Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old miniature poodle who I have started to click train this week.

My question is this:

Is it normal for him to simply jump at my hand for the treat ~ he fully understands that a click means a treat and as soon as he sees the clicker he is simply searching for the treats.

When I "lure" him into a sit I click and give him the treat and then he immediately starts jumping at my hand again.

If this is normal any ideas on how long it takes? I'm still reading tons of info. on line but am hoping for a quick answer from someone who has been successful with a puppy. All of the videos I have found on-line have very calm already trained dogs doing the demo and we're just not there yet.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Check out the stickies here on the forum. I recommend "Susan Garrett's "It's Yer Choice" Impulse Control Game." Also keep in mind that you want to fade lures quickly or they will become a part of the cue. I prefer to shape or capture behaviors, instead. For more help, I highly recommend this trainer's free videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup?blend=1&ob=4

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Perfectly normal. When I started with 'sit', my dog began following me around the house, racing in front of me to sit at my feat, trying to induce a treat. This is actually an advantage for things like leash walking, as you want them to perform a behavior without being bidden. Just stay consistent, and eventually, they figure out what to do all the time, and what to do when bidden.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just ignore the unwanted behaviors. I wouldn't completely lure a sit, this would justbe what I would do.
I'd lure a sit five times, click and treat, the pup should, if he understands the concept of the sit offer a sit.
I think he's just really excited about getting a treat, you could always toss the treat to him, or on the floor if you don't like the jumping. When he gets the cues down, you can work on eliminating the wiggling or jumping by only clicking when he's doing the behavior quietly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone...I have discovered from all of the videos that I have been watching that I must have a pretty hyperactive puppy I guess ~ all of the beginner videos are with dogs/puppies who are clearly already trained.

I am starting over with the canis training before i get frustrated with our lack of progress.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Thanks everyone...I have discovered from all of the videos that I have been watching that I must have a pretty hyperactive puppy I guess ~ all of the beginner videos are with dogs/puppies who are clearly already trained.

I am starting over with the canis training before i get frustrated with our lack of progress.
Unfortunately, most people don't make videos with completely untrained dogs. It just doesn't look good on film.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts