Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...own a brachy OR a long-haired breed. I'm dogsitting right now. The boxer is no big deal, but the little brussels griffon snores, which keeps me up at night, and I just finished brushing all kinds of dirt and leaves out of his hair, plus a bunch of dried poop stuck to his rear end. Oh, and he's not really 100% housetrained. And he likes to bark at every little thing.

I like most dogs, but you couldn't pay me to own one of these. People think border collies are high maintenance...:doh:

*end rant*

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
LOL, that wiry fur holds everything! My grandpa's Mini Schnauzer always had leaves and twigs and everything stuck in his britches, legs, and chest fur (everywhere not clipped short in a Schnauzer cut). Regular longhairs aren't quite so "sticky".

Have fun! :p

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
I got a Rough Collie when I was seven..... That dog cured me of ever having another long haired dog.....
I never had any interest in any of the Brachy breeds... They struggle in the heat and humidity down here....

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I really want a longhaired dog sometime... I've dreamed of having a fluffy thing to brush.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Lol! You should have Blu Boy! If you sneeze or look at him cross ways .. he is full of mats on a daily basis! Lol! :) This is why I keep him in a short cut.

Eddee doesn't seem to have any issues with his scruffiness. Yay!

I did however love brushing my Roughs. :)

I do agree though ... wash-n-wear is less time consuming.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I never planned on getting a brachy or a long haired breed either but I love my little critter. She's quiet, trained, friendly with every person she meets and best of all she doesn't shed. I'll never own a large, shedding dog breed again if I can help it. Vet bills/meds for large dogs cost more, they bark louder which could result in noise complaints in an apartment complex, with shedding dogs you have to vacuum all the time. I keep my dogs fur trimmed short so nothing gets stuck in it and I don't even have to brush her often that way. I bought some clippers and just clip her fur once every other month and she's good to go. In my house it's my husband that snores, sheds and makes a mess but I plan on keeping him despite it. :p

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
One golden and two borders and no issues like that at all! Kilt is a hairy thing too, but doesn't seem to have issues or mat at all. The worst was my old golden who got totally covered in burrs - she looked like a prickly coated lab, not a sign of feathering anywhere! Took several days to get them all out, hours and hours of combing, but normally she wasn't a problem either.

If it's a wire coated dog and it's shaved/cut and not plucked, then their coats are soft and collect junk. Not sure how true it is but that's what I've been told. Also with some byb dogs they don't have the right textured coat and have more issues, we've seen some cotton textured goldens that are always a mess.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Give me Aussie hair over a short coated dog any day of the week! I've never seen a long coated dog who sheds as bad as a lab or dal. And it takes minimal groomimg.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Oh, boxers snore too, believe me! I've had a couple of boxers over the years that I couldn't let sleep in my bedroom b/c they snored so loudly! The long haired dogs don't necessarily shed more, but they require more brushing to avoid mats.. The lab I used to have (RIP Chipper!) shed terribly!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
lol, last year after spening 3 hours grooming a Samoyed after having been on a hike, I told my manager that if she ever hears me speak of getting a dog with such a coat, slap me. it seriously took a HOUR just to get through the mats and burrs on that dogs FRONT LEGS!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Haha I'm right there with ya. I don't have the desire to own anything but wash and wear dogs. I don't care about lab level shedding but have no desire to have to regularly brush and/or cut a dogs coat. Light snoring I think I can get used to but a heavy snorer would have to sleep elsewhere because I'm a light sleeper myself.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
The housetraining thing has nothing to do with breed or size ;) -- but I am totally with you on the long hair thing. My papillon's okay because her fur doesn't really tangle and she very rarely gets poop stuck in it, but I could never keep up with anything with continuously growing hair, a long thick double coat, or wiry long hair. I couldn't own a brachy breed, either -- I think some of them are cute, but the noises some others make (I know not all brachy dogs wheeze and snort) drive me nuts.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
There are certain coat types that are just bad. Normal long hair is fine, like a sheltie, aussie, etc. It's fairly wash and wear. Papillon hair is amazing as it is so freaking easy to groom. No undercoat, minimal trimming. Of course some without proper coats are tough but a proper pap coat is easy as can be.

But Ada's hair? It was absolutely awful. It always felt dirty, attracted everything to it, smelled even after a bath, and always looked greasy. Even after a month of good food and lots of baths. She had that silky yorkie type hair. I have seen some brussels with a similar hair type.

I would take a short haired dog maybe but you cna't beat the snuggability of a longhaired dog. I also don't like the short sticky hairs that get shed everywhere from short haired dogs.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Bernie is a long haired GSD.
I used to hoover up tumble weeds of his coat. these days i save time and just hoover the dog.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Half the things you mentioned are just training "issues" that could be worked on. The hair thing, however... Sheesh lol I've watched a friend's 7-month golden for the weekend on 2 different occasions now, and simply dealing with the shedding of the long hair... Nope, I don't plan on having such a dog lol

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I never planned on getting a brachy or a long haired breed either but I love my little critter. She's quiet, trained, friendly with every person she meets and best of all she doesn't shed. I'll never own a large, shedding dog breed again if I can help it. Vet bills/meds for large dogs cost more, they bark louder which could result in noise complaints in an apartment complex, with shedding dogs you have to vacuum all the time. I keep my dogs fur trimmed short so nothing gets stuck in it and I don't even have to brush her often that way. I bought some clippers and just clip her fur once every other month and she's good to go. In my house it's my husband that snores, sheds and makes a mess but I plan on keeping him despite it. :p
(bold) hahaha same here :). I have a longish haired dog (josefina, who has an improper ACD coat & is really more like corgi-type hair) & everything gets into her hair, I want to clip her but fiancée said no (it's his dog :p) so I'm always brushing mats out of HER "britches" & picking burrs out of her hair.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Hello, that's why you tell the groomer to shave off the fur on his bum! and buy baby wipes.

As for double coated long hairs, eh, I just learned to accept dog hair as a condiment. And that I'd be buying a new vacuum every 6 months. Muggsy was totally worth it and Kabota is only a single coat, so when the groomer commented on kabota shedding, I was like "ha! That's not shedding, let me tell you about shedding!"

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Give me Aussie hair over a short coated dog any day of the week! I've never seen a long coated dog who sheds as bad as a lab or dal. And it takes minimal groomimg.
Agreed! Aussie coats are so nice, the dirt just falls right off them and the shedding is nothing like most of the short haired breeds i've been around! No matter how nasty and muddy Boomer gets, just give him an hour after and he'll be nice and clean. Now our little maltese and shih tzu/yorkie mix things track in so much dirt and sticks and their hair matts so easily. And our gsd/lab mix just sheds and sheds and sheds year round its ridiculous the amount of hair that comes off that dog and he just never seems as clean as my aussie.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts