Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I was bored and was flipping through channels to watch anything! I was going in between a movie and this infomercial of a dog trainer saying how he can train a dog to become the perfect pet. So it caught my attention and I watched a bit of it, but I have no idea as to who this man is.

I read some stuff on his website and not totally sure I agree with everything. I still like following Victoria Stilwell for her tips on training. But I thought has anyone here ever heard of him or his methods?

His name is Don Sullivan and here's his website: http://www.thane.com/the-perfect-dog-system/?utm_source=theperfectdog.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=&utm_campaign=perfect_dog

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
He calls himself "The Dogfather", if you want to look that up.

A prong collar by any other name is still a prong collar.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well I've never met the perfect dog let alone the perfect dog trainer. A puzzlement indeed. I do have some perfect swamp land in Florida I will sell you:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sounds like rehashed pack crap. Here are my criticisms of the "more information" page ...

1. Dogs know the difference between people and dogs and other animals. They do not see themselves in a pack with humans.

2. Dogs are not born into a rigid hierarchical system nor do they maintain a rigid hierarchy.

3. Letting the dog through a doorway first isn't going to make it "dominant"

4. Giving a dog treats isn't going to make it "dominant"

5. Lead dogs don't need to be aggressive. Dog aggression is related to fear more often than not, followed by a dog specifically being trained to be aggressive.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Basically old-style Koehler. He does a lot of lunge line work straight out of Koehler's book.
o_O khoeler recommended stuff like drowning your dog in the holes he dug and shooting him with a bb gun. I bet it did turn that shar pei mean. I'd be mean if someone did that stuff to me, too.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well looked up the "dogfather" and his methods seem pretty out there; I won't be using them. Never heard of Koehler and would have to look him up too.

wvasko--ah...can I take a rain check on that swamp land? Or even better!! I'll send it to people I don't like, muwhahaha..... :)

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well looked up the "dogfather" and his methods seem pretty out there; I won't be using them. Never heard of Koehler and would have to look him up too.
This is a book that is way out there and worth reading just to see how freaky old school stuff was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts