Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How common is it for dogs to be neutered/spayed where you live?

Here in Costa Rica I have probably only seen one male dog neutered. And it's not like these un-neutered dogs are for breeding, they just aren't snipped. It's frustrating for many reasons 1- the male dogs fight each other in the park sometimes, and 2- the male dogs chase around my poor puppy trying to hump her brains out the entire time. Since my dog is submissive, she just runs away instead of growling, so at least she's getting exercise, but still!:suspicious:

I don't get it because getting my female dog spayed here was EIGHT DOLLARS. That's right, $8.00. And it took an hour. Why not do it??

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Wow! That is really inexpensive where you are. :) I have to pay from $100 to $112 to spay/neuter one animal where I am located.
But, yes ... IMO ... I agree spay/neuter is the most responsible thing you can do to prevent unwanted puppies and cut down on all the dogs and pups that end up in shelters/rescues and have to die needlessly every day/year.

·
Registered
423 Posts
There's plenty of unaltered dogs running around the town I live in. I'm in the US.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Neutering/Spaying is more common in the US than it is in a lot of other countries, or so I"ve heard. Here, I'll go to the dog park and for every 40 dogs (MAYBE) one is intact. A lot of the dogs that are intact (especially the males) are so because of men are too proud and need to compensate for lacking in some other place.

An $8 spay??? Really?? I need to move, lol My dog's low cost neuter is still going to run me about $55 (though, I'm not complaining, I like the price and the clinic).

·
Banned
241 Posts
I don't get it because getting my female dog spayed here was EIGHT DOLLARS. That's right, $8.00. And it took an hour. Why not do it??
Please share how much a gallon of gas and a loaf of bread costs in USD so people can better understand the currency conversion going on here... :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An $8 spay??? Really?? I need to move, lol My dog's low cost neuter is still going to run me about $55 (though, I'm not complaining, I like the price and the clinic).
Costa Rica is a medical tourism country, and not just for people. My vet told me that he gets people who fly in with their pets from the USA to have expensive surgeries done and it comes out CHEAPER. Not quite worth it for a neuter, but for amputation, tumors, etc it can be!

And here a gallon of gas is around $5 and a loaf of bread is $1. Food's cheap:)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Please share how much a gallon of gas and a loaf of bread costs in USD so people can better understand the currency conversion going on here... :)
This doesn't actually have anything to do with the main point of the thread. However, I don't think that, if you're looking at currency conversion, $8 for a spay would be equivalent of the $150-$250 (average) prices that I've seen.

·
Registered
192 Posts
this makes no sense. he said 8 dollars. not 8 costa rica colons. and if I wanted to know the currency conversion, I would ask him to tell me the currency conversion, not the price of milk.

oh and the conversion is 1:500. but he didn't say 4000 dollars for neuter.

either way, if neuter is worth 8 loaves of bread, then its pretty cheap.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
It's possible the $8 spay was done by a charity, or at least partially funded by a charity. There are animal groups trying to promote spay/neuter in countries with a lot of free-roaming dogs, so they TNR the street dogs and offer low-cost services to owned dogs. If that's the going rate for a spay done by a for-profit vet. . .hmm, maybe cost-of-living is just way less?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The conversion makes no difference, really. $8.00 to him is $8.00. I consider that a reasonable amount, for sure, for a spay/neuter.

I am not sure how the question of conversion was relevant, unless you were simply trying to prove that the spay isn't as cheap as it appears, which, still, doesn't matter. The procedure was $8.00 to that person. Period.

·
Banned
241 Posts
The conversion makes no difference, really. $8.00 to him is $8.00. I consider that a reasonable amount, for sure, for a spay/neuter.

I am not sure how the question of conversion was relevant, unless you were simply trying to prove that the spay isn't as cheap as it appears, which, still, doesn't matter. The procedure was $8.00 to that person. Period.
$8.00 USD buys a LOT more in other parts of the world than it does here... It depends on the country. I can name several countries where the average daily wage is LESS than $8.00 USD, so yes it matters.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
$8.00 USD buys a LOT more in other parts of the world than it does here... It depends on the country. I can name several countries where the average daily wage is LESS than $8.00 USD, so yes it matters.
To you, yes. To him, no. He spent $8.00, and, by the way the original post is worded, it seems the person believes it is low and reasonable, since the OP said "why not do it?" That implies that the cost is very reasonable, and that the OP can't understand why everyone wouldn't do it.

·
Banned
241 Posts
To you, yes. To him, no. He spent $8.00, and, by the way the original post is worded, it seems the person believes it is low and reasonable, since the OP said "why not do it?" That implies that the cost is very reasonable, and that the OP can't understand why everyone wouldn't do it.
I have a mile long list of reasons NOT to do it. :)

First and foremost being that I do not 'need' to have surgery performed on my dogs to prevent pregnancy. Supervision and a leash work just fine for me.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I have a mile long list of reasons NOT to do it. :)

First and foremost being that I do not 'need' to have surgery performed on my dogs to prevent pregnancy. Supervision and a leash work just fine for me.
You are changing the point of the post. It isn't on the merits of spaying/neutering (on which there are tons of posts). It is on the COST of the procedure. The OP was taking the COST of the procedure into account.

That is great that supervision and leashing works for you. I know a lot of people who choose not to spay/neuter their dogs (their choice as long as they are responsible), but the OP clearly stated that people where he is don't control their dogs and the lack of nuetered males seems to be causing issues at parks, etc., thus the "why not do it" comment in reference to the cost not being crazy and the OP not understanding why people wouldn't take advantage in order to reduce the issues. :wave:

·
Banned
241 Posts
You are changing the point of the post. It isn't on the merits of spaying/neutering (on which there are tons of posts). It is on the COST of the procedure. The OP was taking the COST of the procedure into account.

:wave:
I would still not do it even if it was free... :wave:

Why would I even need to risk the possible (and documented) health risks associated with spay/neuter surgery if I am able to control my dogs?

I wonder how much the medication needed to deal with spay incontinence would cost me throughout the lifespan of a dog??? Saving a little money now (on a low cost spay) might not save me so much later... :)

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Oh for the love of god, who CARES what the conversion is. The OP essentially said "it's really affordable here!" the exact amount doesn't matter.

ETA: And if roaming intact dogs are causing problems there, then roaming intact dogs are causing problems there. It has nothing to do with why any of us as individuals choose to spay or neuter our pets.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
When talking about a country with millions of street dogs, discussing the health risks of a spay is fairly ridiculous. You're lucky enough to live in an area where the majority of dogs are speutered and/or kept confined. If there were 25 intact males waiting outside your house 24/7, ready to jump your female every time you open the door, every time she came into heat, you might feel differently.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts