Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

He's a two year old intact male who was let go by a breeder for not producing puppies though he tried. He is a red sable and was named Rudy, but I'm going to call him Pekoe after my favorite tea! So far he has fit into the household with no problems except for a bit of bed guarding last night. But I dislodged him and let him know that we all share beds here! He has no training to speak of so its going to be starting from scratch, though his house training seems good. No accidents so far or even marking.

He doesn't have as much coat as Sybbie but who does? Lol

And he's even comfortable with Maple who is young and big but they were introduced very carefully and I think that made a big difference. After going to the breeder we picked up Maple from day care and let them meet on the street in front, on leash, with Maple still and Pekoe allowed to approach in his own time. It was beautiful.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Awwwwww.

You know, I got to say, I'm not sure what's up with breeders who end up rehoming dogs that are not trained one bit... you'd think they would at least try and train their dog?

Anyway, he's adorable.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Pretty boy.

Awwwwww.

You know, I got to say, I'm not sure what's up with breeders who end up rehoming dogs that are not trained one bit... you'd think they would at least try and train their dog?

Anyway, he's adorable.
You'd think a retired show dog would at least know how to walk on a leash...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I saw your Instagram post - he’s a cutie! I’ve always liked poms, and seeing yours almost makes me want to get one. :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw your Instagram post - he’s a cutie! I’ve always liked poms, and seeing yours almost makes me want to get one. :)
Omg! I never made the connection that you were the Instagram Atlas! How cool!

Last night we had a bit of an incident. Pekoe was on the couch and Maple approached. I saw trouble coming and put out my arm instinctively and Pekoe bit me but he meant to bite Maple. Both Poms seem to have couch issues with Maple. On the floor they are fine. No one should be allowed on the couch anymore.

During the night, Pekoe escaped from his playpen but there were no issues. I bought him a crate today.

I had him to the vet yesterday and the bloodwork came back with slightly elevated liver enzymes and slight anemia. He is quite underweight and stressed so I'm hoping that will resolve. The vet said no need to do anything but monitor it now. The vet also said that his puppy vaccines were not done on the right schedule according to the records given to me by the breeder so we have to do them all again.

Today he has been having some separation anxiety though I never left him more than 1.5 hrs. Sybbie went through that too when she first arrived but it passed with security so I'm not panicking about it yet. He has been eating well and has started to come to me for love.

I'm noticing how helpful Maple has been. She gets barked at and she just walks calmly and confidently through the ruckus to do whatever she needs to do. It only really happens when she comes home from day care or a walk (my partner walks her and I walk the Poms) but it is like it doesn't bother her one bit. Probably since Sybbie has been barking at her without ever being physical since she was a pup. She doesn't see pom barking as a threat.

Dog on dog, today has been a good day. With a little management, we Havnt had any threatening behavior. They even all slept together!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One other concern: he doesn't like any treat I've offered him so far and doesn't play with toys. How do you train such a dog??? I bought some salmon PureBites today because I Havnt tried a fish based treat yet but I Havnt tested it yet. Could be he's still just nervous. I won't try cheese until he is done transitioning off the breeder's food. It's just easier if he eats the same thing as Sybbie.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Listening to a thunderstorm.

Peace.

·
Registered
17,925 Posts
Congrats! Cute, cute, and more cute <3

One other concern: he doesn't like any treat I've offered him so far and doesn't play with toys. How do you train such a dog??? I bought some salmon PureBites today because I Havnt tried a fish based treat yet but I Havnt tested it yet. Could be he's still just nervous. I won't try cheese until he is done transitioning off the breeder's food. It's just easier if he eats the same thing as Sybbie.
I wouldn't worry too much, yet. Odds are he's still settling and a lot of times they kinda go off their food for a bit when they do, at least as far as treats go.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats! Cute, cute, and more cute <3

I wouldn't worry too much, yet. Odds are he's still settling and a lot of times they kinda go off their food for a bit when they do, at least as far as treats go.
Yes I'm hoping the same.

I'm getting nervous though. Pekoe snapped at Maple again, this time on the floor. She had been playing like a crazy animal with her toys for a while and he was nervous. I said she was unflappable but the look she gave him was unnerving. He is 4 lbs and she is 60 lbs. I have anxiety issues and I just foresee a disaster. I don't know how careful to be. When they are fine they are really fine but then suddenly...

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
He is adorable and goes so well with Sybbie!

I'd time the play sessions and then separate them. If you see any nerves then separate noting what was going on at the time. If Maple is having a great time playing maybe the little ones need to be put up they don't get run over. Ideally you'll see some tension and interrupt before anything happens.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I have figured out the snapping. Both times, he was near or on me and Maple was being hyper. So I'm teaching him that when he is scared of her to go to his crate. Last night when she was playing, he would jump up on me and I would give him a bit of love then put him in his crate. This happened a few times. I left the crate door open. Then he started going in his crate on his own when the situation seemed hairy.

Seems he is taking his cues from Sybbie which is good and bad. She barks ALOT. Difference is, when I tell them to stop, Pekoe listens! He still has not found something he will train for motivation wise, but he is trainable anyway I can see that.

Yesterday I took him for his first walk on a busy city street. This time, taking a cues from Sybbie was a good thing. She trotted along happily. He wanted to stop and listen and assess every time something happened (a bike, a suitcase on wheels, an automatic door on a store) so I let him. We went about 3 small blocks, then sat in a square (a cement area with a fountain and benches) and then went home. He had yet to lift his leg at home but he lifted it on the walk which makes sense.

It felt good to walk two dogs at once again. Havnt done that since Hope and Pippin were mobile around 2013! I was worried but now I'm happy again. With a little management, we can get this household running smoothly

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Getting more peaceful after only a week. I think Pekoe knows now that when Maple is playing with her toys he just needs to stay out of the way and he will be fine. He has already adjusted to Sybbie Food (Petcurean Go!) and so I tried a little cheese for training yesterday and he was all into that! I started a Touch and a Sit and he was very quick to learn. Believe it or not I wasn't sure even about cheese cuz when I tried to give him his heart worm pill, he wouldn't take peanut butter and I had to pill him by force. I'm still hand feeding him as it is. He doesn't eat but the vet said he's looking good except for those two questionable numbers in his bloodwork which could be from not eating. In every other way he seems happy and healthy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts