Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site, please forgive me if this is the longest message. Last week, I acquired a 6 month old Shih Tzu from a young family who just didn't have time for him...their loss! He is suuuch a great puppy: quiet, obedient and happy.

I thought I was doing good by purchasing Nutro Puppy...he poops about 5 times a day and only eats twice...his poop is soft. I thought maybe it was from transitioning him from one food to another but I mixed half and half for about a week. I just came across some other postings by people in the same situation. I have checked out dog food analysis.com and the Candidae line looks good but is probably quite expensive considering it is only sold at a store nearby called "Spoiled". Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, I am a little preturbed about a skin problem. THe first night, after bathing him, he was biting so badly by his tail that there was a bloody wound. I bought him some itch spray from Pet Smart and it seemed to relieve his discomfort. To be safe, I brought him to the Vet Clinic at Pet Smart the following day. The vet gave him a cortisone shot, ear cleaner (said peroxyde solution wasn't good enough) and Advantage Flea stuff. The visit was about 135 dollars. Now....I am thinking that I got ripped off here. Did Scooby really need that cortisone shot in his behind because I showed the vet the spray I had just spent 20 dollars on and it seemed to be working. On top of that, it didn't make the bites go away. There is a scab about a quarter of an inch long under the fur by his tail, still, one week later. What should I do about this scab? It looks gross and crusty. I don't want to bring him back to that vet, since he didn't tell me anything! He just sold me a bunch of stuff and sent me on my way. I will not be going back to that vet clinic again...I feel like I got taken for a ride.

Any ideas for food and what this scab (probably a flea bite?) might be? And how I can treat it?

Thank

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy!

It can take awhile for things to "get back to normal" after transitioning to a new food. When I switched my dogs over to EVO, they were a little loose at first, so I added some plain, canned pumpkin, until they firmed up. I found that my puppy has loose stools on puppy food, so she gets the formula for all life stages.

Shih Tzus do tend to have skin problems, and my guy is no exception. When I got him, his skin was horrible, he stunk to high heaven, had goopy, runny eyes, and a horrible yeast and bacterial infection in both ears. His original owner had some expensive ear medication that she said just hadn't cleared the infection up, despite using it as directed by her vet. I used the Blue Power ear solution (Witch Hazel, Borac Acid Powder, and Gentian Violet Solution - see sticky on the health forum), which cleared up the infection. I continue to use it twice a month for cleansing his ears, and the infection hasn't returned. For his poor scabby, bloody skin, I used EQyss Micro-Tek Shampoo, and the leave-on Micro-Tek Spray. THAT stuff is worth it's weight in gold! Stops itching and odor, clears up fungal and bacterial infections, and helps healing without scar formation. (I use it for myself on bites, wounds - doesn't hurt an open wound, and really does heal quickly.) I switched him to EVO from the Beneful his original owner fed him, and he's been good to go ever since.

A lot of vets are quick to give the steroid shots, unfortunately. Try the Micro-Tek Shampoo and Spray. It's inexpensive, and works better than anything I've ever tried for hot spots, itching, and other skin problems. (Our astronaughts used it to decontaminate!) Visit the EQyss website for information, but, if you're going to buy it, order it from KvVet Supply online - they don't charge for shipping, but EQyss does. Sometimes you can find it retail at local Feed Stores.

On top of that, it didn't make the bites go away. There is a scab about a quarter of an inch long under the fur by his tail, still, one week later. What should I do about this scab? It looks gross and crusty.
Use the Micro-Tek Spray twice a day - should heal it up in a couple of days. It could be caused from fleas, and/or allergies (food, contact, respiratory allergies).

BTW, when I order online from KvVet Supply, I usually get the order within 3 days.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Something that may be a possibility is that the shampoo you used (especially if it had alot of fragrance) or if the shampoo was not rinsed out completely it will cause frantic scratching and chewing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.