Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Neutering at 6-Months Old?

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Mithency 
#1 ·
Hi! I was just trying to figure out the best age to get my puppy neutered. My vet told me when he turned 6 months she would do the procedure but a dog trainer I spoke to told me if you neuter them before they are fully grown they develop behavioral issues such as worsened separation anxiety...my puppy currently has bad separation anxiety so I am concerned about neutering at 6 months making that worse...any advice?

Thank you! :giggle:

#5 ·
That question opens up a can of worms similar to the ones that exist over raw food vs kibble, annual vaccines vs minimal vaccines and titering, and training methods. As mentioned, there has been some research done within the past decade or so that indicates in some cases that not altering them is the better choice. One of the main questions to ask yourself is "can I live with an intact dog, and make sure that he never has the chance to sire an accidental litter?". If you can, then waiting to neuter until physical maturity is the better option if he has to be neutered.

Reactions: stephaniechrin
#6 ·
I had my dog neutered when he was 13 months old. The primary reason I waited was to be sure he had reached his "normal" full grown size.

The research I had done indicated to me that the closing of bone growth plates would be retarded if neutered early. This can lead to weaker bones and a taller dog than normal. The bones tend to be more susceptible to problems later in the animal's life.

Research has also indicated that there is no advantage to early neutering and later neutering is becoming preferred.

Only you and your Vet can decide about when or if your pet should be neutered.

FWIW, I would ignore the dog trainer's advice about the health of your pet or procedures for your pet. Only your Vet should advise you on such matters.

#7 ·
There is some research that indicates neutering early can lead to an increased risk of cancer, behavioral issues, and improper (lankier, less muscle) growth because of the lack of hormones. For these reason, it seems to be generally suggested to wait until a year old or until growth is complete to neuter or spay. Others say it is better to never neuter. That choice is ultimately up to you.

My dog was adopted from a rescue, and neutering was mandatory before I could adopt him, so he was neutered at six months old. If I were to do it my way, I would neuter past the one year mark when growth is complete. For our lifestyle, I find it's easier to deal with a dog who is neutered because they charge more at boarding or daycare facilities for unfixed dogs, or they don't allow them all together. It's also just another worry off my mind. I don't ever have to worry about my dog creating a litter of puppies.

#8 ·
All of my male dogs were neutered at 6 - 9 mos. with no noticeable ill effects. Some research has suggested neutering after about 2 years to guarantee full growth. Your Vet will be familiar with current clinical studies, and will have her own opinion based on experience etc. Ask for her opinion, based on what you just read. Trust your Vet for her training and experience.

Note - A Vet goes through 5 - 10 years of school and certifications. I doubt that most trainers have that type of health certifications. Training certifications are a different focus.

#9 · (Edited)
Another dog soon to be needlessly mutilated and irreversibly deprived of a major component of the hormone system for the rest of his life.

Good luck with that. What next weird, mysterious, heartwrenching ailment will this dog later bring to the board to add to the long list here? Golly gee, I wonder what could be wrong with this picture?

#11 ·
Obviously dogs aren't horses, but I think pretty much any equestrian can confirm that geldings (castrated horses) live as long or longer than stallions, in as good of health or better. I'd be interested to hear what specifically is different about canine physiology that being neutered when full-grown would cause health problems in dogs where it doesn't in equines.

I've yet to see scientific evidence showing, or even strongly suggesting, that neutering full-grown dogs has a deleterious effect on their health or longevity. If there's been a study or some such that I'm not aware of, I'd be very interested to hear about that, as well.

Heck, there have been a few interesting historical studies that suggest eunuchs probably had longer lifespans that intact men who had similar lifestyles...so that's something to think about. What would you trade for some extra years of life? lol.

#12 ·
Heck, there have been a few interesting historical studies that suggest eunuchs probably had longer lifespans that intact men who had similar lifestyles...so that's something to think about. What would you trade for some extra years of life? lol.
You're getting warmer. (Don't stop now.) And I doubt your dog is LOLing while you make that decision to cut off his balls which, face it, you would DEFINITELY NOT make for yourself.

No matter what your vet (a.k.a. Big Brother with his/her own multiple vested interests- you really believe otherwise?) said.

#18 ·
One thing to take into account is the breed of dog (or mix/size of dog) you're talking about when determining the age. Large and giant breeds are much healthier being spayed/neutered at an older age (14-18 mos.), while smaller breeds can be spayed/neutered younger. So knowing the type of dog you have (even if it's not purebred, you should have a good idea of the mix and the adult size) will help to make the decision.

That said, if the dog is mostly an outdoor dog, then to avoid increasing potentially unwanted litters, spay/neuter early!

Ultimately we need to keep in mind the heath of our beautiful family members, as well as be responsible parents for any "antics" they could get into if they have the opportunity...

Just my two cents! ;):)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.