Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Not all Victor foods have peas
I've been rotating through 3 victor bags all of them peas in them, for years.. I called chewy beginning of this year to ask if victor changed it's formula for the sudden changes in my dogs. No one said anything about anything. and of course not getting valuable feed back except we are sorry that is happening, when changing the food I went right back into another food with not only peas but pea starch in it.. Not happy with that, and let them know it in returning the current food which they happy to take back. I did go with the victor green bag with the chocolate lab splashing in water because it adds taurine in the ingredients. Do feel victor pea ingredient is suspect not to use them. REally like the food I found at the feed store in a pinch Hi Point brand until the new food was to arrive.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm curious which victor formulas had low taurine results? Honestly what I'd like to know is what the dogs that ACTUALLY have DCM are fed (specific formulas and all), and how they store their food. I have yet to find that information anywhere, all I see is low taurine problems (which obviously is a concern too, don't get me wrong, but that doesn't mean that the dogs will develop DCM).

But my main gripe is that the pet food companies are completely silent about this. I contacted Taste of the Wild and their answer was 'oh we're adding taurine to the food', as if it's going to make the problem go away (nobody knows). So I'm limiting the risks and rotating foods that have grain in it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can you explain that? We keep our food in a Rubbermaid container and have for 12 years. Are you saying that's bad?
I put the whole bag of food in an airtight tupperware container, then i transfer a weeks worth of food into another air tight container. The less you open the original bag, the better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hmm that's a good idea. I really prefer to buy in bulk to save $ but have heard you have to use dog food within 6 weeks of opening the bag due to repeated exposure to light and oxygen. I wonder if this would help stretch that.
I put the whole bag of food in an airtight tupperware container, then i transfer a weeks worth of food into another air tight container. The less you open the original bag, the better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I buy the smallest bags available. A 3kg (6.6lb) lasts my dog just under 3mths. Just to make double sure, I put the container holding the bag in the fridge.

Save dollars, just to give you an example of the price differences between Australia and the US:

The smallest bag of Orijen original is $50 , the largest size is $180

Wellness Core 1.8kg (3.9lb) bag is $46

An Australian made super premium grain free food in my rotation is $47 for 3kg .

Just to give you an idea on how cheap your pet foods are over there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I go through 30lbs a month
I buy the smallest bags available. A 3kg (6.6lb) lasts my dog just under 3mths. Just to make double sure, I put the container holding the bag in the fridge.

Save dollars, just to give you an example of the price differences between Australia and the US:

The smallest bag of Orijen original is $50 , the largest size is $180

Wellness Core 1.8kg (3.9lb) bag is $46

An Australian made super premium grain free food in my rotation is $47 for 3kg .

Just to give you an idea on how cheap your pet foods are over there.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The smallest bags last my dog anywhere from 2-3 months so I don't worry about the 6 week rule. I'm not throwing out a large portion of food every bag. Besides, I've kept cookies and cereal for myself for just as long and still ate them lol air tight works wonders

·
Registered
101 Posts
I go through 30lbs a month
Haha That's just mind boggling to me. I'd have to mortgage my house to feed that much over here! What do i go through per month?? A little over 2lbs :peace: Little nugget does get a fair bit of fresh food mixed in to make his kibble last that long.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Is that stuff so expensive in Australia because it's imported or something? Although I remember it being pretty expensive in Europe too.

I think I'm around 60 lbs a month here between my three... half of it for the newfie.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is that stuff so expensive in Australia because it's imported or something? Although I remember it being pretty expensive in Europe too.

I think I'm around 60 lbs a month here between my three... half of it for the newfie.
Thats part of it, but everything is expensive here! I pay roughly the same or slightly, slightly cheaper for a comparable Australian made food.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts