Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kabota is around 3 years old and was neutered 3 months ago. Last night, he went insane when a neighbor went by with his female Rottweiler. I know she's not spayed because he's mentioned his plans to breed her. (yay, BYB)

Kabota likes the rotti, but no more than he likes all other dogs. Last night, we crossed their path and he went nuts, sniffing furiously, whining and pulling. I think he would have choked himself to death on the end of the leash had I let him. Once we got past them, Kabota calmed down.

I've never had a dog that wasn't neutered as a puppy. Could he still have hormones still? If so, how long will that last?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
My dog was neutered at 6 mos, before he became active. He didn't learn to lift his leg until he was 3 yo. When he was about 8 yo, he ran into a Pit bull, in the dog park, that was just coming out of heat... He tried to hump her three times, and the third time she said OK.... and I got a lesson in the birds and the bees.

I don't think that my dog would try to escape to locate an unknown dog in heat, but if someone comes to the dog park in heat, he will do what Kabota does. However, the intact males will be even more insistent...

So, with some dogs, a good whiff is enough to set things in motion, regardless of ability to sire puppies...

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope he mellows a bit with age. I hope the rotti's owner doesn't get a lesson in walking dogs in heat around a neighborhood filled with dogs. What the world needs less than BYB rottis is rotti mixes.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I believe it's illegal where I live to take an unspayed female into public while she's in heat. Of course that doesn't always deter people...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts