Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a boxer who is a yr and a half old. And a few months ago I got an American Bulldog who is now 7 months and around 80 lbs already. It seems like they are not getting along though. The boxer is small and the bulldog is a lot bigger and tends to bite her legs and other areas and shakes his head and she yelps. I constantly have to find myself separating them and it seems like I don't have control. I dont know if they'll ever be normal b calm. Any comments, questions or suggestions? Please help. Thank you!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
How often and for how long are you walking them? If you aren't walking the boxer briskly for about 45 min twice a day, start. I'd also include the bulldog on one of those walks each day. Excess energy will make them rougher when playing. Spay or neuter, to avoid accidentally breeding mutts. The boxer is of the age to go into heat and the bulldog is at the age where he can breed her. That breeding would be really irresponsible.

Teach your bulldog a "go lay down command".

·
Registered
34 Posts
As spotted nikes said, how long are you walking them and how much exercise are they getting? Overly rough play with dogs I've had around in the past were usually just overly energetic and had no outlet for their energy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah they're both fixed. That makes sense though, I've found that when I have walked "tank" (American bulldog) he has been a lot calmer. And vice versa for Bella (boxer) . I will continue to do that. My gf doesn't think she can control tank because of his size and strength and she is home a lot. But I will just have to do it when I get home from work at night. Yeah it just feels like they're going at it constantly and we are not able to just sit down and watch tv late at night. Very frustrating. I've tried numerous trainers but I don't think it's helping. Also tank seems to be starting to bark and get a little crazy when he sees another dog or human, especially when he is outside our house. Any suggestions with that?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Are they fighting or playing really rough? Exercise will calm the more playful/aggressive dog. Obedience school might work too. I haven't been able to watch TV in peace since I got my german shepherd pup....she is constantly playing and talking to one of the other dogs or chasing the cats. And she plays hard, but they all hold their own and calm down after about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try taking them to a dog park and let them play in "neutral territory" this will allow them to get to know each other and interact without worrying about defending territory. You mention that the bull dog is only 7 months and that could have a lot to do with it. When you see him using his teeth correct him right away, you might have to do it several time in a row at first but he will get the idea after a while. On the other side of that, when they play without biting reward both dogs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ "luvmyfurballs" ... It seems like they are just playing really rough. It doesn't seem like its an actual vicious fight.
@ "enderwiggen" I just get nervous if other dogs are there since they are both not trained to my liking yet. Bella listens inside but idl don't know how she would be around other dogs of they are there. Do you think once tank is older he will ease up on her? It just seems like he is too rough on her. Kind of drags her around too. I honestly don't think he is bein nasty towards her. I think she(Bella) eventually gets nasty and snaps at tank. Very frustrating. We constantly have to have tank on a leash upstairs because he is always into something or going after her so we can't really focus on a movie no matter what time of night it is. And if they are both chewing on a bone tank will come take hers and then she will go to the available one. Recently Bella couldn't take it and snapped at him. I just feel like it'll never get better and they'll never b normal together which stinks cuz I love them both too much to even talk about findin a new home for one of them. It'll never happen

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any neutral territory will work really, it doesn't have to be a dog park. is the puppy breaking skin? If not, I would just let them work thing out on their own unless they get really nasty. Its easy to tell when things move from play to real aggression. If they are just working out their own pecking order interfering might just prolong things. I would definitely exercise the puppy a lot, you can get doggy weight vests that are fantastic for exercise.

ALSO, this probably goes without saying but never never let the puppy use his teeth on you while playing, you don't want a full grown dog thinking that kind of behavior is OK :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Especially one that's going to b 120 lbs lol . I've been lookin for those weight vests. Do u know where I can get one ? Do they sell them in stores or just online?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts