Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
nox new2.jpg nox new4.jpg nox new.jpg Hello all! We recently "adopted' a rescue pup, who was found on the streets here, and by my best guess, he is a mix of Shepherd/lab/ and maybe chow? He is approx 5-6 months old, 45-50 lbs, and has lost most of his puppy teeth...the woman who actually found him, had him for about 2 weeks before we got him...he was obviously dumped where she found him...gotta love people....anyways...I have plenty of pics!

Our ONLY problem is how mouthy he is! He is an excellent listener/learner, learned "speak" in about 15 mins! He came here knowing how to "sit", the other family taught him in about a day. He follows most without more than 1-2 prompts! Like I said, wonderful!!
I have tried the methods I know- loudly saying EHT, turning around, and refusing to play with him until he's calmer...ignoring him if it even looks like he's going to be like that, giving him treats when he plays correctly, replacing my hand with his chew toy if he starts...he has gotten better with me in the last 24 hours, starts to gnaw, I make the sound, he'll stop momentarily...then he'll try to "groom" me with his front teeth...? My husband, our roommate, and our 2 kids, 11 and 5 aren't faring as well. I am pretty sure this all is from how exuberant he is, not a dominance issue...sometimes when he goes to give kisses, he "nips" with his front teeth...can describe more if needed, kind of hard to on here..lol...

Thanks to all in advance!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Mouthiness is normal for a dog that age. It takes weeks to train bite inhibition (which is what you're talking about). Pick one method and stick with it. The one recommended around here, and I've used it on an adult dog and it worked great, is to yelp like a puppy and withdraw, then redirect the dog to an appropriate chew item. If the dog persists in chewing you, leave the room for a minute or two.

He's really cute, btw! And he sounds like he'll be fun and keep you on your toes, lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Amaryllis! I will try sticking with that and see how it goes :) Other than that issue, he's awesome!! btw- do you think I"m even close in guessing breeds? lol

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
My other advice is not to let the kids interact with him with their hands - ie: don't have them pet him, have them play with a toy with them. Throw a ball, or play tug, or use a flirt pole or whatever. At least the 5 year old. It's hard for 5 year olds to ignore being gnawed on and not get excited/scared/hurt and sometimes that just ramps the dog up more and really sets back that 'don't mouth me' thing, and can lead to a dog seemingly picking on kids, when in fact it's just that they've learned that's the way to interact with small kids.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In this case, the 5 yr old I don't worry about as much as the 11 yr old...She holds her own..lol...she will be stern with him and tell him NO!! Our 11 yr old son has Aspergers and is bullied quite frequently, this is going to be a therapy pet for him...I have over 20+ yrs experience with animals, and to be honest, this is the 1st pup I"ve had these problems with lol I worked with a groomer for almost 20 yrs, vets offices....but he is our first that is this mouthy lol

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
In this case, the 5 yr old I don't worry about as much as the 11 yr old...She holds her own..lol...she will be stern with him and tell him NO!! Our 11 yr old son has Aspergers and is bullied quite frequently, this is going to be a therapy pet for him...I have over 20+ yrs experience with animals, and to be honest, this is the 1st pup I"ve had these problems with lol I worked with a groomer for almost 20 yrs, vets offices....but he is our first that is this mouthy lol
Ahhh. My 12 year old is autistic (full on). I think some of it's the mix. My other dogs weren't bad, but the shep mix? Well both they and labs are called 'landsharks' as puppies for a reason. We have BLED. A couple of months consistency and we're coming out the other side, though. Finally. Mostly. Usually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL I have mostly owned bully mixes and shepherd mixes, BMC mix....he's our first lab mix? I am really guessing here about his heritage....but looks wise, that's what I would guess? He's all black, black mouth, but not on tongue (that I've seen)...as smart as he is, I'm hoping this will only be a short time....<crossing fingers> :)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I would just say keep with it. It seems you have the general idea with making a noise, and withdrawing contact from him til he's calm. But, instead of just turning your back, it might take actually leaving the area for a couple minutes, so that he can't follow you or even see you.

How much exercise is he getting currently?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts