old Boston. She is also deaf as a post, and has the manners of a teenaged mountain gorilla, because she's lived her whole life outside. (Deaf. Small dog. Outside. WTF).

Cute as can be, though. (And yes. Her nails are BRUTAL).

Gets on well with Kylie.

Jack's just relieved Kylie's got someone's face to chew on, besides his.

Dignified? No - but plays a HECK of a game of tug.

And that completes our dog family, for the next (I hope) 10 years.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Awe another deafie!!! She's gorgeous! If you need any advice re: training a deaf dog, let me know, I'll help you out :) and point you to a ton of info :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Who keeps a tiny deaf dog outside?! Good on you for adopting him. He looks like a good dog.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Who keeps a tiny deaf dog outside?! Good on you for adopting him. He looks like a good dog.
The person that Mouse was rescued from kept her outside in a Spokane winter with (and I quote directly) "a nice bed of straw to sleep on" Thank goodness Mouse was rescued at 4 months!!! (born the end of December, never been indoors until she was rescued) People are really, REALLY stupid sometimes!!! Mouse is an 8lb shorthaired deaf and mostly blind mini Dachshund....

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Older folks who live in on a farm and believe that the only danger is traffic, and that running with the other dogs was enough to keep her safe. To give them credit where it is due, and it's not a lot, they spayed her, kept on top of her vaccination and really DID love the dog and did actually ask for things like vet references and confirm that we had a fenced yard. In an extremely backward, back woods, kind of way. ...that's also about all I can say, though, because seriously: tiny dog. outside. on a farm. WITH OTHER DOGS , LIVESTOCK and farm equipment. I'm. Kinda boggled by the lack of sense, there, honestly. It's not even education. It's "...what were you *thinking*?"

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awe another deafie!!! She's gorgeous! If you need any advice re: training a deaf dog, let me know, I'll help you out :) and point you to a ton of info :)
I am going to need it, I am sure. Right now we're firmly in the land of "go to the bathroom outside and dear GOD with the jumping and mouthing' which is pretty basic and my biggest hurdle is remembering she can't hear me when I want her attention. I've been doing a lot of reading, but a lot of reading is totally, totally not the same thing.

Also... blind/deaf doxie. In Spokane. WTF. *facepalms*

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats on the new addition.
She's a cutie! Glad she's in a better place now. She'll thrive with your guidance.
aww, she's cute! Welcome Bug!
Thanks guys! She is DEFINITELY adorable. She's also very, very, very, OMG VERY, sweet. Scared to DEATH of the cats, but otherwise just a fantastic little dog. HUGE desire to please and super food motivated, which - will go a long way in making things easier for us both while we figure out wtf we're doing, here.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks guys! She is DEFINITELY adorable. She's also very, very, very, OMG VERY, sweet. Scared to DEATH of the cats, but otherwise just a fantastic little dog. HUGE desire to please and super food motivated, which - will go a long way in making things easier for us both while we figure out wtf we're doing, here.
That is such a good thing for a deafie, you have no idea!!! it's almost ridiculously easy to train a food motivated deafie!!!

·
Banned
96 Posts
Oh my goodness, she is soooo cute! A purebred Boston terrier is on my someday wish list!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is such a good thing for a deafie, you have no idea!!! it's almost ridiculously easy to train a food motivated deafie!!!
That video is FANTASTIC. Right now we're working on getting her to come to a hand gesture - which, unsurprisingly- is going FAST. Because food is good!

Today's been better. She's WAAAAY less keyed up than she was yesterday, which has done good things for MY anxiety level.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh my goodness, she is soooo cute! A purebred Boston terrier is on my someday wish list!
I really, really am liking this dog. She is cute and sweet and attentive and honestly? Reminds me a lot more of the bulldog part of the heritage than the terrier side. She is a little dog, but MAN she is strong (and loving and licky and will turn herself inside out to get food/approval. And is actually so overjoyed by being pet that it's almost a problem). REALLY awesome little dog. To go with the other two awesome little dogs :p

·
Banned
96 Posts
I really, really am liking this dog. She is cute and sweet and attentive and honestly? Reminds me a lot more of the bulldog part of the heritage than the terrier side. She is a little dog, but MAN she is strong (and loving and licky and will turn herself inside out to get food/approval. And is actually so overjoyed by being pet that it's almost a problem). REALLY awesome little dog. To go with the other two awesome little dogs :p
My girl shares a lot of the characteristics you describe... I've known a few Boston terriers and I just LOVE them. Our next dog is between a Boston terrier or a Whippet... haven't completely decided yet but a friend of my husbands can hook us up with a wonderful Boston terrier rescue so we might go that avenue.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I think things are going to be juuuust fine. (And I promise not to spam this thread, but - Her calming down with Jack is a good sign. Jack is SO not a wrestler.)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Awwwe .... congratulations! Good for you! Good for her!

Three is a magic number .... at least in my household. :D She is as cute as a button too! Changing her name will most likely have no effect on her given her hearing loss.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awwwe .... congratulations! Good for you! Good for her!

Three is a magic number .... at least in my household. :D She is as cute as a button too! Changing her name will most likely have no effect on her given her hearing loss.
Three is definitely our magic number, too. It's just about what we can handle, without being overwhelmed. I think we're not overwhelmed, anyway. Give me another week to confirm that. ;-)

And yeah, she answers to a 'come here' gesture (folding your fingers in toward yourself). As long as we know who we're talking about, we're pretty good.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
You can bet the other two will catch on to the finger folding gesture. Lol! .... if they don't already know it. I always use hand signals with my command words. My dogs do the same thing with the folding gesture of my fingers. Might come in handy if my dogs ever grow old and deaf. :)

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can bet the other two will catch on to the finger folding gesture. Lol! .... if they don't already know it. I always use hand signals with my command words. My dogs do the same thing with the folding gesture of my fingers. Might come in handy if my dogs ever grow old and deaf. :)
Jack already does hand signals - came that way from the breeder - for come and stay. Mind you he's... kind of broad about it. Stay is really, really clear since it's just a flat hand in front of you. The 'come' thing, if it looks like it might mean 'come here' - he is THERE. Kylie picking them up was kind of accidental, since I was luring with her and um. The gesture kinda clicked in for 'sit and down' LONG before the word. I need to modify those, though, because they look DUMB. Even a couple of days , though, and it's such a clear, clear demonstration of how much dogs WATCH people. She's more intense about it, but it's making me notice it in the hearing dogs, too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts