Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a lab mix puppy from the SPCA. He's about 4 months or a little older. From rabies date he was born around 9/24/18 since they don't get that before 12 weeks. He will go outside and walk around but won't pee. We'll put him in his kennel, and he'll pee!!! Help!!!!

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
He's probably getting distracted outside. You can do a few things to limit that, at least while he's learning that he's supposed to potty outside:

- Take him out on leash, and stand in one spot - find the most boring spot in the yard and be boring yourself. Let him have the whole length of the leash (assuming it's 5-6' and not super long flexi), and let him walk around and sniff things until he gets bored. Then wait a bit more. If he has to pee, he'll pee when he gets bored and then you can throw a party with lots of treats or playing his favourite game. Both of my puppies learned REAL fast that the sooner they peed outside, the sooner they got to chase a ball or frisbee.

- If you stand outside for 5-10 minutes and he still doesn't pee go inside. But instead of putting him in his kennel, walk inside with him, wait about 30 seconds standing inside the door and then take him outside and try again.

- Take him out to potty at consistent times and keep a schedule. Take him out on schedule, even if you don't think he will pee, just to give him the opportunity. Since he's not trained yet, it's best to take him out every 1-2 hours when someone is home. Once he gets a bit older and you know he can consistently hold it for at least 2 hours while awake, or he's starting to signal to you when he needs to go out, a usual schedule would be: first thing in the morning when he wakes up, after breakfast, right before you leave for work, at lunch time, when you get home from work, right after his dinner, and right before bed.

It's a lot of work potty training a puppy, but the way I look at it is it's easier to spend the time standing out with him now rather than having to try to re-potty train him when he's an adult because I didn't put the time in when he was a puppy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts