Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,433 Posts
Science diet gets a lot of criticism from people that know nothing about the company or the food except for the ingredients.
So . . . If we can just ignore the ingredients, it's a wonderful food?

I know that's not what you meant. It just struck me as an interesting statement.

·
Registered
367 Posts
By the way, all of the new brands that people are listing that haven't had recalls, haven't had recalls simply because they're new. I wouldn't use it as an indicator of company quality.
My dogs are on Fromm and this company has been around since 1904--that isn't new. I base my choice on the fact that this is a smaller company with a real good track record when it comes to not having any recalls.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts

I know that's not what you meant. It just struck me as an interesting statement.
No, that's not what I meant at all. I struggled trying to find a better way to word it.
I don't feed Science Diet just because of the cost vs. the ingredients. I won't pay $15 for a bag of wheat, and I don't like the low protein or the concentration of plant matter vs. meat for my super high energy dog.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
My dogs are on Fromm and this company has been around since 1904--that isn't new. I base my choice on the fact that this is a smaller company with a real good track record when it comes to not having any recalls.
I wasn't referring to Fromm, or any dog food in particular.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

I don't think we should totally ignore ingredients, but I also think choosing a trustworthy company FIRST is more important.

I don't care if a food has the "sexiest" looking ingredient list out there, if it's made at a facility with a horrible quality control track record, lots of recalls, bad customer service, etc, etc, etc... I would choose a food with corn and wheat in it first, if they were my only choices.

I don't feed Science Diet, and most likely wouldn't, but I've changed my mind about them as of late. I'm not sure the ingredients we're been almost "trained" by the internet to hate are quite as bad as some think.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't think we should totally ignore ingredients, but I also think choosing a trustworthy company FIRST is more important.

I don't care if a food has the "sexiest" looking ingredient list out there, if it's made at a facility with a horrible quality control track record, lots of recalls, bad customer service, etc, etc, etc... I would choose a food with corn and wheat in it first, if they were my only choices.

I don't feed Science Diet, and most likely wouldn't, but I've changed my mind about them as of late. I'm not sure the ingredients we're been almost "trained" by the internet to hate are quite as bad as some think.
I agree 110%

·
Registered
3,065 Posts

I was hoping you'd stop by. :)

I know you've done lots of research about recalls, quality control, etc similar to what I have done. It's quite shocking what you find out about companies that seem to have the 'best' food.

·
Banned
1,767 Posts
Hmm I'm kind of in the opposite boat. I would care about the food before the company.

Essentially you think that a trustworthy company says more about the quality of the food as a whole more than the ingredients and makeup of the food right?

I don't think there's a clear cut right or wrong way to see these things since there's obviously a balance of what's more important, ingredients or company. Still if the only foods I could choose from was Diamond products and Hills products, I would definitely feed TotW.

Edit: @Hallie or whoever else might know, you mentioned how hills has a good policy for inspecting their ingredients. Purely out of curiosity, do you know what the levels of some corn and grain related toxins like aflatoxin are in their foods? I know the FDA has a maximum allowed level for these kinds of things (like ethoxyquin) for pet food. Does hills inspect their ingredients to simply to make sure they meet the FDA requirements or are they more strict about it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
As of Oct 2012, which Dog Foods have never been recalled? I am assuming this is a pretty short list.
Life's Abundance food, treats, grooming products, supplements have never been recalled.

All FDA recalls are voluntary. Food is contaminated most often because it is distributed to big box stores via warehouses that are not climate controlled and have pigeons or other pests that contaminate the food.

Life's Abundance food is distributed directly to the customer from online distributors, reducing the chances of contamination. For me, what's important is that they are privately owned and don't have to take short cuts to push up share holder value and profits. Dr. Bicks and the founders started the company so they could put in place practices to safe guard our fur babies!
I order here http://fifiandfido.com/

21 - 29 of 29 Posts