Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my lil Roo neutered this past Friday. It was a cryptorchid so he has the usual neuter lesion AND a nice 3 inch stitched incision right next to his wangalangadingdang. He's been stuck in the cone for days and he's just dying to lick and he's just overall miserable. Every once in a while when I slip the cone off for something or other, he just goes to town! Part of me says this is an absolute NO, and part of me feels that it is just natural and maybe a lick here and there is ok and I find myself standing back holding the cone for a few seconds.

I called the vet on saturday and talked to the tech. She said absolutely No licking,collar,collar,collar! The note the vet sent home can be easily dissected to appease my natural instincts stating: To prevent him from excessively licking and chewing on his incision, you may need to use an e-collar when you can not be with him.
But I don't let him get more than a few in. What do you think?

No running, no swimming, no self licking. Rosco does all these things every day :( In the meantime we're both going stir crazy. Not to mention that goofy cone.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If he's off his pain meds I would take it off under supervision. But that's the opinion of someone non-medically trained!
Opinion's of someone's who are non-medically trained is all I ask for, so thanks! I think after tomorrow I'll give him a bit more freedom. The cone has turned out to be one of the worst parts of all this. He can't eat by himself, get a drink when he wants to, jump up on the bed...

·
Registered
15 Posts
My puppy was neutered last Wednesday. The Banfield Hospital vet said I needed to get a cone, but PetSmart (where the Banfield Hospital is located) didn't have the right size in stock. They did have the right size ProCollar, so I bought one of those instead. The Procollar is a blow-up tube that attaches to the dog's collar. It prevented my puppy from reaching back to lick his sutures, but still allowed him ample movement otherwise. He didn't like it, but he was coping. However, there was a slow leak in the inner tube, and every couple of hours, my puppy was able to reach back and lick his wound. So I had to blow it up again and again. Today, I put my puppy with his Procollar on in his crate and we drove to PetSmart to exchange the Procollar. On my way, I stopped at Petco. They had the right size cone, so I bought one. I figured if the cone ($12) worked, I would ask PetSmart for a refund (or store credit) for the leaking Procollar ($30). But the cone was torture for my puppy, especially when I put him in the crate before we drove to PetSmart. When we got to PetSmart I exchanged the Procollar for another one. So far the new Procollar has stayed inflated. Tomorrow, I'll try and return the cone to Petco for a refund. The ProCollar is far more comfortable for my puppy than the cone and is a great invention. I think $30 is a little steep, but $12 for the cone (essentially a piece of tinted plastic with holes) is a little steep, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts