Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a dilemma, my family just adopted a female Labrador Shar Pei mix and she is five months. We got her at the end of the day Wednesday, the shelter had also given her shots and spayed her that day. So Wednesday was a big day for her and I understood that she probably was not wanting to eat. Thanksgiving yesterday she nibbled at some of the food, but otherwise nothing except was a little turkey and cheese to get her pills down.

Now we get to today, no food what so ever, cheese won't even tempt her and she is not as peppy as she was Thanksgiving.

She won't eat, she did vomit clear liquid when I took her out to potty, and her nose is a little runny. The whole time we have had her including today she has peed and pooped, she also is drinking water, so at least all that is functioning properly. We stopped the pain medication today in case that is not helping her lack of appetite. And if it helps, when I take her out she does try eating the weeds, so it makes me think that she isn't totally oppposed to eating.

She is going to see a vet Monday. Is it possible this is still a result to transitioning to a new home and her surgery? Should I start getting overly concerned? Is there any tips or tricks to try and get her to eat? Sorry if any of this is against the rules, but I am just very concerned that our puppy starts eating and feeling better. Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If she stops drinking water then to the vet!

Fairly normal around here.

Bucky didn't eat for 3 days after adoption and he hadn't had surgery but he was getting transitioned to a raw diet so completely different type of diet. Ginger had been spayed and we weren't supposed to feed her for the first day, she ate fine the day after even though she went straight to raw. My first dog had a lot of trouble figuring out which way was up and even though she was quite the food seeker she didn't eat well for the first week or so even though she was getting the same kibble prepared the same way as the shelter fed her, she was well recovered from her spay surgery.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Take her temperature. Normal is 100.5° to 102° F. Over that and you may have an infection setting up. She was just spayed. There may be an issue with her surgery recovery. How does the surgical site look? Is it red and swollen? That can also indicate a post surgical issue.

Is she drinking water? If no water in 12 hours or if water is drunk and vomited, this is an emergency. Dehydration can quickly kill a dog.

Is she peeing and pooping? Is the pee normal pale yellow or is it dark? Dark can indicate dehydration or break down of cells and liver/kidney issues.

Your dog probably needs to see a vet sooner than later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts