Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 6 month old puppy just got neutered 4 weeks ago, and he's recovered rapidly in just a few days and everything has been going great. I thought I avoided the marking problem, but BAM comes the problem.

Usually, when he needs to go outside, he goes to the door, sits there, and whines. He has had no accident inside the house for 2 or 3 months now. But two days ago, I was training him before a meal to go in his crate on command. He walked in to his crate, I called him out, but as he began walking out, he started peeing as he was walking, then stopped half way to me and full on peed. So there was a trail of pee starting in his crate zigzagging to the middle of the living room. There was no sniffing, no circling, no whining; it just started randomly. It was such a bizarre peeing accident. So I thought maybe he just couldn't hold it for some reason (my dad says he probably has to pee more often in the cold weather??). So I cleaned that up and started giving him treats for going outside again.

Then come today, he was doing fine. We went out shopping, and came home to his relaxed and quiet in his crate. I took him out and he did his business and all was good. Then about 3 hours later, I was on my computer on the couch and all of a sudden I thought I smelled urine. But that was strange since he didn't go to the door and whine, it's only been 3 hours since he last went and he didn't drink much water after, and I didn't even hear or see him pee. He was just trotting around chewing on his toys. But when I checked all around, I found wet spots on the rug next to the coffee table. So I was really confused, but then when I was cleaning the mess, I found pee up on the side of the coffee table leg. That made me think that he was marking instead of this being a housetraining accident.

Since my pup is already neutered, what should I do to handle the marking situation? Do I go about it as I would a housetraining accident? Just merely interrupt him? But what should I do to proactively prevent it? Since the timing is totally random and not related to water intake, would crating him then take him out even help? (especially since he started peeing inside the crate and got pee all over his dog bed...)

Sorry for the looong essay there. But I really would like to nip this problem in the bud so I don't have to deal with marking along with all the other goodies of the adolescent stage (bark bark bark bark bark test test test test test arghhhhhh). I would reaaaaally appreciate any help and advice!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
first off 3 hours is still to long to exspect him to hold it in. Mine would do well at 2 hours at that age.

Some times after a dog is fixed they kinda "forget" house training. I'd also talk to your vet, it sounds like he doesnt know he has to go.

He's not marking. He just has to pee.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your response zeronightfarm. Gahhhh, that is good to know, I'll start the housetraining process again just in case.

Also, is 3 hours really too long for a 6 month old puppy?? All the research I've done says he should be able to hold it for at least 5-6 hours now, and he's been consistently holding it for between 5 to 6 hours, some times even longer. This is true even the weeks after being neutered up till this week. So is this an isolated incident in terms of holding duration, or is it a side effect of the surgery, or are puppies that age simply incapable of holding for more than that? Ahhh, I keep hearing so many different things now I'm just getting confused.

Again, I really appreciate the help and hopefully I can manage the situation accordingly right away, and be able to plan for the future as well!

·
Registered
630 Posts
My dog is now 17 months old and sometimes he has to go twice in a period of an hour. Other times he will go 7 or 8 hours. It all depends on how much he has been playing. He lets me know, of course. I only take him out when he asks to go. If your puppy doesn't have a urinary infection or problem and he's not letting you know, he probably needs to have his potty training reinforced. Even neutered dogs, male or female, will mark at times, if you let them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks JuneBud. It's really helpful to know the inconsistently of how long puppies can hold their pee. Wish more places would mention that instead of just saying # of months + 1 hour!

Even neutered dogs, male or female, will mark at times, if you let them.
Regarding this comment, is there anything I can proactively do so I can NOT let him mark?

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
# of months + 1 hour is a general rule of thumb. I believe that if there is no UTI, then your dog just needs a house training refresher.

Also, for the most part, a male will lift his leg to mark. When he squats or dribbles, then he has to pee, he is not marking. However, some male dogs will lift their leg to pee, also.

My dog was fixed at 6 mos. He didn't lift his leg until 3 years. He still marks at 11 years. He sometimes pees by lifting his leg, but when his eyes are floating, he squats....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts